Jackson Irvine - Signed for Hull City

Nuwtfly

17 minutes ago, barnsley ram said:

yes cheers for again pointing out my lack of observation always someone on this site who put you right!

No need to get prickly about it. If you post somehting that's completely untrue (that Nigel was unappreciated for the foundations he put in place) then you are going to get corrected on it.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i didnt post something that isnt true i  just did not agree with the statement that nigel was only good at spotting players ok you dont agree no big deal only my opinion so i have been accused of being unobservent  and now being untruthful please stick to the facts

16 hours ago, barnsley ram said:

i didnt post something that isnt true i  just did not agree with the statement that nigel was only good at spotting players ok you dont agree no big deal only my opinion so i have been accused of being unobservent  and now being untruthful please stick to the facts

Nigel has proven his level. He's a good eye for players, particularly plying their trade in lower standard leagues and can get a squad of players to gel into a team. He can do the seemingly impossible of keeping teams way from relegation, despite Burton being considered one of the smallest ever second tier teams. 

What he cannot do is push on a get a team near the playoffs, let alone automatic promotion. Burton were top when he took over in League 1, nearly messed that up. Derby haven't finished lower than 8th since he left...I appreciate Nigel's job for us and the restrictions in place, but would I have him back. You're good ta

51 minutes ago, r4derby said:

Nigel has proven his level. He's a good eye for players, particularly plying their trade in lower standard leagues and can get a squad of players to gel into a team. He can do the seemingly impossible of keeping teams way from relegation, despite Burton being considered one of the smallest ever second tier teams. 

What he cannot do is push on a get a team near the playoffs, let alone automatic promotion. Burton were top when he took over in League 1, nearly messed that up. Derby haven't finished lower than 8th since he left...I appreciate Nigel's job for us and the restrictions in place, but would I have him back. You're good ta

This is what I struggle with.

The accusation that he can't get a team challenging for promotion, it's total ********.

His first three seasons at Burton he had them 2nd, 2nd and 1st. (so that's twice runners up, plus automatic)

HIs last three seasons at Burton he had them 6th, 5th and 1st. (play offs and autos)

His two seasons at Sheffield United he got them 7th (after taking over when they were 2nd bottom) and then 5th and two cup semi finals. (play offs)

Burton, despite all of this limping over the line talk, they were never out of the top two (or maybe for one week) - (autos)

He can't get a team challenging is one of the biggest myths posted about his management career so far.

1 minute ago, ronnieronalde said:

This is what I struggle with.

The accusation that he can't get a team challenging for promotion, it's total ********.

His first three seasons at Burton he had them 2nd, 2nd and 1st. (so that's twice runners up, plus automatic)

HIs last three seasons at Burton he had them 6th, 5th and 1st. (play offs and autos)

His two seasons at Sheffield United he got them 7th (after taking over when they were 2nd bottom) and then 5th and two cup semi finals. (play offs)

Burton, despite all of this limping over the line talk, they were never out of the top two (or maybe for one week) - (autos)

He can't get a team challenging is one of the biggest myths posted about his management career so far.

I agree with this, but where his Burton team now? The cmahpionship is a different beast to league 2. Sheff Utd are running away with League 1 now, under a diff manager. Clough was seen as failing after only getting them to 5th, sure that's their fans and silly high expectations.

bare in mind we were 4/5th bottom when Pearson was sacked. We're not the 5th worst team in this league, just a poor run of form.

Clough is doing above average things with Burton. At Derby, he was showing that mid table was the best we could do.

listen, this isn't a bash on Nigel. We will never know what he might have achieved had we given him another few seasons. As it is, we moved on and have been one of the best sides in the division since 

1 hour ago, r4derby said:

fair comment only opinions but time will tell

• 1 month later...
PistoldPete2

If we wanted to do business with burton, that will be made easier now that Rush has gone, and with Rowett as manager. 

Archived