Jackson Irvine - Signed for Hull City

Nuwtfly

1 hour ago, BurtonRam7 said:

His goals have mainly come as a result of his aerial threat from set pieces and crosses into the box; not necessarily the Bryson-style goals of 13/14. Other than that, I believe (from what I've heard from Burton fans) he's fairly average. Don't think he's really the answer.

Not much of that is correct, but did make me chuckle :D

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He has been their poty so far and is box-to-box and all action. 8 goals probably has him top of the midfield scorers in the league. All this for a team in the bottom 4 and he is only 23

Let me suggest you watch him in the flesh before making dishing out rash judgements (as usual). This little old Burton prejudice is ridiculous..........

Just now, Nuwtfly said:

Same amount of goals as Sammon and he's two years younger. Would cost about a third as much as has more goals than Lansbury. But because he plays for Burton, he's not good enough...sigh. 

OK, I tried to type the name of the Barnsley Captain, and got Connor Sammon.

2 hours ago, Ram a lamb a ding dong said:

He has been their poty so far and is box-to-box and all action. 8 goals probably has him top of the midfield scorers in the league. All this for a team in the bottom 4 and he is only 23

Let me suggest you watch him in the flesh before making dishing out rash judgements (as usual). This little old Burton prejudice is ridiculous..........

I've only said what I've heard (the average part), I clearly stated that they were some (admittedly only a few) Burton fans' opinions. I do know however that a lot of his goals have come from his head from set pieces. This is nothing to do with the Burton connection, as I rate a few Burton players such as McLaughlin, McFadzean (minus the violence), Brayford and Palmer. I personally think Lansbury or Sammon would be better because of their all-round play.

He's been a revelation for Burton. He is a major threat in the air whether it's from set pieces or crosses but he's also got a very tidy composed finish on him with his feet.

He does most things well, maybe he's lacking a bit of a "killer"  passing range but he does keep the ball ticking over, he's got bags of energy, times his runs well, is nice and aggressive without being over zealous and I'd say he's only going to get better.

Ove the last ten games or so he's clearly tried to up his involvement and he's set himself up as the one driving the Brewers forward. For 300k he was an absolutely cracking buy.

I think he'll stay till the summer at least BUT if it was my club and I got a bid anywhere near 3m I'd sell him like a shot. That kind of money is way too good for Burton to turn down and could set them up financially to be more competitive at whatever level they're at next season.

Do I think he's good enough for Derby right now? Probably not quite. Looking at the plethora of midfield options the rams have, I'd say it would halt his progression to join a club he's not going to be a regular starter for.

Do I think he'll be much much better with a couple of seasons in England under his belt, yes absolutely. He's a bit different to Bryson, I think Craig is probably the better player but Jackson's got a lot of potential and if he goes on to be as good as Craig he'll move for a couple of million soon enough.

On 1/6/2017 at 03:06, bcnram said:

How many of you have seen him regularly enough to make a judgement? :)

I've watched him over the years, mostly for Australian youth sides. He's decent, improving and can do a job going forward and defensively. He's starting to get a run for Australia, but is still down the pecking order against Mooy, Milligan and Jedinak. He's not better than what we have, but could be a handy player. I'd pass on him. 

Edit: Worth pointing out that when I say "can do a job defensively", I mean he's actually quite a capable centrehalf as well, not unlike Hanson. What I'm finding interesting this season is that he's gone very Cahill-esque and is finding space in that others aren't, not something I've seen from him in the past. The Australian media is going crazy about him at the very least. I'd prefer he stayed as the main man at Burton than become a backup or squad player elsewhere in the division though. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived