Name and shame yourself

Day

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two signings I thought were a waste of space, based purely and simply upon who we signed them from. I had never seen Kevin Hector or Roy McFarland play before they pulled on a Derby shirt. Hector, better than Eddie Thomas? Barmy. I was also bitterly disappointed over the purchase of Archie Gemmill - I thought from a radio report on my way home from school that we had landed Celtic hero Tommy Gemmell.

Leave me alone - I can't help being thick.

Remember watching Conor Sammon score a goal for Wigan (vs West Ham I think) & thought he looked very powerful, quick & worked hard. Was very pleased when we signed him but just didn't work out.

On the flip side, was very underwhelmed by most of the signings Jim Smith made early in 95/96 especially after spending millions on Kitson, Pembridge, Johnson & Short in preceding years. History judges Willems, Van der Laan, Powell, Carbon & Rowett to have been much more effective though. Probably a lesson in there for our current situation.

Really didn't see why we would want a scruffy, nasty and sometimes mardy  centre forward at the time, but Charlie George became one of my all time favourite Derby County players. 

I vowed never to pre-judge a player again and nowadays I love a scruffy, nasty and sometimes mardy centre forward. ;)

Unfortunately my resolution to give everyone a chance also led to me thinking the earlier-mentioned Derek Hales was going to be brilliant!

Not what the question was, but Chris Martin proved me right!

Saw him on loan at us, he tried to pass the ball with the outside of his boot. Having not seen a Derby player do that before, I figured he'd turn into something special with a proper pre-season in him. Thank you for proving me right Chrissy.

I will give Chris Baird some credit though as he's the only one that immediately spring to mind as proving me wrong. I thought he was past it, and he was doing a damn fine job of looking like he was for a season and a bit. Then McClaren came back and Baird showed us what we'd been missing. Keep it up Baird.

19 hours ago, Duracell said:

I'd describe Hulse as par. Justified his fee - no more, no less.

When he and Commons were playing together, they could make an awful side look mediocre.

Hulse was a great striker for us, he commanded a £4m bid which in today's market is probably triple that. He had ***** service and still scored goals in those awful sides. I wonder what he'd have managed in a side like ours now.

For me it was Jamie Ward. I failed to see anything other than a little dick of a workhorse who scored the odd goal. Never been more wrong. He was OUR little **** of a workhorse who had tricks and goals in him. Great little player to have.

When we signed Weimann in 2015 I thought he will never fit in our 433 possession system and I was still worried when I saw him pre-season so I started a thread saying we had made an error.

But 2 seasons later, I can honestly say....oh wait...

I did think Warnock was past it at the same time but he managed a good half season for us in 2015/16.

8 minutes ago, sage said:

When we signed Weimann in 2015 I thought he will never fit in our 433 possession system and I was still worried when I saw him pre-season so I started a thread saying we had made an error.

But 2 seasons later, I can honestly say....oh wait...

I did think Warnock was past it at the same time but he managed a good half season for us in 2015/16.

Make room @Bris Vegas, one more for the pedestal.

I thought moving Chris Martin on last summer was totally the right move. I also publicly demanded that Darren Bent should never be allowed to wear a Derby shirt again, just before he started scoring in every game.

The ones's I've got wrong I got spectacularly wrong. Garry Teale and Isak Ssewankambo spring to mind.

Personal worst though, I put a quid on Nugent never to score for the club. Got good odds but didn't take long to lose...then be made to look stupid

20 hours ago, coneheadjohn said:

I was similar with Junior in that he was Brazilian,had a nick name as a real name and had funky hair.

It didn't matter if he was any good.

I saw junior in a pre season game in norway

Didnt come on until half time,scored 6 goals 

But when teams got better than a park side,his game was up

26 minutes ago, Cardifframs said:

I saw junior in a pre season game in norway

Didnt come on until half time,scored 6 goals 

But when teams got better than a park side,his game was up

TBH, until he got injured at Forest, after scoring, he was looking a pretty decent bet. And then we signed Manuel Manel. Oh dear..... 

Archived