Chris Martin - joined Reading on loan until the end of the season

DcFc Dyycheee

17 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

What? He was going to give him chance to discover his hidden speed and chasing ability? :lol: Rowett has intended to play a certain way (ask Butterfield) from at least the end of last season!

Chatting nonsense if you are attempting to slag the current style of play off. Miles better to watch than any of the dross served up since 2013/14. Far too slow, predictable & boring over the last few years. We needed a change as had become stale, with Martin a big part of that. Those that still think Rowett philosophies are long ball need to actually pay attention and watch a game of football. Best manager we have had in years. Implmenting an effective style at both end of the field and always honest after games. 

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, 86 points said:

Soz Spanish. I guess being someone who rates Martin a decent striker that makes me a Martinite so I'll endeavour to offer a half sensible reply. In short, I'm not sure there is a role for Chris. I'd thought that him playing with Vyds might be an intriguing option, given a fair run of games, but it's clear that's not in Gaz's mind.

I'd be happy if he stayed as he's a great option to have when we are closing games out but it seems we are paying plenty for that option and how long before Chris himself starts pushing for a move? There's also the possibility that a sale would free up cash for another smart signing; midfield cover, an experienced keeper, an absolute flyer on the wing...

It's a hard call as personally I have a lot of loyalty where the lad's concerned and don't understand why some folk on here are so snidey about him all the time. That said, the current situation doesn't look tenable at all.

No need to soz! His performances haVe generated a lot of loyalty but, like you, not sure there is a solution that makes sense to anybody.  He certainly has polarised opinion and I think some of the extreme responses are more directed at the 'opposite' side rather than cm himself. Which was the away game where jr hit a long ball which cm took down and hit it in a single hit, sublime skill

1 minute ago, Spanish said:

No need to soz! His performances haVe generated a lot of loyalty but, like you, not sure there is a solution that makes sense to anybody.  He certainly has polarised opinion and I think some of the extreme responses are more directed at the 'opposite' side rather than cm himself. Which was the away game where jr hit a long ball which cm took down and hit it in a single hit, sublime skill

Spot on 

10 minutes ago, Spanish said:

Which was the away game where jr hit a long ball which cm took down and hit it in a single hit, sublime skill

Preston North End. 

Probably my fav CM goal, that touch and finish is on another level.

The free kick wasn't bad either. 

57 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Of course I knew we played 4-3-3. My point was Rowett only did so cursorily and after he'd tried and failed to sign Jerome.

Edit: do I have to agree with everything that the club says and does to be a supporter then? Or were you just having a pop too?

We played 433 long before any link with Jerome... 

Martin started the opening couple of games and was poor, not just because it was a different role in the fact that he needed to be more mobile, but also in the basics like his much praised hold up play- he couldn’t trap a bag of cement against wolves!

Now I ain’t a Martin hater and don’t normally want to get involved in discussions like this but I can’t help myself when things are seemingly fabricated on both sides of the arguement to either belittle Martin or slam Rowett. Martin has been an excellent player for us, probbaly our best number nine this century and for that he deserved absolute respect. But let’s not pretend Rowetts had something against him and forced him into how he’s played this season, he just hasn’t been as good as our other three strikers this year, simple as. He’s been given chances early on in the season and pre season and he didn’t take them. I’d argue that he struggled mainly due to the midfield more than his own ability but you still can’t blame Rowett for wanting to replace him now.

Jerome is in as his replacement, a much more suitable one than the crock of **** Pearson attempted to serve up. We thank Martin for all his considerable efforts and we move on imo, no need to try and fabricate that Rowett had some cunning plan to kick him out the moment he got the job!

2 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I’d argue that he struggled mainly due to the midfield more than his own ability but you still can’t blame Rowett for wanting to replace him now...

I'm not blaming Rowett, its his choice. Just as getting rid of Will Hughes was and if some are to be believed Ince too. His choice.

43 minutes ago, archied said:

He may well have known what type player Martin was but also gave him chance to adjust

NEWSFLASH!,,,,,,,,,,

regulation brought in to stop managers buying players unless they have sold the player they may replace  ,,,, as it’s unfair to expect players to fight for their place ,,,,,, get real , wisdom came in as right back yet is having a hard time dislodging an ageing Chris Baird lost count of the Buxton replacements who could not shift him or Keogh come to that

you are questioning the integrity of a highly regarded young manager who also served our club as a player for doing the job of being a manager and it’s a sad state of affairs which reflects poorly on you ,not rowett , it’s one thing to not rate him as a manager ,where you are is quite another thing 

Hear hear 

I was so in favour of Martin and Vydra for the first quarter or so of this season, because I thought the attacking plan wasn’t as reliable as it should have been early on.

It’s grown into the season and now we’re extremely clinical with what we get, it’s an effective part of the system.

Sort of an inverse of the 4-3-3 which had a top 6 defence because the attack was the best in the league we now have a top 6 attack because the defence is the best in the league.

We feed off other teams getting sucked in with a mobile front two and play in the space behind the defence rather than slicing through it with quick passing. I hate the whole “is it entertaining though” argument because it’s completely beside the point but the attacking style has come on a lot, it gets a lot out of a little hence us being xG defying. I don’t think you can argue that any of Nugent, Winnall or Jerome are better players than Martin, or even as good as him, but they’re better in this system.

My concerns about our attack have gone (especially now we’ve signed Jerome, who’s such a Rowett player) so I can let go of Martin, who is by all means my favourite Derby striker of all time and a fantastic player at this level. We don’t *need* him, I think he’d be a great luxury option for No.9 but I’m at peace with him leaving.

I’d love it if Lambert got desperate and chucked a load of money at us, on one hand for the dosh and the other to see Martin get a shot in the Prem. He’s got the skill of a PL player, if you got quality forwards around him (Shaqiri) I think he’d make the leap.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

I'm not blaming Rowett, its his choice. Just as getting rid of Will Hughes was and if some are to be believed Ince too. His choice.

How many times are you going to blame Rowett for Hughes and Ince going  If you ever listened to what Rowett said he said both players came to see him and expressed their wish to go to a Premiership club  Roy there's one thing disliking somebody but when it becomes an obsession then its very unhealthy

31 minutes ago, Ramdale said:

Chatting nonsense if you are attempting to slag the current style of play off. Miles better to watch than any of the dross served up since 2013/14. Far too slow, predictable & boring over the last few years. We needed a change as had become stale, with Martin a big part of that. Those that still think Rowett philosophies are long ball need to actually pay attention and watch a game of football. Best manager we have had in years. Implmenting an effective style at both end of the field and always honest after games. 

Now that really is a load of cobblers..

The current style of play is nowhere near the quality of that season.....we are effective now granted and that's a good thing but to believe its better than 2013/14 is borderline delusional.

I have found this season's football far less entertaining than under Mac(one),it just doesn't flow and build as we did at our best......you may like that,it may even get us promoted but not everyone is as big a fan of this type football as you.

Now I'll be happy if it gets us promoted,brilliant but I'm still hoping for a different style of play in the future,no matter

In respect of Martin,I'm happy for him to leave....it will be good to watch him play his way elsewhere but depending on where he goes he could have a negative impact in Derbys promotional aspirations as a competitors striker.

1 hour ago, Ramdale said:

Exactly, he isn't helping the club at all right now, so my point is we need to get him off the books at the cots he is to us.

Don't know what " isn't helping the club at all " is supposed to mean.

Take it you weren't at St Andrews on Saturday to see what Martin did in the few minutes he was on the pitch. Martin is still a good player but he cant do the running and chasing that Rowett expects from his forwards.  Rowett has made his decision with the signing of Jerome though Martin could have offered the ability to hold the ball and pass it accurately and  do that better than some other forwards and there might have been situations where that could have been useful.

Now Martin has to do what is best for himself and has no obligation at all to agree to the first offer that comes in. The excitement and frustration of some on here clamouring for this to be resolved immediately is naive. This could well go to the last day of the transfer window.

25 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

I was so in favour of Martin and Vydra for the first quarter or so of this season, because I thought the attacking plan wasn’t as reliable as it should have been early on.

It’s grown into the season and now we’re extremely clinical with what we get, it’s an effective part of the system.

Sort of an inverse of the 4-3-3 which had a top 6 defence because the attack was the best in the league we now have a top 6 attack because the defence is the best in the league.

We feed off other teams getting sucked in with a mobile front two and play in the space behind the defence rather than slicing through it with quick passing. I hate the whole “is it entertaining though” argument because it’s completely beside the point but the attacking style has come on a lot, it gets a lot out of a little hence us being xG defying. I don’t think you can argue that any of Nugent, Winnall or Jerome are better players than Martin, or even as good as him, but they’re better in this system.

My concerns about our attack have gone (especially now we’ve signed Jerome, who’s such a Rowett player) so I can let go of Martin, who is by all means my favourite Derby striker of all time and a fantastic player at this level. We don’t *need* him, I think he’d be a great luxury option for No.9 but I’m at peace with him leaving.

I’d love it if Lambert got desperate and chucked a load of money at us, on one hand for the dosh and the other to see Martin get a shot in the Prem. He’s got the skill of a PL player, if you got quality forwards around him (Shaqiri) I think he’d make the leap.

145 pages, and the best post among them.

25 minutes ago, Mistaram said:

How many times are you going to blame Rowett for Hughes and Ince going  If you ever listened to what Rowett said he said both players came to see him and expressed their wish to go to a Premiership club  Roy there's one thing disliking somebody but when it becomes an obsession then its very unhealthy

Never heard that, I did see an interview with Ince that he stated that GR brought him into the office after the season had finished and said he was free to go as he needed the funds.

Archived