Rowett's availability...

Parsnip

Why the obsession with Rowett? He's shown he can build attritional, pragmatic but effective sides with little to no money from scratch.

We want somebody who can rebuild a side into a possession based attacking side.  

Most managers have a philosophy in which the believe in… would he change that for us? Perhaps what we've seen so far isn't his philosophy and he's actually that good a manager he's adapted to his situation?

He's shown that he can do a different job to the one we need doing and so would be as big a gamble as hiring some unknown. 

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, 86 points said:

Chelsea have had 5 managers in 5 years and the current one ain't going anywhere soon. We've had 5 in 18 months and now you want another one. Has it ever occurred to you that this kind of entitled garbage is what undermined the team in the first place?

Whats the point in sticking with the weong appointment for 2-3 years? 

Lets give mcclaren time... he has never 'turned it around' anywhere he has been. Clough lasted five years because there was signs if the squad improving year on year. I dont think McClaren has it in him to  slowly improve and build a side

Clement probably did but was given the boot, pearson clearly didnt & mcclaren probably doesnt

Chelsea also had three managers in the space of 18 months and won a champions league and UEFA cup

Has it ever occured to you that nobody really builds a side with young platers over a 5-6 year period anymore because its not Brain Clough & the 70s..., money and sucess tend to go hand in hand in football 

The main assets for the type of manager a club like Dcfc will need in future will be man management and credibility. At the moment these attributes have deserted Mac. I think Steve, in the interests of stability should see out his contract. After that probably an foreign coach, someone that the players may be unfamiliar and a bit wary of. It's working successfully at a number of clubs and we need to have an open view on this.

I've posted this in another thread, and I've not read through the previous posts;

but what is the clamour and obsession for Rowett? Especially over Mac? 

Rowett has won nothing as a manager - some dismiss Mac's successes as not good enough.

Rowett performed well with Birmingham but only ended with a win % of 39.6 overall. Mac's is still 52.5% with us.

At the tail end of last season he oversaw a return of 12pts from a possible 42pts (2 wins in 14 games), the same kind of form we're currently in and some want Mac sacked for. 

Others moan about Mac's eye for a player - Rowett brought Shotton off us...:lol: I joke, Rowett seems to have bought well where he's been (Brum's January signings must have been lined up by Rowett IMO).  

I am saying this as a fan of Rowett, I've said before I'd like to see him manage us one day but that day is not yet IMO. 

9 hours ago, cannable said:

Why the obsession with Rowett? He's shown he can build attritional, pragmatic but effective sides with little to no money from scratch.

We want somebody who can rebuild a side into a possession based attacking side.  

Rowett isn't your man then. At Burton he would always tell the players, only 1 or 2 passes, then an attacking pass every time. None of this sideways passing and endless possession that you seem to like at Derby.

One other point, you really don't want to sack Mac. You haven't exactly given him time to get his own players in. If you do get rid, most fans from other teams will laugh at you as much as they do Forest currently. I think your issue is some bad eggs in your team that are disruptive. 

20 hours ago, Parsnip said:

First of all chill the fukc out - I'm not knee jerking and demanding McClaren be sacked immediately.

Steve has proved that with the right players he can get our team playing consistantly well all season and make us genuine challengers next season. I think the wise move would be to back him over the summer, let him build the team and go again next season - with Steve in charge. STABILITY IS KEY.

But...

There are a couple of other good managers available. I'm a bit fickle, I like change... I wanted Rowett after Pearson and i'd still be pretty excited if he was brought in, or someone else like that (young, passionate, football minded). And i'll never properly forgive or trust Steve, the filthy judas, so...

Is anyone else a bit torn on this?

This boils down to the fans that were adamant they didn't want him back and the ones that were happy to have him saunter back through the door with his coffee cup and his cliches. 

I didnt want him back, he's a judas and he cannot sustain a full season of consistent football. 

If he was a striker you would be calling for him to be sold based purely on his football performances. Would you stand for a striker that didn't perform after Christmas?? 

Alao wanted Rowett

37 minutes ago, Shaftesbury st said:

This boils down to the fans that were adamant they didn't want him back and the ones that were happy to have him saunter back through the door with his coffee cup and his cliches. 

I didnt want him back, he's a judas and he cannot sustain a full season of consistent football. 

If he was a striker you would be calling for him to be sold based purely on his football performances. Would you stand for a striker that didn't perform after Christmas?? 

Alao wanted Rowett

Judas betrayed Jesus

Steve McClaren was sacked by Derby County 

12 hours ago, G-Ram said:

Whats the point in sticking with the weong appointment for 2-3 years? 

Lets give mcclaren time... he has never 'turned it around' anywhere he has been. Clough lasted five years because there was signs if the squad improving year on year. I dont think McClaren has it in him to  slowly improve and build a side

Clement probably did but was given the boot, pearson clearly didnt & mcclaren probably doesnt

Chelsea also had three managers in the space of 18 months and won a champions league and UEFA cup

Has it ever occured to you that nobody really builds a side with young platers over a 5-6 year period anymore because its not Brain Clough & the 70s..., money and sucess tend to go hand in hand in football 

Money certainly helps but what's more important is continuity, a clear vision and allowing managers time to build a squad that can play the system they want. I'm no expert but I can't think that Crystal Palace, Wigan or Blackpool had massive resources, yet all achieved promotion to the premiership. If Mac is still in trouble come Christmas then fair enough, but getting shot now would be nuts.

As for Chelsea, Boris has dropped cash equivalent to double Mel's entire net worth so any financial comparisons are the footballing equivalent of comparing Bradley with Beckenbauer. 

7 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

The last thing we need is to bring in a new manager with an entirely different philosophy to the previous manager.

No, keep sacking managers until every player in our starting 11 was bought by 11 different blokes with 11 different ideas on how to do things.

PistoldPete2
33 minutes ago, Alpha said:

And by any measurement. If Mac is a failure then so is Rowett.

Has Mac ever played in the Premier league? How many times has Rowett been sacked? Once I think and the majority view is that was a ridiculous sacking. How many times has Mac been sacked? Five that I can think of. 

I would give McClaren the next two seasons after this one. Then see where we are. The clamour to discuss the manager's future is symptomatic of the idiotic immediacy that seems to pervade modern thinking. It'll end with managers being sacked if they lose a single game. And then if they don't win one. Call me old-fashioned, but I believe stability is the better foundation for a club.

We've been close these last few games, but things have gone against us. We're handicapped because our star striker is unavailable, but due to a masterstroke in the deal at least we shall have him back next season. It's unlikely we can make the playoffs now and once it becomes certain we can start to experiment and plan for next year properly.

22 hours ago, Parsnip said:

First of all chill the fukc out - I'm not knee jerking and demanding McClaren be sacked immediately.

Steve has proved that with the right players he can get our team playing consistantly well all season and make us genuine challengers next season. I think the wise move would be to back him over the summer, let him build the team and go again next season - with Steve in charge. STABILITY IS KEY.

But...

There are a couple of other good managers available. I'm a bit fickle, I like change... I wanted Rowett after Pearson and i'd still be pretty excited if he was brought in, or someone else like that (young, passionate, football minded). And i'll never properly forgive or trust Steve, the filthy judas, so...

Is anyone else a bit torn on this?

mmm....do you ever find yourself thinking "green..or red?". :mellow:

Archived