Are we in crisis?.

Shaftesbury st

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The squad of players we have are bang average group of annual underachievers. The manager is also just an average middle of the table manager who has always under achieved. So why are people surprised that we are in the middle of the championship its where we are supposed to be no higher no lower.

Our one big problem is the fact that this squad is suffering from so skint different managers in recent times, all had different ideas. We need a spell under one manager with his philosophy, instil it into the players and buy players who fit the criteria, sell those who don't. 

Further to this, we are also missing our best centre forward and best defensive midfielder, whose style is essential to our play. 

14 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Yes we are... How many points off the play offs now 10 points at least. And in melt down. 

there clearly needs to be a big clear out in the summer... The only question is who should carry it out. 

Many of of these players are macs signings or chris Evans tips or both. And Mac has lost the plot. 

i mean even darren Wassall managed to get us in the play offs and he didn't have any transfer windows to put things right. 

Don't forget DW had Harry Redknapp to use as a sounding board. He was clearly floundering until HR came along. 

Typical overeaction on here from some people.

We are still suffering from Pearson's "recruitment", if it can be called that. "Recruitment" seems to suggest some thought is put into it, but that clearly didn't happen this summer.

We are missing some very important players for us - Martin, Thorne and Forsyth. Keogh went off just after halftime today.

We are a midtable team without these players. I trust McClaren to sort this out and add some depth nd quality to our squad this summer.

In the meantime, I would like to see the youth given a chance to impress and stake a claim for next season. I always like watching our youngsters play, even if they make mistakes sometimes. You never know, they may turn out to be better than some of our first teamers.

No we're not in a ******* crisis. New manager came in and sent us on an astounding run to get us out of trouble. To get us in to the playoffs this season would've meant that run continuing without any dip in form - which predictably was a little too much to ask. 

A dip in form is normal especially with injuries and an imbalanced squad but for us any dip this season was bound to derail our unlikely challenge and it looks to have knocked our morale. **** it.

Anything was a bonus this season. Let the man work ffs and look forward to next season.

No. A crisis would be relegation, bankruptcy, insolvency (are they different things?), closure of the ground, sharing with Burton, renting ground back at exorbitant rates, getting relegated again, and so on and so forth.

If not getting promoted to the top division is a crisis, then the club has spent most of its history in one.  

Keep burying your head in the sand. Yes Pearson was poor for us but to blame him for our failings is ridiculous. The sooner people accept that we are actually bang average, the better. Looking for excuses(ie. blaming Pearson) won't help anyone. I'm looking forward to next season's excuses, maybe people will say that McClaren  doesn't feed them well enough

I think that after what Pearson did to the team over summer, buying poorly and loaned out one of our best players, changed formations with players not suited to his style, the play-offs was always going to be a tough ask. McClaren now needs time and patience to build his own side, something we haven't seen as he inherited Clough's team. We need to ship out some dead wood and bring in some fresh young faces. 

Players like Bryson, Russell, Blackman, Ollson, Butterfield have shown nothing this season and for the past couple for Bryson and Russell. 

I'd also consider getting rid of both Johnson and Bent. Both on big wages. Johnson hasn't consistently performed for us in my eyes and doesn't warrant the hefty pay packet he receives every week. Bent although scoring at the minute, won't get a sniff next season when Chris Martin returns and McClaren goes back to his old faithful. Although in a rich vein of scoring form, Bent doesn't suit our style of play. We need to get his wages off the bill and invest them in a more dynamic forward, who could challenge Chris Martin. 

For the rest of the season, I'd strongly consider giving some game time to a couple youth players, who have performed in the U23's this season. It's a shame Vernam and Rawson have both been loaned out. Today was a poor result but was good to see Mason Bennett return to the squad and get a run out, we now need to blood a couple more and get them ready for next season to challenge in the first team.

We're not a club in crisis, the club is in good hands, we have the foundations of a Premier League side without doubt, however the footballing side needs a big shake up and is much to be desired. The playing staff have gone stagnant and requires freshening up. For me it will be a very interesting summer, watching what McClaren decides to do. The end of this season will be very important for the way we go ahead with the next season, with a lot of players potentially playing for their Derby careers.  

Over to you Mr McClaren 

Not a crisis no but I think its getting towards the end of the road for this set of players and the manager.

As much as I like Mac I don't think he is capable of getting us playing consistently well enough to get promotion - If he was given the summer to strengthen and given the whole of next season where do you think we will be next February/March ?

I'm sorry but I just don't think much will change we will still be mid table and having the odd flirtation with the top 6 but falling away over the course of the season. This isn't just based on Maclarens tenure this season but the last one too. Never mind taking Newcastle etc into consideration...

I don't like saying it as on the other hand I believe a team needs stability but if it was up to me I'd have someone lined up for the end of this season..

I was at the game today and I thought that we looked like we are starting to get back to playing well. Still too much sideways/backwards passing and not creating too many chances, but I think on a whole that our game play was looking like it was coming together. To he honest, we will have worse games than that and win. 

For me there's no crisis, and I wouldn't be surprised to see us turn this form around very soon.

Just now, cornishramfan said:

I think that after what Pearson did to the team over summer, buying poorly and loaned out one of our best players, changed formations with players not suited to his style, the play-offs was always going to be a tough ask. McClaren now needs time and patience to build his own side, something we haven't seen as he inherited Clough's team. We need to ship out some dead wood and bring in some fresh young faces. 

Players like Bryson, Russell, Blackman, Ollson, Butterfield have shown nothing this season and for the past couple for Bryson and Russell. 

I'd also consider getting rid of both Johnson and Bent. Both on big wages. Johnson hasn't consistently performed for us in my eyes and doesn't warrant the hefty pay packet he receives every week. Bent although scoring at the minute, won't get a sniff next season when Chris Martin returns and McClaren goes back to his old faithful. Although in a rich vein of scoring form, Bent doesn't suit our style of play. We need to get his wages off the bill and invest them in a more dynamic forward, who could challenge Chris Martin. 

For the rest of the season, I'd strongly consider giving some game time to a couple youth players, who have performed in the U23's this season. It's a shame Vernam and Rawson have both been loaned out. Today was a poor result but was good to see Mason Bennett return to the squad and get a run out, we now need to blood a couple more and get them ready for next season to challenge in the first team.

We're not a club in crisis, the club is in good hands, we have the foundations of a Premier League side without doubt, however the footballing side needs a big shake up and is much to be desired. The playing staff have gone stagnant and requires freshening up. For me it will be a very interesting summer, watching what McClaren decides to do. The end of this season will be very important for the way we go ahead with the next season, with a lot of players potentially playing for their Derby careers.  

Over to you Mr McClaren 

Do you really believe that Steve is the man to do this ? 

Whether a criss or not, I'm just fed up.

I'm fed up with Craig Ramage and his mindless diatribe. I'm fed up with the post match presentations by Steve McClaren that make you wonder if he has been watching a different game. I'm fed up with journeyman Darren Bent, and all his f'ing trainers. I'm fed up with Derby, through and through. 

11 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Yes it is a crisis no matter how much people bury their head in the sand but I don't blame McClaren for the most part because the squad is average. However, he does hold some blame for his inability to be flexible at the start of games

crisis
ˈkrʌɪsɪs/
noun

a time of intense difficulty or danger.

synonyms:catastrophe, calamity, cataclysm, emergency, disaster

Care to qualify your statement or are you just having a moan? Can't see how a mid-table season constitutes a crisis in all bar the most entitled of fans' thinking.

Just now, 86 points said:

crisis
ˈkrʌɪsɪs/
noun

a time of intense difficulty or danger.

synonyms:catastrophe, calamity, cataclysm, emergency, disaster

Care to qualify your statement or are you just having a moan? Can't see how a mid-table season constitutes a crisis in all bar the most entitled of fans' thinking.

Was more referring to our recent form against bang average teams. McClaren has a history of failing to find the answers when his team's go through a sticky patch so I'm curious to see how it changes, if indeed it does at all

Archived