Are we in crisis?.

Shaftesbury st

On Saturday, February 25, 2017 at 16:41, Shaftesbury st said:

Interested to gauge people's views on where we are as a club. 

We have some very expensive outlays that will probably never have a firm role at the club and are on big wages and unlikely to be able to recoup fees paid. 

Does that impair us next season?. Who would you keep?.

Are we back in same situation with McLaren, no Plan  B, Plan A not working. I never wanted him back despite the fact he has given us our best football in recent times.

Do any fans blame Morris for this shambles?. 

No we aren't in the crisis at all. Next?

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4 different managers in the past 2 years. A total regression in performances and results.  Hugely bloated squad with many players brought in on massively inflated transfer fees and large wages that have not offered any improvement to the playing squad and will be almost impossible to shift. Whole scouting system totally corrupt. Top goalscorer for upteem seasons farmed out on loan to Championship club. Its not looking very good is it.

Not in crisis I don't think however, gone backwards after spending a lot of money on new signings and new contracts. Signings haven't been good enough and the division is stronger and more competitive. The teams coming down have had the benefit of extra TV money in the premiership and parachute payments and the gap seems to be narrower between the top teams in the Premier league and the bottom half teams thanks to this money. Results this season for example a lot of lower sides are beating the top teams. And these are the teams that get relegated. 

Newcastle for example- players like Gayle and Richie ( premier league quality), Norwich still have a very strong side from several premier league years and we just find it difficult to compete. 

5 hours ago, Inglorius said:

4 different managers in the past 2 years. A total regression in performances and results.  Hugely bloated squad with many players brought in on massively inflated transfer fees and large wages that have not offered any improvement to the playing squad and will be almost impossible to shift. Whole scouting system totally corrupt. Top goalscorer for upteem seasons farmed out on loan to Championship club. Its not looking very good is it.

Agree with many of these points, but did you mean to say that the scouting system was corrupt?

Inept possibly, or non-existent maybe.

Freeze frame the championship table around mid December last year and look where we are ..... 

McClaren was unable to kick on from that .... 

This tells me what I deep down already was suspecting... 

Steve just hasn't got it... 

We're  stuck with him now ....

18 minutes ago, GerryDaly said:

Crisis is not the word. 

Bottle is ... 

It really does seem like another bottle this season .. 

That would be the view from outside ... 

It would also be the view of someone who does not pay very close attention to Derby as a club over the past few seasons.

Just now, GerryDaly said:

I'm guessing you don't mean Saint Stevie Mac here ? :)

Stevie Mac is no saint, I'll give you that.

However, I am more than happy with the way he has gone about things. We didn't score against Villa, but we played some nice stuff, which as far as I'm concerned is miles better than what we were like at the start of the season.

We were in the relegation zone when Pearson was effectively sacked and dif you had asked any Derby fan at that point they would have been grateful to avoid relegation this season. Now here we are in mid-table, a good run away from the play-offs.

On that basis, I am more than willing to give him a summer to sort it out.

10 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

Stevie Mac is no saint, I'll give you that.

However, I am more than happy with the way he has gone about things. We didn't score against Villa, but we played some nice stuff, which as far as I'm concerned is miles better than what we were like at the start of the season.

We were in the relegation zone when Pearson was effectively sacked and dif you had asked any Derby fan at that point they would have been grateful to avoid relegation this season. Now here we are in mid-table, a good run away from the play-offs.

On that basis, I am more than willing to give him a summer to sort it out.

You'll get that..... 

Can you, and EVERY other poster here just leave the Pearson stuff outta the equation now ? 

It's really getting boring ... and increasingly irrelevant . 

TBF, Mcclaren having a whole summer to sort this squad out actually fills me more with worry than anything else :lol:

The same Mcclaren/Evans combination who brought in Leon pissin Best to act has the Martin cover? Lee Naylor anyone? What about good ol' Shott's? Is Ssewankambo still around? Whitbread, Warnock, Albentosa.. :lol:

I really won't be too excited about the summer "sorting it out"  with these lot recruiting, shambolic if past experience is to go by.

13 minutes ago, GerryDaly said:

You'll get that..... 

Can you, and EVERY other poster here just leave the Pearson stuff outta the equation now ? 

It's really getting boring ... and increasingly irrelevant . 

It's kind of difficult to leave Pearson out given how much of an impact he has had on our season. A lot of things that have gone wrong this season can quite rightfully be laid at his door.

8 minutes ago, GerryDaly said:

Crisis is not the word. 

Bottle is ... 

It really does seem like another bottle this season .. 

That would be the view from outside ... 

I would have said stagnation with the possibility of a slow decline rather than a crisis. 

I wonder whether the idea behind the 18 month contract for mclaren is that Mel isn't sold on mclaren as a team /squad builder and has just got him in to do the clearing out.

11 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

It's kind of difficult to leave Pearson out given how much of an impact he has had on our season. A lot of things that have gone wrong this season can quite rightfully be laid at his door.

Can you just forget the bad start and Pearson and just have a look at the Championship table around , say, December 20th  16 .. ? 

My argument is SAINT STEVE should've kicked on from there ... 

My argument is any manager worth having should've kicked on from there .. 

My argument is we didn't ... 

3 minutes ago, GerryDaly said:

Can you just forget the bad start and Pearson and just have a look at the Championship table around , say, December 20th  16 .. ? 

My argument is SAINT STEVE should've kicked on from there ... 

My argument is any manager worth having should've kicked on from there .. 

My argument is we didn't ... 

We should have kicked on from 10 games undefeated?

How many other teams in the division have had unbeaten runs that long?

Was you expecting us to go the rest of the season undefeated?

Not really sure what this silly 'SAINT STEVE' rubbish is all about?

Archived