Nigel, tonight.

Warren Hobhead

2 hours ago, cannable said:

He turned;

Bywater, Carroll, Price; Connolly, Mears, McEveley, Stewart, Camara, Leacock, Nyatanga, Davis, Todd, Albrechsten, Darren Powell, Sen Hines, Beardsley, Dudley, Hanson, O'Brien, Savage, Kazmierczak, Green, Addison, Barazite, Commons, Pereploktins, Teale, Pearson, Barnes, Sterjovski, Tito Villa, Hulse, Ellington and Varney…

…into…

Grant, Legzdins, Deeney, Smith, Freeman, Keogh, Bucko, O'Brien, Gjokaj, Barker, Fozzy, Hoganson, Lowe, Hanson, Eustace, Bailey, Coutts, Hughes, Jeff, Bryson, Ward, Russell, Jacobs, Bavies, Sammon, Martin, Bennett

…for a net spend of £0 all the whilst slashing the wage bill from the third highest in the division to the sixth lowest. He got us producing good football and performances at home but his overcautious nature hurt us big time away from home.

This article sums up a lot of his work with the academy and to be honest sounds like he was implementing Mel's vision three years before he bought us! http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/21615556

It was time to go but don't underestimate the job he did. His best work was off the pitch. 

Spot on. I think of NC as a master craftsman; he was the architect, stonemason and joiner and we are still benefiting from his work. He totally turned us around and set us off on our current trajectory; he gave us Hughes, Forsyth, Bryson, Hendrick, Russell, Martin, Keogh, Shackell, Barker, Ward *. He gave us the Academy. There are lots of talent-less charlatans in the football world who steal a living from the game but NC is THE genuine article and I for one will be giving him a warm welcome. And I suspect that we will lose tonight because when NC asks for it, his Team gives him absolutely everything. Ok they are playing us at a good time but there is no way we will pick up 3 points tonight. 

If only NC was a little less cautious at times...and NC and Mac would make a great combination with NC's building skills and Mac's coaching. 0-2 to Brewers tonight, I am that certain. Wouldn't surprise me if NC stopped the coach 200 yards from the Player's entrance tonight and made them walk the last 200 yards to gee them up that bit more, a la Leeds Utd away. :mellow:

* and of course, Jake Buxton.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, TelTheRam said:

Having finally got a squad together capable of challenging, after 4 years of sorting out a real mess, he was sacked - I think I'd bear a bit of a grudge if it happened to me.

Some of the football at the start of his final season was very good - and the results not that bad when you consider who we played.

Do mean matches like Burnley at home?? The sight of the Burnley forwards easily brushing Bucko aside will not easily be forgotten. We did well in the league cup but otherwise it was business as usual. No crime to sack him  , he'd had enough time.

You are in fantasy land .....

20 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

At least the football is watchable now.

This is a criticism I've always found unfair. In his last full season we were entertaining at home; we tried to play the right way, scored on average two a game and had the fifth best home record in the league.

Had he just gone for it away from home we'd have made the play-offs that year. 

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

And if your grandma had wheels she'd be a wagon!

It really is that simple though! It was only the season after in which he went for it away and we were excellent! 

Unfortunately for him, by this point teams had worked us out at home and our home form then became dreadful. 

He did a very good work for Derby county football club, end of story, yes it would have been interesting if he had ever been given lots of money to spend. That said he wasn't so we move on - he was one of the positive managers we have had in a list of variables 

When given the funds he brought some utter ***** to the club, Sammon and Maguire the standouts. I'd have never trusted him with ten million to spend, despite Bryson and Martin being successes.

The dull football and the (lack of) ambition put me off going for three or more years. Sam Rush got some grief for giving him the boot but it's one of the best decisions  the club have made this century, without question.

What have I got to appreciate him for? 

He's manager of the opposition so no I won't be giving him a round of applause. 

He bored the enthusiasm out of me when he was here. His interviews were dull, he's dull and he's bitter. He called out individuals in public, the sign of a classless man. You could go so far as to say I dislike him. Bringing Barker on at their place was another of his displays of sticking one finger up to Rams fans. I get I'm in the minority and that's fine, he's had a few years to change my opinion of him and not succeeded. 

1 hour ago, Papahet said:

When given the funds he brought some utter ***** to the club, Sammon and Maguire the standouts. I'd have never trusted him with ten million to spend, despite Bryson and Martin being successes.

The dull football and the (lack of) ambition put me off going for three or more years. Sam Rush got some grief for giving him the boot but it's one of the best decisions  the club have made this century, without question.

What have I got to appreciate him for? 

I  never could understand the plaudits lauded to Clough for effectively taking crap players and replacing them with slightly less crap players. His man management skills were non existent reference calling Cywka out in public and his charisma bypass personality was an anathema especially in post match interviews. Apart from that he was alright.

Some people have very short memories. When Clough took over nobody wanted to touch the Derby job because the job description was , you have no money, reduce the wage bill and don't get relegated. He did that and also put the foundations down for our academy. Some players he bought in were good ( and are still here ) others not so good. If I have anything negative it would be his scout set up was not really worldwide. Also in match situations there seemed to be an attitude of let's not go out and win the game, it was more don't lose it. That said he will get applause from me because he left us in a much better place than when he arrived. 

1 hour ago, DRBee said:

Do mean matches like Burnley at home?? The sight of the Burnley forwards easily brushing Bucko aside will not easily be forgotten. We did well in the league cup but otherwise it was business as usual. No crime to sack him  , he'd had enough time.

You are in fantasy land .....

Yes I remember we were poor against Burnley (nothing unusual in that) and lost 3-0
Leicester fluked an own goal (sound familiar?) and won 1-0
Reading was a close game and we conceded when pushing for an equaliser late in the game.

Burnley and Leicester went on to be promoted and were miles better than any other teams that season, Reading finished in 7th place.

I've said before, Maclaren only got 1 more point than Clough did against the teams we played before he was sacked (an away draw against Reading). He also had a better goal difference (by 1) but scored fewer.

Enough has been said on the topic, but I can appreciate what he did, where I believe we were (steadily) heading and that he at least had some kind of idea on what players would fit the system.

I will stand and applaud him tonight.

He steadied a sliding ship and bought in some decent players in the end....unfortunately he had no idea how to get the best from them

The football apart from a small spell was turgid and awful and after 30 years of having a season ticket it drove me away.Returned once he left and have been on the rollercoaster since but at least now games are interesting.

18 minutes ago, TelTheRam said:

Y

I've said before, Maclaren only got 1 more point than Clough did against the teams we played before he was sacked (an away draw against Reading). He also had a better goal difference (by 1) but scored fewer.

Win rate and style were poor  -  Clough doesn't know what a 50% win rate looks like!

Keep digging.

2 hours ago, Ewe Ram said:

He's manager of the opposition so no I won't be giving him a round of applause. 

He bored the enthusiasm out of me when he was here. His interviews were dull, he's dull and he's bitter. He called out individuals in public, the sign of a classless man. You could go so far as to say I dislike him. Bringing Barker on at their place was another of his displays of sticking one finger up to Rams fans. I get I'm in the minority and that's fine, he's had a few years to change my opinion of him and not succeeded. 

Can't fault most of what you said except he put Barker on against Norwich on Saturday looks like it worked twice.

Archived