Didn't want McClaren back and still don't want him

Curtains

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Parsnip said:

Mel will hold his nerve, he's not the worry. I think Mel wants stability and a long term manager. He sacked Steve because Steve wanted to go to Newcastle, his hand was forced with Clement the naughty monkey, and Pearson... well Pearson had to leave.

Mel is exactly the worry.. 'Mel will hold his nerve', we have absolutely no proof of that and no history to back it up either.

1 hour ago, Angry Ram said:

Mel is exactly the worry.. 'Mel will hold his nerve', we have absolutely no proof of that and no history to back it up either.

As much as I like Mel, it's hard to argue with what Angry is saying. There's little evidence of it. It's been topsy turvy on the manager front and now we are back to square one.

personally (and I've felt this way since he got here) that mac is a good temporary fix but nothing more. He just don't have what it takes tactically and strategically - only has one fornation/method and the Leicester team selection and sacrifice of the game versus a vulnerable side was a defining point for this season - so I hope Mel has been working diligently behind closed doors to find a strong long term replacement for the 17-18 pre season. Don't mind mac staying as a #2 but he's not got the mettle to be a successful #1.

I have been reading this with dismay.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions and some will not like every manager we have. But to suddenly lambast one who has inherited a mishmash team who were struggling in the bottom three and not looking like winning and then to turn them around and get us to where we never even dreamed of under Pearson is great.

I am sure McClaren would have us in the play off positions had he arrived at the start of the season and he had the choice of who left/came in.

I am one for giving a manager a good run at things and personally thought that Clement was hard done by considering where we were at the time, but was happy to see McClaren take over from Pearson. 

At least give the guy a FULL season to get HIS OWN team in. Then Curtains, please feel free to come back if it goes wrong.

In the mean time, please draw them and goodnight.

14 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I see Derby fans are 'divided' about SM's future according to various other sites and reports. SM has a win rate as Rams Manager in his 2 stints of 53%. Chris Hughton's overall win % at Brighton is 48%....should he too fear the sack??? Replacing our Manager every season is not the answer. Give him a full pre season and transfer window and see where we are at Christmas.

He had nearly three seasons before and failed, and this season is following the same pattern. He's a poor manager who just happened to drop lucky before by inheriting a talented squad who just needed to be given some freedom to express themselves.His whole managerial record shows him to be clueless once things start to go wrong - he's a coach not a manager.

He should never have been re-appointed and each day that he remains here is another day further away from the start of the rebuilding process. 

At this point both Warburton and Rowett are available, but are unlikely to be unemployed for long. I know that Mel won't consider it, but by choice would be to fire McClaren today and bring in either one of them in order to give them the maximum time to assess the squad before the summer transfer widow opens.

2 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

He had nearly three seasons before and failed, and this season is following the same pattern. He's a poor manager who just happened to drop lucky before by inheriting a talented squad who just needed to be given some freedom to express themselves.His whole managerial record shows him to be clueless once things start to go wrong - he's a coach not a manager.

He should never have been re-appointed and each day that he remains here is another day further away from the start of the rebuilding process. 

At this point both Warburton and Rowett are available, but are unlikely to be unemployed for long. I know that Mel won't consider it, but by choice would be to fire McClaren today and bring in either one of them in order to give them the maximum time to assess the squad before the summer transfer widow opens.

McClarens cv shows a lot more success than the 2 people you are suggesting to replace him.

How do you know he's a coach not a manager, when have you encountered this?

6 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

McClarens cv shows a lot more success than the 2 people you are suggesting to replace him.

McClaren's CV shows him to be a serial failure at Derby - he's at Derby now, so that is the most significant factor. 

How do you know he isn't a coach rather than a manager?

11 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I get what you are saying but Mac is a manager on a downward curve and the other two are on an upward curve. I find it hard to find fault in Cornwalls post to be honest.

3 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

McClaren's CV shows him to be a serial failure at Derby - he's at Derby now, so that is the most significant factor. 

How do you know he isn't a coach rather than a manager?

Yes that's right.

Here with Jim Smith they led us to promotion and our highest ever Premier League finish

He took us to Wembley for only the 6th or 7th time in our history, playing some of the best football seen here in the last 20 years.

In his only full season here we missed the play offs with a record number of points.

This time around he has taken a team in the relegation zone to battling for play offs in the space of 20 odd matches.

Serial failure? Wow.

I have no idea whether his managerial skills are any good as I don't work with him on a day to get basis, I assumed you must do to form your opinion.

4 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

I get what you are saying but Mac is a manager on a downward curve and the other two are on an upward curve. I find it hard to find fault in Cornwalls post to be honest.

4th bottom to battling for the play offs a downward curve? I think your graph is upside down sir. 

Just now, Ninos said:

As much as I like Mel, it's hard to argue with what Angry is saying. There's little evidence of it. It's been topsy turvy on the manager front and now we are back to square one.

personally (and I've felt this way since he got here) that mac is a good temporary fix but nothing more. He just don't have what it takes tactically and strategically - only has one fornation/method and the Leicester team selection and sacrifice of the game versus a vulnerable side was a defining point for this season - so I hope Mel has been working diligently behind closed doors to find a strong long term replacement for the 17-18 pre season. Don't mind mac staying as a #2 but he's not got the mettle to be a successful #1.

Mac would no doubt disagree and he does have some success he can point to. If we really value his coaching ability then can't see him being bumped down to asst manager willingly.

We got a strongman last time and that didn't work out. Would Mel be wanting to risk a repeat scenario I wonder.

So do you think we might be back into head coach/ director of football territory? 

Alternatively,  assume we part with Mac,  is there a stand out you would advocate? I was a fan of Warburton but his rangers stint hasn't done him any favours. Can't immediately think of a good coach, tactician and strategist who would be affordable for us.

19 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Yes that's right.

Here with Jim Smith they led us to promotion and our highest ever Premier League finish

He took us to Wembley for only the 6th or 7th time in our history, playing some of the best football seen here in the last 20 years.

In his only full season here we missed the play offs with a record number of points.

This time around he has taken a team in the relegation zone to battling for play offs in the space of 20 odd matches.

Serial failure? Wow.

I have no idea whether his managerial skills are any good as I don't work with him on a day to get basis, I assumed you must do to form your opinion.

But we deserve better - not that we haven't tried for better and see where that got us, lol.

All this nonsense about knowing Mac is this or Mac is that is just that, nonsense. Why can't we be about to be another Twente or Boro? Like with Martin all this is firstly based on personal dislike and alternate facts built on top on that!

We have a manager with a win record of over 50% but that's not good enough because some fans reckon he doesn't have a Plan B (what were we playing?), can't defend (best record in the league), can't win (errr what?!), etc, etc. All because they have an axe to grind based around their personal beliefs, not around what is best for Derby.

Just occasionally a hilarious thread comes along, and this one is right up there towards the funniest. There is a bit of work to be done after the last incumbents brief reign to get some balance into the side, and anyone who doesn't realise that needs to stand in the corner with a dunce's hat on (or in Curtains case a dunce's pelmet would be more appropriate).

8 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

But we deserve better - not that we haven't tried for better and see where that got us, lol.

All this nonsense about knowing Mac is this or Mac is that is just that, nonsense. Why can't we be about to be another Twente or Boro? Like with Martin all this is firstly based on personal dislike and alternate facts built on top on that!

We have a manager with a win record of over 50% but that's not good enough because some fans reckon he doesn't have a Plan B (what were we playing?), can't defend (best record in the league), can't win (errr what?!), etc, etc. All because they have an axe to grind based around their personal beliefs, not around what is best for Derby.

All this is true, but don't forget that we had the audacity to lose a game of football. Unforgivable.

40 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Yes that's right.

Serial failure? Wow.

He has failed to get us promoted - everything else is just froth. He is and always will be a failure.

1 hour ago, CornwallRam said:

Hold on. Nearly three seasons? First season (not a full one) got us to play off final from a mid-table position, playing great football. Not sure how that can be regarded as failure when nobody could've expected us to get anywhere near the play offs... much the same as this season.  Second season - a full one - the previous season's success increased expectations beyond any we'd had for years and so you could argue missing out on the play offs was a failure... but only because of the previous success (and Mel's money). For years we had no expectation of promotion, only hope.

Third season.... didn't happen. I assume you aren't talking about this one, becasuse you said this one is following the same pattern as his previous three year stint.  Either way, if he is a failure then so is every other manager in the last 10 years and I'd rather be watching the football he has (mostly) served up while 'failing' than some of the other dross.  

People have been repainting Derby's history since Wembley and this constant talk of failure and bottling it doesn't hold up to much scrutiny.  The two previous seasons under SMC are actually amongst our most successful if you look at te longer term (whatever you think, we spend most of the time in the second tier and the paly offs constitute relative success... god, finishing 8th constitutes success when you think of the crappy seasons we have had both before and after promotion).  Arguably, he also laid the foundations for the Clement/wassall attempt at the play offs.

Unfortunately, all this has become the 'conventional wisdom' and it colours all discussions.  Funny though isn't it, that for all talk of Clough (and I was a big fan) nobody really talks about him failing but he never got us anywhere near going up. 

Archived