The CM situation

Thierry Ennui

We only have one and a half good CMs in my opinion.

Hughes - class above

Bryson - patchy

Johnson - can't pass or carry the ball. Good at DM, pointless at CM

Butterfield - goals saved him last season. Joke of a player this term

I genuinely think we have one of the worst midfields in the league when Hughes isn't playing and a mediocre one when he is. I can't believe we haven't signed someone since letting Hendrick go.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No problem at all when everybody's fit;

Bryson/BJ Hughes/Butters

George/De Sart

The criticism of Butters last night was over the top to say the least. Gave the ball away less than BJ and JDS. It just so happens that they scored from this - absoloute coincidence. 

I think our CM is quite strong personally. Butters is unfortunately 2nd choice to Will, and hasn't been in the same role he was at for Huddersfield. He's a tidy player to have IMO.

BJ does a job well, I've been more and more impressed with him over the course of the season. 

Anyone who thinks De Sart is a poor player needs to learn the game. Clear to see the lad is hugely talented. Good passing range, very neat & tidy and can take the ball under pressure in tight areas. As the game progressed last night he got better and better. He is the one midfield player we have (except Thorne) who can pass between the lines and did so time and time again last night.

He does have his limitations, he lacks power right now and with him being not the quickest anyway can get over ran when sitting on his own in midfield due to the lack of pace. He looked better the last 2 games when he has played alongside someone in a 4-2-3-1 as his lack of pace is not as exposed. Plus it allows him to venture slightly further forward at times to produce quality further up the field. I think if we are to be successful this year it has to be with a controlling midfield player like him pulling the strings (ala Thorne). Johnson has done a good job but simply is nowhere near good enough on the ball in that role. I thought he did well 1st half last night slightly further forward as he puts himself about and pressed on well.

Agree the criticism for Butters last night is harsh. I have been critical this year but got better as the game went on. Similar to De Sart, looked better when they played alongside each other in the 4-2-3-1 shape.

De Sart to play moving forward to me as he is the type of player McClaren needs for his game plan to be successful. We should have the majority of the ball with 3 home games in a row so give him a chance to settle in and play regularly and I think we will see him kick on.

Need a full season from Thorne and Hughes and the rest will just fall into place. Thorne, Hughes + 1 from Bryson Johnson Butterfield is fine.

I'm more worried about the CF situation...Bent's days are numbered, Blackman is woeful, spunked £8m on Vydra who looks poor and who knows what Chris Martin will return. I wouldn't rule out him doing a cruciate on his last game for Fulham either :ermm:

Ince is nailed on we just need another quality winger/wide forward to finish the 3 up top.

1 hour ago, Penelope Pendrex said:

We only have one and a half good CMs in my opinion.

Hughes - class above

Bryson - patchy

Johnson - can't pass or carry the ball. Good at DM, pointless at CM

Butterfield - goals saved him last season. Joke of a player this term

I genuinely think we have one of the worst midfields in the league when Hughes isn't playing and a mediocre one when he is. I can't believe we haven't signed someone since letting Hendrick go.

Completely agree.

I thought it was poor business not getting a midfield playmaker in January.

1 hour ago, cannable said:

No problem at all when everybody's fit;

Bryson/BJ Hughes/Butters

George/De Sart

The criticism of Butters last night was over the top to say the least. Gave the ball away less than BJ and JDS. It just so happens that they scored from this - absoloute coincidence. 

Butterfield does nothing without the ball. He makes no runs, he doesn't tackle, he's anonymous.

with the ball he does one of three things: under no pressure he will run sideways with the ball and pass the ball to the player he's running towards; he will lose the ball easily, or he will pass the ball back even after we've had penetration. As I recall he gifted them the ball which led to the counter where they scored. Did the same thing first half but they were unfortunate not to score 

All he offers is goals. And we know how he's doing on that front.

5 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Butterfield does nothing without the ball. He makes no runs, he doesn't tackle, he's anonymous.

with the ball he does one of three things: under no pressure he will run sideways with the ball and pass the ball to the player he's running towards; he will lose the ball easily, or he will pass the ball back even after we've had penetration. As I recall he gifted them the ball which led to the counter where they scored. Did the same thing first half but they were unfortunate not to score 

All he offers is goals. And we know how he's doing on that front.

Ooooooo Ninos... Stop saying things I agree with... I don't like agreeing with you... :D 

I wonder if we had gone straight back for McClaren in the summer if Hendrick would have stayed?

Him, Hughes, Bryson and a defensive midfielder being rotated depending on the game. Cracking midfield that is. 

Also important to note that without our best striker holding up the ball and bringing the midfield into play we look a lot worse.

No Martin means Bryson goes from a top player in this league to an average one. 

Have to make do with what we have at the moment.

Bryson, Hughes and De Sart looks very lightweight. 

Hughes, Butterfield and De Sart looks lightweight and has a lack of runners.

Johnson, Bryson and Butterfield lacks ability to keep the ball.

Johnson, Bryson and Hughes can do a job, but looks suspect against top teams as Johnson struggles. 

If Thorne was fit, we wouldn't be having this conversation as it picks itself: Thorne, Bryson and Hughes.

At the moment I'm more than happy to let De Sart stake his claim in DM and play Bryson and Hughes in front of him.

Why does everyone keep mentioning De Sart? I'm talking about CMs, of which we play two. I think De Sart looks pretty good but he's a DM.

For those two positions we have Hughes, who is excellent, Bryson, who is very patchy in recent times, Butterfield, who has been utterly awful all season, and Johnson, who is poor in that position and can't pass. We're severely lacking.

1 hour ago, Ramdale said:

Anyone who thinks De Sart is a poor player needs to learn the game. Clear to see the lad is hugely talented. Good passing range, very neat & tidy and can take the ball under pressure in tight areas. As the game progressed last night he got better and better. He is the one midfield player we have (except Thorne) who can pass between the lines and did so time and time again last night.

He does have his limitations, he lacks power right now and with him being not the quickest anyway can get over ran when sitting on his own in midfield due to the lack of pace. He looked better the last 2 games when he has played alongside someone in a 4-2-3-1 as his lack of pace is not as exposed. Plus it allows him to venture slightly further forward at times to produce quality further up the field. I think if we are to be successful this year it has to be with a controlling midfield player like him pulling the strings (ala Thorne). Johnson has done a good job but simply is nowhere near good enough on the ball in that role. I thought he did well 1st half last night slightly further forward as he puts himself about and pressed on well.

Agree the criticism for Butters last night is harsh. I have been critical this year but got better as the game went on. Similar to De Sart, looked better when they played alongside each other in the 4-2-3-1 shape.

De Sart to play moving forward to me as he is the type of player McClaren needs for his game plan to be successful. We should have the majority of the ball with 3 home games in a row so give him a chance to settle in and play regularly and I think we will see him kick on.

Agreed on de sart,he put some cracking long balls on the floor through,very reminiscent of GT and I can see why Mac sees potential in him.

And in respect of bryson,he's not been patchy at all...he has returned from injury and has got better and better with each game,so has been returning to form.

Out of all of our midfielder,he is the only one with the capacity to score in a regular basis now Hendrick has gone (and no way would Mac have let him go I.m.o)

Archived