The CM situation

Thierry Ennui

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Controversially, I actually rate Johnson more as a midfield runner. That's where he played his best football for us and for Norwich. You've got Hughes' and De Saart (although, I'm not allowed to mention him, appearently) or Thorne behind him to keep the ball. But Johnson can get forward and cause problems - that's where he's best. Plus, he does give us extra physicality.

Bryson is good in that role too. Agree fully with what's already been said - without Martin our midfield won't look as good as they have fewer options to pass forward and/or play off.

We need the link from midfield to the forwards to work well

hughes - can be excellent but far from always

bryson - showing a return to his goal scoring form can he stay fit?

johnson - enigma - were are getting a return out of him now but he simply has to play just for the set pieces both ways

butterfield - aleays seems fit but will always be the fall guy due to his lack of speed,height and his inclination to go safe usually he can stick some goals in but without that there is little.

de sart - good footballer and seems to be getting better my only caveat is that he is not ours so I am never comfortable with that

thorne - sadly far to injured, can we ever rely on him not really so far and if he did stay fit the prem clubs would be in for him?

2 hours ago, Ninos said:

Butterfield does nothing without the ball. He makes no runs, he doesn't tackle, he's anonymous.

with the ball he does one of three things: under no pressure he will run sideways with the ball and pass the ball to the player he's running towards; he will lose the ball easily, or he will pass the ball back even after we've had penetration. As I recall he gifted them the ball which led to the counter where they scored. Did the same thing first half but they were unfortunate not to score 

All he offers is goals. And we know how he's doing on that front.

He also put his head in and won the free kick we scored from. You know, to be fair? And just as many on here rate the lad as much as others (like your good self) clearly don't. Very marmite player is Butters. I can understand that. 

I really like him. But even I will agree that he's not producing where it counts this season in terms of goals and assists. 

That's the difference though, I'll gladly accept the other argument and nod to the weaknesses. But those who don't rate the lad (and many others) go way OTT with their criticism. Butters is a good midfielder at this level. So are the likes of Bryson, Hughes and Johnson. It's up front where we struggle, it's as plain as day.

2 hours ago, Penelope Pendrex said:

Why does everyone keep mentioning De Sart? I'm talking about CMs, of which we play two. I think De Sart looks pretty good but he's a DM.

For those two positions we have Hughes, who is excellent, Bryson, who is very patchy in recent times, Butterfield, who has been utterly awful all season, and Johnson, who is poor in that position and can't pass. We're severely lacking.

Maybe because De Sart played well as a CM after Johnson went out?

Some DM's can play bit higher too.

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, BuckoBeast said:

For the last 3 games he's started on the bench, don't think he came on either in the last two. Rotting on the bench. Can't believe we never got him back 

:(

Still at least he's not scoring any more goals for them! Still their leading scorer?

They're playing nasty. I hope they have paid us up with the loan fee. Keeping him to spite us and now not even playing him, even off the bench. We are no longer rivals for a play-off spot realistically..and fair to say that they don't look like they will make it either.

On 09/02/2017 at 14:19, Alex W said:

De Sart is a useful player, needs time to learn the DM spot, an excellent ball player and a willing one but tackling wise he needs work.

Based on what? serious what have we seen to say he's a useful player?  Excellent ball player, I'll have a pint of what your on, have you seen him the past few games. He's Lightweight, can't tackle and gives the ball away for fun, he's a loan signing who surely to good we are not going to buy, so why carry on playing this season. 

1 hour ago, BuckoBeast said:

For the last 3 games he's started on the bench, don't think he came on either in the last two. Rotting on the bench. Can't believe we never got him back 

He's found his best position at least.

People are in for a big shock when he comes back, mac builds his whole team around him and he does next to nothing. This whole return to the past idea as our best way forward is so sad it's pathetic. 

13 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Based on what? serious what have we seen to say he's a useful player?  Excellent ball player, I'll have a pint of what your on, have you seen him the past few games. He's Lightweight, can't tackle and gives the ball away for fun, he's a loan signing who surely to good we are not going to buy, so why carry on playing this season. 

Your right, he's crap, that's why he was MOTM last night, played the best balls all over the park, was one of only 2 positive players playing the ball forward and made loads of well timed tackles.

like some others he's not match sharp as he's in then out of the side. Needs to be in for me like some others and given a run in a settled side.

2 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:Your right, he's crap, that's why he was MOTM last night, played the best balls all over the park, was one of only 2 positive players playing the ball forward and made loads of well timed tackles.

.like some others he's not match sharp as he's in then out of the side. Needs to be in for me like some others and given a run in a settled side.

How on earth did he get MOTM last night! Unbelievable. And are balls to row F in the west stand are now good balls? He's not match sharp as he couldn't get a game for Boro and can't hold down a place for us, says it all. The question I'll ask is, why play him again this season, do you really think he's a player who we can build around for next season? And yes from what I've seen I think he's crap

14 minutes ago, Ninos said:

He's found his best position at least.

People are in for a big shock when he comes back, mac builds his whole team around him and he does next to nothing. This whole return to the past idea as our best way forward is so sad it's pathetic. 

I don't know about building the team around him but I look forward to him returning. I think we miss him massively. Fantastic knowing he'll be back next season, and Thorne and Forsyth too. 

It's not mere nostalgia, not for me. I genuinely just rate them as footballers and Mac as manager. 

Archived