Chris Martin signs new contract until 2020

Cam the Ram

54 minutes ago, ThePrisoner said:

I'm quite suprised he's allowed to return to play for us in the play-offs if we make it. Good piece of business in the original contract to help us in those final moments? Not that I think he should start for us, the team who got us there should absolutely take priority and hopefully will.

I don't think it's in the contract, as the contract also has an agreed fee.

Just doesn't make any sense for Fulham to hold onto him if their season is over and ours isn't. If their season doesn't end after the 46th game they'll keep hold of him until after the play-offs.

I think a lot of Fulham fans are massively overreacting to this, I don't think Martin is going to be going out in a Fulham shirt with a view to do Derby a favour. Obviously, it gets a little more concerning from their point of view if Derby and Fulham are close rivals at the tail end of the season as he's committed his future to us, but in that situation I'd hope Martin chose the professional path. 

I'd respect him greatly if he scored the goal that got Fulham in the play-offs at the expense of us, for example. Although I imagine lots of people on here would choose to be angry and upset with him.

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

I don't think it's in the contract, as the contract also has an agreed fee.

Just doesn't make any sense for Fulham to hold onto him if their season is over and ours isn't. If their season doesn't end after the 46th game they'll keep hold of him until after the play-offs.

I think a lot of Fulham fans are massively overreacting to this, I don't think Martin is going to be going out in a Fulham shirt with a view to do Derby a favour. Obviously, it gets a little more concerning from their point of view if Derby and Fulham are close rivals at the tail end of the season as he's committed his future to us, but in that situation I'd hope Martin chose the professional path. 

I'd respect him greatly if he scored the goal that got Fulham in the play-offs at the expense of us, for example. Although I imagine lots of people on here would choose to be angry and upset with him.

Yes, it's the Fulham fans that are massively overreacting to this (he says, posting on the 75th page). :)

2 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

Yes, it's the Fulham fans that are massively overreacting to this (he says, posting on the 75th page). :)

I thought Derby fans overreaction was obvious, but it's also a situation worthy of discussion.

I wasn't citing Fulham's discussion of the topic, I was more citing Fulham booing a player in their shirt whenever he touched the ball.

Until he scored, obviously. 

13 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

I thought Derby fans overreaction was obvious, but it's also a situation worthy of discussion.

I wasn't citing Fulham's discussion of the topic, I was more citing Fulham booing a player in their shirt whenever he touched the ball.

A lot of derby fans did that most games under Pearson!

30 minutes ago, EastHertsRam said:

Who's doing that ? I'm not, if we can agree with Fulham to get him back tomorrow, happy days, if Fulham say nothing doing, we wait until the season's end without complaint.

Then if he does he's not a man of his word and he can do one

Just now, GboroRam said:

Then if he does he's not a man of his word and he can do one

Are you curtains in disguise ? That comment, as clearly stated, was in respect of Martin's statement bigging up both the club and the city. It was also made in response to a hypothetical question posted by curtains asking what if Martin changed his mind and declares he would like to sign for Fulham after all on a permanent basis after signing his contract with us at the weekend. 

You seem to be trying to find something that isn't there, give it up before the rest of the forum die of boredom.

8 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Having missed most of this thread... I'll ask something which has probably already been asked...

Anyone ITK know about the payments rumoured to be owed at the end of this window? Supposedly the next payment of loan fee is due on Wednesday...

I heard £1.5m due at the end of this window.

27 minutes ago, EastHertsRam said:

Are you curtains in disguise ? That comment, as clearly stated, was in respect of Martin's statement bigging up both the club and the city. It was also made in response to a hypothetical question posted by curtains asking what if Martin changed his mind and declares he would like to sign for Fulham after all on a permanent basis after signing his contract with us at the weekend. 

You seem to be trying to find something that isn't there, give it up before the rest of the forum die of boredom.

sport-preview-chris-martin.jpg?strip=allYou really don't get it do you he could still sign for Fulham as they have the option on him and they may make him an offer he can't refuse come August.

ie Better than Derbys offer. 

10 hours ago, curtains said:

I'm not pressing the panic button as I'm more indifferent now after today about the situation with Martin .

It is true I was delighted yesterday when he signed an extended contract at Derby but I never for the life of me thought he would turn out for Fulham again and look like he was enjoying it. 

Call me naive or what  .

Maybe he is just happy there is light at the end of the tunnel and having pledged his future to Derby, he now knows where he is going. I think I would be happy

2 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

So further to that then I guess... Any rumours of Fulham being in for a striker and needing the money?

It wouldn't surprise me if they had said to Chris play until we get someone in and then you can return to Derby, I can see the signing someone before the close of the window and sending him back.

On the other hand I can also see them keeping him until the summer, prices in Jan are inflated so they may think £1.5m for a striker who is already there and scoring isn't too bad a deal.

It will be an interesting 48hours either way. I am hoping they sign someone, they have been linked with £9m for Rhodes.

2 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

Maybe. Either way he has done us a favour. Surely his price has gone up due to signing a new deal. 

Maybe they will have to pay what they stipulated in the loan contract / permanent deal option. 

Then it's all about wages and contract terms as it always is in transfers .

End if the day it's what Chris Martin decides now as regards the best deal for him .

Either Derby or Fulham in August. 

7 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Fulham's over reaction (like ours) is because how SJ and their local press angled the story from day 1, basically saying things like 'Martin has refused to play' something that then get debunked by SJ himself. But sadly the damage was already done. There are other examples where the West London Sport wrote headlines like 'BOARD BACK JOKANOVIC' when what actually happened was SJ just saying that but with no official quote from Fulham's board.

The sad thing is, is that some of this has been taken as gospel (by Fulham AND for some reason, Derby fans) rather than giving it any analytical review. It's even given way for articles in the national about 'striking footballers' and made the mess a lot worse. Essentially it's exactly what they want too, even his comments about 'Derby's best striker' are there to cause unrest and people fall for it hook, line and sinker.

Martin's commutes his long term future, now let's just see what happens

Archived