Chris Martin signs new contract until 2020

Cam the Ram

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, jono said:

One thing not quite clear to me. If Fulham have an option to buy and chose to excercise it then what happens. ? 

From what I have read it still depends on Martin agreeing to it..He can't be forced to sign it if he doesn't want to.

Conversely if he did decide to then Fulham could then exercise it.

At the moment though he has made his intentions to returning to derby clear.....Hopefully it will remain that way until he has the option to actually return.

Just now, jono said:

One thing not quite clear to me. If Fulham have an option to buy and chose to excercise it then what happens. ? 

Simple, Fulham take up the option, they go into a negotiation period with Chris, who has the right to (and will) disagree on personal terms. Fulham's hopes are dead and then Chrissy comes home.

2 minutes ago, jono said:

Then it's still down to Chris Martin whether he wants to go. Fulham can put an offer in of the agreed price and we'd have to accept it. CM would have no obligations to sign anything with Fulham though, we are not in the North Korean football league.

1 minute ago, jono said:

They try and convince Martin to join them via the use of lots of cash and promises. If it surpasses the new contract he's just signed with us he may accept and join them, but it's a very big if. They'll need to make it such a good offer that it convinces both him and his family to move from their home in Derby where they're clearly settled.

Just to clarify the Fulham bosses view on Martin as it stands....

The Fulham boss said: “My job is to do the best for Fulham and today I believed the best option in this position was to use Chris Martin.

“His situation is fantastic. He signed a new contract, which is great news for him and his family. I don’t know, it’s probably his highest contract.

“This situation doesn’t change anything, it helps us. He will stay and he showed commitment and loyalty to this club.

“He’s going to be in better condition and available to help Derby at the beginning of August.

“If they want to use him, I have to send him back at the end of the season.

“Or if Derby finish in the top six and we don’t finish in the top six, he is going to be ready in the second week of May.”

5 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

The Fulham boss said: “My job is to do the best for Fulham and today I believed the best option in this position was to use Chris Martin.

“His situation is fantastic. He signed a new contract, which is great news for him and his family. I don’t know, it’s probably his highest contract.

“This situation doesn’t change anything, it helps us. He will stay and he showed commitment and loyalty to this club.

“He’s going to be in better condition and available to help Derby at the beginning of August.

“Or if Derby finish in the top six and we don’t finish in the top six, he is going to be ready in the second week of May.”

What do people make of this?

12 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

You missed this vital bit out of what he said 

"Jokanovic confirmed that, while Fulham retain an option to sign Martin on a permanent deal in the summer, he could also feature for Derby if they reach the play-offs and the Whites miss out"

http://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/martin-play-derby-county-play-offs-boss

6 minutes ago, curtains said:

You missed this vital bit out of what he said 

"Jokanovic confirmed that, while Fulham retain an option to sign Martin on a permanent deal in the summer, he could also feature for Derby if they reach the play-offs and the Whites miss out"

http://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/martin-play-derby-county-play-offs-boss

Sorry curtains,didn't mean to miss it out,I was cutting and pasting from my phone and I've got sausage fingers..

1 minute ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Yep,looks like he has conceded that Martin will be returning to derby but is confident they have him this season....He also believes they have him for the play offs if they reach them (but what if we both do I wonder?)

Then it gets interesting.

15 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Sorry curtains,didn't mean to miss it out,I was cutting and pasting from my phone and I've got sausage fingers..

It's not a problem mate. 

I am disappointed  he will not return until next season now .

He will in all probability come back to Derby next season unless Fulham offer him a better deal than Derby because they appear to have that option according to the Fulham boss. 

If Fulham get promoted I see it as a no brainer for Martin to stay at Fulham and play in the Prem but conversely it could work the other way.  

It is up in the air still as far as I am concerned and a lot of things may happen in the following months ahead. 

Martin could get a serious injury which of course I hope doesn't happen but it's not inconceivable.

I think Fulham are getting the better deal at this moment in time which is a complete turnaround from how I viewed it yesterday after the contract was signed at Derby and they announced it  

The ball is also in Chris Martins court and I suppose that's modern day football  .

Not sure how I feel about the whole thing now to be honest  

I think this is all quite simple.

All the options available are dependent on all 3 parties agreeing.

Therefore with regards to the loan, Fulham want him to stay, while CM and Derby want him back. He stays as not all agree.

Regarding the permanent move to Fulham. He is contracted to Derby. Even if Fulham want him permanently, it appears that neither Derby or CM want that. So he returns to Derby at the end of his loan.

I'm quite simple and like simple.

Archived