Clough and Burton

Ramz64

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, eddie said:

Sacking Nigel Clough was the second-biggest mistake Derby have made in the last decade.

The first time we sacked Steve McClaren was the biggest.

I know where you're coming from Eddie but I think sacking Mac the second time was an error too.

Sith Happens
10 hours ago, eddie said:

Sacking Nigel Clough was the second-biggest mistake Derby have made in the last decade.

The first time we sacked Steve McClaren was the biggest.

8 hours ago, 1967Ram said:

I know where you're coming from Eddie but I think sacking Mac the second time was an error too.

Agree with both of you.

Sith Happens
9 hours ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

Surprised how many say this. I was genuinely buzzing after what he'd done at Leicester.

I thought he would do a good job too.

I just didnt understand how stubborn he was. I get he wanted to play a certain way but you can only do that when you have the players to do it, it was obvious he was going to persist with square pegs.

On 12/04/2018 at 23:34, Papahet said:

How has he not been given the boot? I know Robinson is loyal towards his man, but Nige had wrote the season off in September; absolutely zero ambition to stay in the division or even get back up next year "we wont play Derby ever again after Saturday".

5 at the back ?

Just my opinion and don't take it as a personal insult but I see you as the sort of fan that epitomises everything wrong with supporters of the modern day.

We are talking about a manager who has been at Burton for a period of 14 years and, unless I'm mistaken, he's improved their league standing in 12 of those seasons,  leading to them getting a new stadium in the process. Now at the first sign of a downturn you would sack him.

You can talk about a lack of ambition but I would really question who you are aiming that attack at, a manager who was given £500k to make the club record signing...really?

What Clough has done for the club is nothing short of miraculous. The way some of their fans are now behaving is nothing short of scandalous.

They may want to talk about style of football but then they would do well to think about what they were watching 10 or 20 years ago, and I know because I would sometimes go and watch when Derby did not have a match.

They've gone from having Darren Stride as their best player to watching ex internationals in their team. Personally I hope Clough leaves and they slide back down the leagues. Sometimes fans should be careful what they wish for.

Sith Happens
3 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

They've gone from having Darren Stride as their best player to watching ex internationals in their team. Personally I hope Clough leaves and they slide back down the leagues. Sometimes fans should be careful what they wish for.

Agree with most of what you say, apart from this. I hope he stays and the 'glory hunter' fans that came out the woodwork for championship football go back to watching football on sky or whatever and the remainder get behind them next year.

Many will be looking for promotion back to the Championship. I reckon even a top 10 finish next season in League 1 would be an achievement.

I dont want them to slide down the leagues, Ben Robinson seems a sensible sort of guy and dont think he deserves that. His interview in the BurtonMail makes refreshing reading.

https://www.burtonmail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/burton-albion-chairman-delivers-message-1450004

Rather than moaning about relegation hes applauding the fact they have even been there in the first place.

7 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Just my opinion and don't take it as a personal insult but I see you as the sort of fan that epitomises everything wrong with supporters of the modern day.

We are talking about a manager who has been at Burton for a period of 14 years and, unless I'm mistaken, he's improved their league standing in 12 of those seasons,  leading to them getting a new stadium in the process. Now at the first sign of a downturn you would sack him.

You can talk about a lack of ambition but I would really question who you are aiming that attack at, a manager who was given £500k to make the club record signing...really?

What Clough has done for the club is nothing short of miraculous. The way some of their fans are now behaving is nothing short of scandalous.

They may want to talk about style of football but then they would do well to think about what they were watching 10 or 20 years ago, and I know because I would sometimes go and watch when Derby did not have a match.

Are there parallels here with the Arsene Wenger debate? Is it possible that Clough has taken them as far as he can go, but a new manager could potentially take them further? Sort of like the arguments for when we replaced him.

9 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Agree with most of what you say, apart from this. I hope he stays and the 'glory hunter' fans that came out the woodwork for championship football go back to watching football on sky or whatever and the remainder get behind them next year.

Many will be looking for promotion back to the Championship. I reckon even a top 10 finish next season in League 1 would be an achievement.

I dont want them to slide down the leagues, Ben Robinson seems a sensible sort of guy and dont think he deserves that. His interview in the BurtonMail makes refreshing reading.

https://www.burtonmail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/burton-albion-chairman-delivers-message-1450004

Rather than moaning about relegation hes applauding the fact they have even been there in the first place.

He must be such a refreshing chairman to work for. Level headed, sensible with money, reasonable expectations and above all supportive of his Managers!

The bloke is actually quite unique in football terms.

32 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Are there parallels here with the Arsene Wenger debate? Is it possible that Clough has taken them as far as he can go, but a new manager could potentially take them further? Sort of like the arguments for when we replaced him.

Not in my opinion, I think to even have his squad in with a shout of staying in this division this season is quite remarkable 

32 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

He must be such a refreshing chairman to work for. Level headed, sensible with money, reasonable expectations and above all supportive of his Managers!

The bloke is actually quite unique in football terms.

I think he should have sought external investment, maybe he did I don't know. 

I certainly believe that he is not too disappointed about getting relegated given the expenditure that would have been required for ground improvements.

Sith Happens
2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I think he should have sought external investment, maybe he did I don't know. 

I certainly believe that he is not too disappointed about getting relegated given the expenditure that would have been required for ground improvements.

He may have done like you say. Not sure Burton would be that attractive for investors. After all they are a small club and even getting to the 2nd tier could only attract 4 or 5 thousand fans.

1 hour ago, TigerTedd said:

Possibly in so much as in any job every individual eventually needs a fresh set of circumstances and momentum to continue to bring something to the table. 

From my perspective I just wish football fans in general would just have more grace. If Nigel needs to go both for his sake and the sake of the club wouldn't it be nice if he were given a standing ovation at the end of the season in recognition of his superb work. Oh well............ The armchair experts encouraged by the pundits and media have a lot to answer for! 

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

I don't buy this about lack of funds, he's had money and he's blew it on crocks like Shaun Barker. You know the man who hadn't kicked a ball since 11/12. You think he'd of been on peanuts? You think Darren Bent will be there on a mere grand a week?

When he was here and he was given some dough, what did he buy? Chris Maguire, Conor Sammon, Chris Porter, Dean Moxey, David Martin.. Hardly inspirational signings are they? I wouldn't trust him in a million years with a decent budget based on the crap he's brought. Sure he found the odd gem like a Bryson, but the vast majority of the time he failed to find anyone who improved us when given the cash. Infact i'd argue he works better without having money to spend; Buxton and Martin spring to mind.

His idea's are from the 90's, football has moved on. His criticism of Tomaz Cywka was amateur and shown him to be a bad man manager of young players, the lack of ambition in the mans brain is frightening. Football is about winning, not settling for bottom place and beyond.

23 hours ago, Papahet said:

What he did then in the lower leagues is irrelevant to the work he's doing now. Cmon ffs, Football is about trying to win games, entertainment, HOPE and making a effort

Crap, arrogant (dinosaur) manager. 

You must love Rowett then

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Not in my opinion, I think to even have his squad in with a shout of staying in this division this season is quite remarkable 

I agree. Just playing devils advocate. 

I do think it’s similar to Wenger though. He’s achieved a lot for the club in a long period of time. So there’s a downward blip now, doesn’t mean the fans should turn on him completely. Maybe it’s the right time for both to move on, but as @scarlettpimpernell said, fans should be more gracious about it, and have a bit of class. 

And in both cases, Arsenal nor Burton will both be a lot worse off in the short term after a change. Manchester United showed you cant change an indentured regime overnight without a serious readjustment period. 

Wow, I talked about Arsenal, Man United and Burton in the same sentence. 

5 hours ago, Papahet said:

I don't buy this about lack of funds, he's had money and he's blew it on crocks like Shaun Barker. You know the man who hadn't kicked a ball since 11/12. You think he'd of been on peanuts? You think Darren Bent will be there on a mere grand a week?

When he was here and he was given some dough, what did he buy? Chris Maguire, Conor Sammon, Chris Porter, Dean Moxey, David Martin.. Hardly inspirational signings are they? I wouldn't trust him in a million years with a decent budget based on the crap he's brought. Sure he found the odd gem like a Bryson, but the vast majority of the time he failed to find anyone who improved us when given the cash. Infact i'd argue he works better without having money to spend; Buxton and Martin spring to mind.

His idea's are from the 90's, football has moved on. His criticism of Tomaz Cywka was amateur and shown him to be a bad man manager of young players, the lack of ambition in the mans brain is frightening. Football is about winning, not settling for bottom place and beyond.

If you don't think he's had a lack of funds at Burton there is not much point continuing the discussion. 

In one post you say about his old players following him around clubs and in the next say about bad man management, and bit contradictory. 

Archived