Clough and Burton

Ramz64

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, KentRam said:

In 2009 - it was to us. We were breaking the bank to sign him at the same time as making cuts to the wage bill year on year.

That making cuts to the wage bill year on year point, not sure what you mean as we only started to cut wages half way through that season after Jewells bottle job. Prior to that the club thought nothing of carrying a massive wage bill and signing the likes of Dickinson, Varney, Claude Davies, Kenny Miller, Tito VIlla......in fact if I look through the list of players that cost in excess of a million pre Clough, I can't believe Sammon even gets brought up in the same breath. Never mind Chris Porter.

Fast forward to this latest era and the embarrassing waste of money on over paid and over expensive transfers and ANY Clough signing stacks up to that, even the worst. (maybe apart from that keeper we took on loan from Liverpool ;-)

A 400k signing classed as a failure brought in for decent whack.  We might as well add Maguire and Jacobs to that list.

Porter actually looked a decent signing, the poor guy just could stay fit. It was injury after injury with that guy and before we knew it his contract was up. Shame, because he had the makings of a decent striker (even if he wasn't the quickest).

1 hour ago, KentRam said:

In 2009 - it was to us. We were breaking the bank to sign him at the same time as making cuts to the wage bill year on year.

If I recall correctly, he was scoring 1 in 2 for us when he played? The problem was his hip.

I wouldn't call Porter a failure due to his playing time. It was just bad luck.

16 hours ago, ronnieronalde said:

That making cuts to the wage bill year on year point, not sure what you mean as we only started to cut wages half way through that season after Jewells bottle job. Prior to that the club thought nothing of carrying a massive wage bill and signing the likes of Dickinson, Varney, Claude Davies, Kenny Miller, Tito VIlla......in fact if I look through the list of players that cost in excess of a million pre Clough, I can't believe Sammon even gets brought up in the same breath. Never mind Chris Porter.

Fast forward to this latest era and the embarrassing waste of money on over paid and over expensive transfers and ANY Clough signing stacks up to that, even the worst. (maybe apart from that keeper we took on loan from Liverpool ;-)

A 400k signing classed as a failure brought in for decent whack.  We might as well add Maguire and Jacobs to that list.

Throughout Clough's tenure we cut the wage bill year on year. That isn't an opinion - it's indisputable. And as the vast majority of the players that you mention were signed in advance of Clough they are a moot point. The reason that Sammon and Porter get brought up in the same breath is that comparative to what we were spending at that very time - not 3/4 years previous - the fees were regarded as a significant outlay. Even at the time we were discussing how we were spending a not inconsiderate amount of money to land these players.

Clough did make decent signings - at what point do I dispute that? But he did also have the odd stinker. But that wasn't my point. Sammon and Porter and others were considered 'big money signings' AT THE TIME. Not in comparison to those that preceded or succeeded them but because they were bought for a significant chunk of the available budget.

Anyway, one point we can agree on - we've certainly wasted a lot more money on a great many other players besides and will, I'm sure, do so again at some point in the future.

15 hours ago, GeneralRam said:

If I recall correctly, he was scoring 1 in 2 for us when he played? The problem was his hip.

I wouldn't call Porter a failure due to his playing time. It was just bad luck.

44 games - 9 goals. Not even 1 in 4.

I appreciate that his injuries contributed to his bad luck. But, them aside, he was hardly prolific. Not given the fanfare that greeted his arrival.

2 minutes ago, KentRam said:

44 games - 9 goals. Not even 1 in 4.

I appreciate that his injuries contributed to his bad luck. But, them aside, he was hardly prolific. Not given the fanfare that greeted his arrival.

20 league starts. 24 of those 44 were sub appearances. So a little better than the first glance 1 in 4.

2 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

20 league starts. 24 of those 44 were sub appearances. So a little better than the first glance 1 in 4.

Granted. But he's hardly pulled up many trees since. I suppose I'm just bitter because I remember him missing a virtual open goal at home v Forest. And I believe we went on to lose.

• 1 month later...

Boyce is out for the season. 

If we think we're in a pickle, they're going in without replacing their keeper or right back and have just lost their record signing.

If Irvine does one in the next day or 2 they'll be in for a right tough start.

13 minutes ago, Rample said:

If we think we're in a pickle, they're going in without replacing their keeper or right back and have just lost their record signing.

Was gonna give this a :( but thought folk might think i'm taking the piss,  so i'll respond with a post. I really hope this doesn't derail their hopes , and wish them every success in the forth coming season. All the very best Brewers, keep the dream alive :)

Sith Happens

Thats bad news for Burton, we knew how we felt when George got injured in his first friendly.

I do hope Burton can stay up this season but my gut feeling tells me they will struggle.

14 hours ago, Rample said:

keeper will be sorted before 31st August (trying to get it done soon), might have to start with Bywater until they get that deal over the line. Bywater has looked brilliant pre-season and probably deserves a run.

Right back will be sorted either just before or just after the Cardiff game. It's likely someone we all know and love.

They're working on a striker on loan. It's gutting to lose Boyce, really hard to take but they'd have been in for a tough start whether he was in the side or not and it may force NC into a re-shuffle which looked to work well last night. A couple of the midfielders will have to step up going forward. Hope Akpan, Matty Lund, Matty Palmer are all nice and creative and there's even a young lad coming through who looks very good indeed. Watch out for young Joe Sbarra getting a cameo or two, he's five foot nowt but as tricky as can be and great with the ball at his feet. Burtons even skinnier, even smaller answer to Will Hughes when he first broke through.

52 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Thats bad news for Burton, we knew how we felt when George got injured in his first friendly.

I do hope Burton can stay up this season but my gut feeling tells me they will struggle.

I've not seen what the other sides have done in terms of strengthening, or how they've looked pre-season but... the Brewers will be safer this season than last. Struggle is probably not the right word Paul, it will be tough but I'm putting my money on finishing higher up the league table than last time around and ideally with a points total bigger than 52.

So many midfield and defensive options we could put out a different 8 from game to game and still look good.

3 decent signings away from mid table mediocrity :-)

Get Brayford in, a keeper like Woodman (Newcastle) or Hamer (Leicester) in on loan and NC needs to pull in a favour by getting Cauley Woodrow back in until January.

Don't think Boyce is a great loss, he looked absolutely atrocious in the game I watched. That said, they played with Bywater in net, 3 at the back including Buxton and Warnock... would be enough to give me shivers. Murphy looks the class above and Akpan should improve them too. But I still think they'll be bottom 5.

Sith Happens
47 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

I've not seen what the other sides have done in terms of strengthening, or how they've looked pre-season but... the Brewers will be safer this season than last. Struggle is probably not the right word Paul, it will be tough but I'm putting my money on finishing higher up the league table than last time around and ideally with a points total bigger than 52.

So many midfield and defensive options we could put out a different 8 from game to game and still look good.

3 decent signings away from mid table mediocrity :-)

Get Brayford in, a keeper like Woodman (Newcastle) or Hamer (Leicester) in on loan and NC needs to pull in a favour by getting Cauley Woodrow back in until January.

I hope you are right.

I wouldnt worry about my predicitons of gut feelings anyway, they rarely come true.

On Tuesday, June 27, 2017 at 11:58, Moist One said:

Porter was agreed before Clough came I think, 

Chris Porter was NC first signing. 

Archived