Clough and Burton

Ramz64

20 minutes ago, Funky said:

So all the £100 million or so that Mel Morris has put into the club has been turned into equity has it? 

If so, that is genuinely very generous, Jack Walkeresque and I tip my hat.  Very few successful businessmen give their money away like that.

If not then it isn't. 

The horses mouth   (see at bottom of article)

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/derby-county-s-latest-financial-results-are-revealed/story-30244198-detail/story.html

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/22/2017 at 16:59, Anon said:

Brilliant! I knew Clough would turn over the dirties. Continually grinding Leeds into the dirt was by far and away my favourite thing about Clough's reign at Derby. I will laugh my head off if Leeds miss out on the play offs. Burton pretty much safe now. An incredible achievement.

Absolutely prayed for it.I can now go to the local shop out of disguise and say to the filthites " Nerr mind lads" (almost uncontrollable snigger). Thanks a million,Nigel and the lads.Well done for staying up,incredibly phenomenal achievement.

14 minutes ago, sunnyhill60 said:

If the club says there's no external debt,then it's either a mistake or something's happened to the £3m Co-op loan that was brought out of 'other creditors' and reclassified as debt.Interesting.

20 hours ago, sunnyhill60 said:

The debt is lower now than when the non-league magician was in charge - please keep up!

I think that after his Cup runs at Sheffield, he's a Cup magician too. Now a Championship magician at Burton, that's a full house! Excellent effort all round and rightly recognised. 

No wonder Sam's having a few days off :whistle:

9 hours ago, David said:

Be interesting what's next for Burton, I'm not a Clough fan but he's done a great job keeping them up, huge credit where huge credits due.

What's the next step? Is the money there to invest a little more to try and stay in the league a little earlier?

I would guess they may look to cash in on Irvine and use the funds to strengthen, am I right in saying the owner hasn't been that impressed with attendances which is a shame as they could do with all the money they can.

It's not being disrespectful to say both Sheff Utd and Bolton coming up are much more attractive clubs to join and won't be looking to just stay in the Championship.

Will be tough next season, even though it was supposed to be this season.

The attendances have fallen a bit short of expectation I think David, only 5 times this season has there been more than 6k for a home game, perversely the away support has been incredible. Having said that, even with the home support, the growth over the last 10 season has still been phenomenal and I think you'd struggle to find many clubs who have increased attendances 4 times over during the same period (maybe weird ones like Lincoln City)

In terms of next season, I believe the TV money will again be around the 6.5m mark and if I'm not wrong they may also get a cut of the solidarity/parachute payment from Newcastle going straight back up, not sure what the exact figure is. I think ben Robinson gave NC a budet of 6.5m last season, which was as much as they could throw at him.

Outgoings, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Jackson Irvine leave but I've got everything crossed that if there is a release clause in his contract it's sizeable enough to put some meat on NC's budget next time around. I don't think you'd find many Brewers who would begrudge him a big move, as long as he doesn't go to a local rival ;-)

The key to next season will be two fold, the biggest achievement will be keeping hold of all of Turner, Brayford and MacFadzean, if they can do that, then the platform for survival is already there. The other element will centre around the loan market again, NC has really played the market brilliantly this season with most of his loans hitting the ground running and having a real impact.

If there is any chance of keeping hold of the loanees for another season then they'll be in good shape again, Murphy is probably the most realistic option, the other loanees like Woodrow, Kightly and Christensen may fancy getting bigger clubs next time around.

I think it's important to remember that NC built a top ten squad (I think top 6 but the facts say differently) at Derby with an eventual first team budget of around 8m quid.

I'd settle now for finishing one point and one place further ahead than this season and that would keep up NC's proud record of finishing higher each season than the one before. Business as usual for NC really, so far in his 19 seasons as a manager he's achieved that 16 times.

Congrats to all round, I did consider gloating a little bit but these days there's little point, the only ones who don't recognise that NC isn't a total duck egg are in the minority.

20 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

the other loanees like Woodrow, Kightly and Christensen may fancy getting bigger clubs next time around.

Given his injuries, Kightly should be happy with the level of football he's had, whilst he's still clearly got it, I don't see bigger clubs willing to take a punt on him until he can prove himself to stay fit long term. 

Out of contract in the summer as well. 

If I was Nigel, offer him a year +1 deal.

If I was Kightly I would take it.

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, maydrakin said:

I see Jon McLaughlin is on his way out on a free.

Might be quite a difficult player to replace, as he looked quite impressive for them.

Wouldn't be at all surprised to see Jon rock up at Pride Park, he was a Rowett signing, he's going to a championship club who offered him more than Burton were prepared to match (to be fair that could be almost ANY championship club).

Decent keeper, very solid, makes very few errors but then again could be a bit more commanding of his area, and a bit less ready to ******* his team mates. There was a 5 or 6 game spell December where any cross that came into Burton's box resulted in a goal.

Interesting to see who Burton get as a replacement as well, can't see them starting the season with Stephen Bywater as the only recognised number 1/

Sith Happens

DET said the other day Bucko could be on his way back to Burton, could be lazy journalism but certainly wouldnt surprise me.

17 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

DET said the other day Bucko could be on his way back to Burton, could be lazy journalism but certainly wouldnt surprise me.

Haven't they just released their captain?

Captain Bucko has a nice sound to it.

3 hours ago, David said:

Haven't they just released their captain?

Captain Bucko has a nice sound to it.

Mousinho is captain David, they've offered him a new deal but he hasn't signed yet.

I'd LOVE to see Bucko plaing under NC again but I think it's going to be dependent on who stays and what formation NC plays next season.

Turner, MacFadzean and Brayford are the 3 first choice, Mous is behind them.

Of course the Bray is still under contract at Sheff utd so I guess there's a chance they won't let him come back next season, they offloaded him to get rid of the wages, now I don't think that's an issue anymore.

Lots of possibilities, I'd like to see Bray stay, Burton give Utd MacFadzean as a swap for him and then bring in the mighty Bucko.

One thing is fairly certain, if he's coming that means Burton are about to lose one at least one of the four and I'd be gutted if it were either Brayford or Turner. Mousinho or Macfadzean and I'd be quite comfortable with that.

• 2 weeks later...

Just reading the Villa transfer budget thread and it made me smile. I'm not sure how they'll survive with only a million to spend, having shpunted best part of £50m already.

Meanwhile down at the Pirelli, NC has completed his first signing of the summer in Matty Lund on a free transfer from Rochdale. At 26 he's never played above league one level, but I know SC and the rest of the scouting team have watched him a lot last season, so they clearly fancy his chances of stepping up.

You know what I love about it? He could just as easily turn out to be the signing of the summer as NC goes back to looking to unearth gems for free or for a couple of hundred grand again. I bet the record signing will be no more than 600k.

I loved that part of his time at Derby, when he was trying to build something out of nothing and still stay competitive.

Even if Matty Lund coming in means Jackson Irvine is off, NC has found a midfielder who is strong, physical. likes to get forward and has an eye for a goal.  It might be tough to find another Jackson Irvine, especially for nowt, but I'm really excited to see IF this lad has what it takes, and he cost bugger all.

I'm a bit old fashioned and like to see the underdog dong well, especially if I think they're doing things the right way. Burton Albion are doing things the right way. I love it.

Sith Happens
10 hours ago, ronnieronalde said:

Just reading the Villa transfer budget thread and it made me smile. I'm not sure how they'll survive with only a million to spend, having shpunted best part of £50m already.

Meanwhile down at the Pirelli, NC has completed his first signing of the summer in Matty Lund on a free transfer from Rochdale. At 26 he's never played above league one level, but I know SC and the rest of the scouting team have watched him a lot last season, so they clearly fancy his chances of stepping up.

You know what I love about it? He could just as easily turn out to be the signing of the summer as NC goes back to looking to unearth gems for free or for a couple of hundred grand again. I bet the record signing will be no more than 600k.

I loved that part of his time at Derby, when he was trying to build something out of nothing and still stay competitive.

Even if Matty Lund coming in means Jackson Irvine is off, NC has found a midfielder who is strong, physical. likes to get forward and has an eye for a goal.  It might be tough to find another Jackson Irvine, especially for nowt, but I'm really excited to see IF this lad has what it takes, and he cost bugger all.

I'm a bit old fashioned and like to see the underdog dong well, especially if I think they're doing things the right way. Burton Albion are doing things the right way. I love it.

I really liked what you were saying, up until the point about seeing a dogs dong :)

16 hours ago, ronnieronalde said:

5 hours ago, Paul71 said:

I really liked what you were saying, up until the point about seeing a dogs dong :)

Ron's obviously not a fan of animal castration. Keeping it old school and natural.

Sith Happens

Well done to Clough for being nominated by the LMA for manager of the year. It went to Conte who else, but still a good acheivement to be nominated.

Serious question to anyone who wants to jump in with an opinion but especially to @Derby_EnglandLoyal, and it's not trying to wind you up pal, it's just getting your views and I know you like to make predictions as well :-)

First of all who do you think should win Championship manager of the year

Secondly, who do you think WILL win Championship manager of the year

Thirdly IF by some miracle NC gets voted for, will you start to even slightly change your opinion of him as a manager?

Archived