William Hughes

Mafiabob

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good on him earning a new contract, but, he's got to do more for me. I'm not seeing him influence games enough. He can't win a game on his own.

So whilst its better we have him, I don't understand why he's talked about as something far better than he actually is. If he can start pinging 40 yard passes and hitting the target with his shots, then yes, we'll have a real player on our hands.

For me, he'll always be a very good championship player, no more.

23 minutes ago, Super Johnny Russell said:

Good on him earning a new contract, but, he's got to do more for me. I'm not seeing him influence games enough. He can't win a game on his own.

So whilst its better we have him, I don't understand why he's talked about as something far better than he actually is. If he can start pinging 40 yard passes and hitting the target with his shots, then yes, we'll have a real player on our hands.

He's 21 years old and responsible for some of the best assists of the season in each of the seasons he's played, including this one. Passes that turn over well organised opposing defences. Came back from injury a harder, more combative player in defense.

He plays for England Under-21s alongside Premier League regulars and they look better for it every time he plays, setting up their best goal of the recent tournament.

What more do you want for someone of his age? The moon on a stick?

29 minutes ago, Super Johnny Russell said:

We are very lucky to still have him he is a class act and we don't control games without him. There is plenty of players who score more or cover more ground but Will is technically the best player in this league and will only get better

41 minutes ago, Super Johnny Russell said:

If you want to play route one then you're probably right.

If you want to play football on the ground then Will Hughes could slot into any premier league side and not look out of place.

In typically brilliant "BBC sport journos don't seem to understand there is anything important going on outside the Premier League and rarely bother to fact check" nonsense:

England Under-21 midfielder Will Hughes has signed a new three-and-a-half year contract with Championship promotion-hopefuls Derby County.

Hughes, 21, made his debut at the age of 16 during manager Steve McClaren's first spell in charge and has already played 170 games for the club.

McClaren told the official website: "We're all thrilled Will has committed his future until at least 2020.

"Will is an exciting young talent and a really important player."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38608167

1 hour ago, Super Johnny Russell said:

Think you need to watch Bents goal against Wolves again .

9 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

Think you need to watch Bents goal against Wolves again .

I have to agree with SJR here im afraid.

He needs to show a lot more than what he is doing this season. No question of his ability at all. When he is on it, he is the best player in the league. Easily. 

Fact is though this season he has had a lot more poor games than good games. The Birmingham home game he was very very good. Then the next gane against Wigan he was poor. A player of his ability should be getting games like that by the scruff of the neck and dominatong them. 

The assist against Wolves was out of this world. No other player in our side or probably the league would have seen that pass let alone attempt it. 

But as brilliant as it was that was in 1 game? What other assists/goals has he done this season? 

How many times you come out of a game this season and said "Hughes was brilliant" Ipswich at home, Wolves away, Birmingham at home. 2nd half v Forest. 

My point is. Is that he's a brilliant footballer. But he needs to add goals and assists to his game to be more effective. 

Just now, King Kevin said:

Beat me to it ,he's 21 ffs.

Whats his age got to do with it? How long we gonna keep saying he is only young? 

Entering his 6th season as a professional footballer. All im saying is if he wants to play in the premier league. Of which there are players younger than him and of his age playing. Then he needs to be more consistent. 

148 games for Derby. 9 goals. 

Buxton- 139 games for Derby. 11 goals. 

Archived