1988/89 Season

Bridgford Ram

6 hours ago, England Ram said:

Don't remember Trev scoring that many from midfield, and thought Mr Gee scored more than one, but what a joy to watch from the key club back then:)

I guess the saunders goddard partnership meant not much time for Gee on the field.

I suppose his only goal that season was the "Gee ..... screamer" goal against eventual champions Arsenal.

Bit of trivia for you... derby were the only team to do the double against the champions that season (Arsenal)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, Bridgford Ram said:

I also remember Deano's first game - Radio Derby were doing their annual Money Mountain charity thing and lots of people used to pledge money per Derby goal and we got 4 versus Wimbledon.  The week before we drew 0-0 with Charlton and had Dave Penney playing up front!

Not sure why it only shows 3 of our goals..

Both on the big match live goals, round up, and the end of season goals vid, the mel sage goal doesnt appear because of camera malfunction. (so no footage of this goal appears) I was at this game, but because there is no footage i cannot remember a thing about his goal. Infact did mel score any other goals for Derby? i cant remember any.

17 minutes ago, Ken Tram said:

Singin Oooooo Mark Wright, Deano, and Arthur is our King

Was it the season that Derby beat Arsenal near the end the season? My uncle (Arsenal fan), took me to the match at Highbury near the end of the season. Arsenal fans were scattered around the ground at the end with hands in their heads (edit: or heads in their hands!) sitting on the floor, because they thought they'd lost the league. Clearly, I was delighted with the Derby goals and wins, and he tells me that I was lucky to get out without being clobbered.

Someone should write a book about that

6 hours ago, Daz_The_Ram said:

This was the season of my first ever game, and clearly for that reason lives long in the memory.

Derby 2 v 0 Newcastle at the Baseball Ground. Hebberd with an absolute scorcher from 30 yards, and my Dad, lifting m into his arms, spinning around with joy. I was eight years old.

Magical memories, and actually our best ever season since the real glory days. I still have the VHS season review video at home.

Is this the game when Gazza was sent off in the first minute for a very late tackle on the touchline?

6 minutes ago, Jezza said:

I'm sure i have still have the season highlights on VHS, not much use now but i still have it.

That season was so good, I don't need a video to remind me of it, it's all written to memory.

I could probably tell you more about that season than I could about the first 9 games of this season.

1 hour ago, Steve How Hard!!! said:

Geraint/ George Williams would definitely do a job covering for our modern day George at CDM. Hard as nails and just did the simple things very well. Very rarely wasted the ball. His contribution often over looked because of all the other legends around him.

Spot on that, youth. We missed him when he went

What an excellent thread. Went to both the Spurs and Villa away games. Ted was superb against Tottingham . Great flicked header from Deano v Villa. I can remember being behind the goal against Villa and when Nigel Callaghan was waiting to take a corner from the right side a Rams fan said to him in a high pitched voice " Can we come to your disco Nige ?" as I think he was DJ ing at the time or trying to more like.Cracked me up.

Can anyone on ere own up to it ?

That was a great season, think we finished 5th that season, and if English clubs were not banned from European football, we would have been playing in Europe . Deano and Goddard were unstoppable that season, Ted was a joy to watch, and Mark Wright was and still is the best centre half I have ever seen for Derby, yes even better than Stimac, great away days that season at Manu and Villa, I was 18 years old, and love that season to bits, probably my favourite season being a Rams fan.

Yeh great season. I was in America for the start of the season and Israel for 3 months but went to the Newcastle game where gazza was sent off. Not sure it was that early. 

Also that fantastic game against Everton n the sublime chip by Goddard. Popside 18 yard box. 

5th pretty good position. Europe not thanks to Liverpool scum. 

12 hours ago, jagerbob said:

Is this the game when Gazza was sent off in the first minute for a very late tackle on the touchline?

No dude I think that was the season before... it led to that famous Graham Richards commentary ... where he ranted on at Gazza ... calling him a 'useless, fat, brat!!'

12 hours ago, Steve How Hard!!! said:

Geraint/ George Williams would definitely do a job covering for our modern day George at CDM. Hard as nails and just did the simple things very well. Very rarely wasted the ball. His contribution often over looked because of all the other legends around him.

We could really do with George in the current side. Such a vastly underrated player. Proper ledge.

Archived