1988/89 Season

Bridgford Ram

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My best season as a Rams fan.  My Dad was working for Bovis Homes at the time so would regularly get tickets in the main stand, right at the back behind the executive box.  After a couple of games my Mum & Dad started chatting with a blonde woman around their age by the name of Pamela, took another couple of games before we realised it was Pamela Shitlon!!!  You most upset I've ever been was after Deano's debut against Wimbledon, when she asked us if we fancied popping into the players lounge for a drink, only for my parents to decline as we had to get my mate, who'd come along, home in time for tea :(  Still haven't forgiven him til this day...

Everything about that season was brilliant, the kits, the players (except Steve Cross, he was utter sausage), the manager, the goals, even the sending offs.  A joyous 10 months...

16 hours ago, oomarkwright said:

Yeh great season. I was in America for the start of the season and Israel for 3 months but went to the Newcastle game where gazza was sent off. Not sure it was that early. 

Also that fantastic game against Everton n the sublime chip by Goddard. Popside 18 yard box. 

5th pretty good position. Europe not thanks to Liverpool scum. 

Yes thanks Liverpool, and eufa, what's the justification in banning all English clubs because a bunch of Liverpool thugs can't behave like civilised humans...should have been able to sue them for loss if income.

1. Ted McMinn ......best player to grace a derby shirt that I have seen ( no I wasn't there for the titles lol )

Always remember the Man utd match when they put 3 players on him. I have never laughed so much in all my life at a match . They didn't know where he was going but trouble was neither did ted lol.

2. Georgie Williams .....fab player as someone else has said always over looked for what he did

3. Paul Blades........One of the finest full backs to grace a derby shirt ever very very under rated

4. Graham Richards ....... pure class !!

Two of my 'all time top 5' that season .... spurs away 3-1 aka 'the McMinn game' ... Utd away 2-1 2-0?. 

Shilts was impeccable at spurs, remember a couple of saves from gazza free kicks. Wright too. The mcminn goals were at the far end so not the best view, but the Saunders goal was right in front of us. 

Utd game - As per above, the Saunders turn on Bruce around the half way line, cross and Goddard header was pure magic.

the Utd game was the day of Hillsboro. And pretty sure Paul Stewart played for spurs that game (scored maybe?) .... who has been in the news this week.

great season, standing terracing, and fortune enough to be at those 2 games!!!

HAPPY DAYZ!!!!

It was a great season, and I went to all the home games and most of the away games - great season and a damm good football team

i remember watching a crazy week or so signing Saunders beating Wimbledon 4-1 at home then losing 5-0 at West Ham in the league cup then winning 3-1 at Tottenham.

we also played superbly at Man U winning 2-0 but sadly it was the day of the hillsbourgh disaster so we received no real comment, ultimately we finished fifth which would have qualified for Europe but all English clubs were banned at the time.

On 23/11/2016 at 22:23, Mick Brolly said:

Watford away 4th round fa cup one of the loudest rams following I can recall , standing in the rain at ayresome park the tin man scoring straight from a corner happy days!

I was at both, Watford a great day but we played poor and bora away we were all in line as mc minn corner flew in from the six yard box by a gale which was the coldest I have been at a game

Up their in my top 3 seasons since watching the Rams since 78.As an apprentice at the railway a group of us went everywhere with having free travel .Went to all the matches home and away, season started slow then the signing of Saunders and it just took of.The wins away at Spurs,Villa,Utd and Arsenal were fantastic just a shame that English clubs were banned from Europe as I think it's the highest finish in the top division since 75 which robbed us of playing in European competition.Great memories from a great season.

On 24/11/2016 at 17:48, Paul71 said:

Yes thanks Liverpool, and eufa, what's the justification in banning all English clubs because a bunch of Liverpool thugs can't behave like civilised humans...should have been able to sue them for loss if income.

I think they banned all English clubs due to us dominating Europe at the time. Just a thought. Back to o/t....agree this was an amazing season.

On 24/11/2016 at 13:08, ramsbottom said:

My best season as a Rams fan.  My Dad was working for Bovis Homes at the time so would regularly get tickets in the main stand, right at the back behind the executive box.  After a couple of games my Mum & Dad started chatting with a blonde woman around their age by the name of Pamela, took another couple of games before we realised it was Pamela Shitlon!!!  You most upset I've ever been was after Deano's debut against Wimbledon, when she asked us if we fancied popping into the players lounge for a drink, only for my parents to decline as we had to get my mate, who'd come along, home in time for tea :(  Still haven't forgiven him til this day...

Everything about that season was brilliant, the kits, the players (except Steve Cross, he was utter sausage), the manager, the goals, even the sending offs.  A joyous 10 months...

I feel for Pamela, poor woman. 

If that was my surname I'd certainly think about getting it changed by deed poll. 

Archived