1988/89 Season

Bridgford Ram

As a poor sleeper I often wake in the night and to avoid starting to worry about work or other issues in my life I have started just running through each of the positions in the Derby squad, so far I have never got past the midfield before dropping off back to sleep, as an alternative to counting sheep.  Anyway last night I started thinking about the 88/89 squad, which achieved the best finish in my life time.

The appearances in the style of the Green 'un. 

Appearances in all comps - Blades, Forsyth, Shilton 44, Hebberd, Williams 43, McMinn 38, Wright 37, Goddard 35(1), Saunders 33,  Micklewhite 19(11), Hindmarch 29, Callaghan 22, Cross 8(14), Sage 19, Gee 11(4), Penney 5(6), Pickering 7(3), Cheidozie 2, Paterson 1, 

Goals in all comps - Saunders 14 (2 pens), Hebberd 8, Goddard 7, McMinn 5, Micklewhite 4, Callaghan 3, Blades, Gee, Penney, Sage, Williams, Wright 1

What are your memories of the season?  Which players did you love?  Where do you think the squad was weak?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This was the season of my first ever game, and clearly for that reason lives long in the memory.

Derby 2 v 0 Newcastle at the Baseball Ground. Hebberd with an absolute scorcher from 30 yards, and my Dad, lifting m into his arms, spinning around with joy. I was eight years old.

Magical memories, and actually our best ever season since the real glory days. I still have the VHS season review video at home.

1 hour ago, RamsPolls said:

Has Forsyth really been with us since 1988???

Well you learn something new everyday!

Here is Forsyth at the last reunion golf day,

shilts still looking like Englands number one to the side of him, deano on the other with wrighty in the cap and cally squeezing in to the edge !!

happy memories !

1460803379-d35af56a5364f0479326c3dc8acbc07b-600x368.jpg

4 hours ago, England Ram said:

Don't remember Trev scoring that many from midfield, and thought Mr Gee scored more than one, but what a joy to watch from the key club back then:)

Gee struggled to get a look in that season with Saunders and Goddard tearing teams a new one every week.

If that was Gee's only goal of the season it was worth waiting for, remember it like it was yesterday...

"Callaghan confronted by Dixon, he's left him a bit of room and he might yet pay for that, here's Gee SCREAMER"

Derby 2 Arsenal 1

Happy days in the key club on my milk crate...well until Derby scored!

48 minutes ago, Seth's left foot said:

I remember hanging off the front of the Columbo terrace and seeing some great games. If I remember correctly we beat Everton 3-2 in a really good game and Goddard scored with a chip from distance.

The blue chequered away kit was mint.

Was that from quite wide, curled into the top corner?

Yes it was...

I love the fact that for Everton's first goal, the camera man made no effort whatsoever to keep up with the ball.  That was a decent Everton side we beat here.

1 minute ago, Bridgford Ram said:

Was that from quite wide, curled into the top corner?

Yes it was...

I love the fact that for Everton's first goal, the camera man made no effort whatsoever to keep up with the ball.  That was a decent Everton side we beat here.

Sky wouldn't stand for that shoddy work!

Thanks for that, always nice to look back at the side I remember so fondly along with the 90's side of Eranio, Wanchope etc.

I also remember Deano's first game - Radio Derby were doing their annual Money Mountain charity thing and lots of people used to pledge money per Derby goal and we got 4 versus Wimbledon.  The week before we drew 0-0 with Charlton and had Dave Penney playing up front!

Not sure why it only shows 3 of our goals..

Singin Oooooo Mark Wright, Deano, and Arthur is our King

Was it the season that Derby beat Arsenal near the end the season? My uncle (Arsenal fan), took me to the match at Highbury near the end of the season. Arsenal fans were scattered around the ground at the end with hands in their heads (edit: or heads in their hands!) sitting on the floor, because they thought they'd lost the league. Clearly, I was delighted with the Derby goals and wins, and he tells me that I was lucky to get out without being clobbered.

3 goals that come to mind from that season.

Saunders v QPR. Spun away from Paul Parker (who was probably the fastest defender around at the time) on the halfway line and outsprinted him with the ball for 40 yards before firing home.

Goddard v Everton. Delightful chip.

Goddard v Man United. Saunders had Steve Bruce's pants round his ankles with the most audacious of turns before sitting up a cross at the far post that Goddard could not miss.Please look this up on YouTube if you've never seen it.

Just now, Ken Tram said:

Singin Oooooo Mark Wright, Deano, and Arthur is our King

Was it the season that Derby beat Arsenal near the end the season? My uncle (Arsenal fan), took me to the match at Highbury near the end of the season. Arsenal fans were scattered around the ground at the end with hands in their heads sitting on the floor, because they thought they'd lost the league. Clearly, I was delighted with the Derby goals and wins, and he tells me that I was lucky to get out without being clobbered.

That's the season, Deano scored a fantastic volley . 

So glad Arsenal beat the scousers to the title but will never make up for them costing us a place in Europe.

So many good memories of that season. The highest place finish in my 'living memory' (we won the league when i was under 1); Deano's debut; Deano scoring in his first 5 or 6 games and I went to them all home and away; the double over the league champions; winning away at OT; Graham Richards on RD for the games i could't get to; Ted McMinn; Paul Goddard; Mel Sage; Mark Wright; Cally; Trevor Hebberd; Gary Micklewhite; George etc and King Arthur with Roy Mac and Gordie; the BBG; the Ramtique; the Baseball Chippy; the Green Un..... jeez, we had it good!

Archived