Which positions if any would you like to see us strengthen in January?

Day

Which positions if any would you like to see us strengthen in January?  

154 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, RamsPolls said:

Gone for;

RB to cover Christie when he is back. Chris Baird cannot play more than 10 games a season. 

LW (wherever Russell plays) - to replace Johnny Russell as he has no end product and lacks quality when we need it.

Same here although I'd look for a RB who's an improvement on Christie. I love the enthusiasm of Johnny Russell and he seems to be very popular with the rest of the squad but he doesn't do it often enough where it matters most - on the pitch. 

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Does CM stand for Chrissy M? We certainly need more goalscorers - Bent and Vydra aren't gonna be enough to the end of the season.

I know what you mean and share the sentiment but I just get the feeling that we haven't seen Vydra outside a struggling team.

i hope I am right, not 100% certain but have a gut feeling that he is going to prove his worth given the opportunity

1 hour ago, jono said:

I know what you mean and share the sentiment but I just get the feeling that we haven't seen Vydra outside a struggling team.

i hope I am right, not 100% certain but have a gut feeling that he is going to prove his worth given the opportunity

I hope so too. But we'll need more cover than 2 goalscorers to the end of the season.

Players need to leave before players are signed.

As much as people are wanting a RB we have Christie & Baird then Hanson, Anya & Rawson.

Same on the flanks, agreed we need more quality out there but the squad is stockpiled with so called talent. No point signing another wide player until we shift a couple of Ince, Russell, Camera, Blackman & Weimann.

I'm on the fence until I see who leaves because you'd imagine on paper we already have enough to compete at this level. Even under all of this we have a handful of talented kids. Rawson, Hanson & Elsnik should be coming through either this season or next or we'd have to assume they aren't and will never be good enough.

3 minutes ago, dajstrawb said:

Pleased with what we have but a wide player who can play (Dawkins mold) would be welcome

Six weeks ago, your post would have seemed ridiculous to me, dajstrawb but today it just looks very sensible indeed. Bizarre improvement in the squad's performance. COYR.

Honestly, I think this a really tricky question because it's hard to say what will happen between now and January from two perspectives. 1) It's difficult to know how much more the current squad is going to develop just through coaching under McClaren and 2) What position we will be in come January i.e. are we trying to consolidate around the playoffs, push for the playoffs or push for automatics. I also think we probably need to move a couple players in January who don't quite fit or are excess to requirements. With those caveats here's the areas I'd be looking at:

RB - We lack a recognised energetic right back who can fly up and down the flank to cover/compete with Christie. It's possible Anya could be coached into the role or we can just get by with Baird filling in but it's difficult to say. If we do dip into the market I'd personally look for someone who is either better than Christie or is younger and can maybe make the step up.

LB - As of right now I think we are ok here what with Lowe looking like a real player, however I'd keep an eye out for players to potentially bring in on loan because I can see two possibilities happening (I'm not saying either possibility is forced to happen mind): Olsson wants out because of not getting game time and Lowe being selected ahead of him, Lowe's form drops/starts to pick up niggly injuries and we want to take him out of the firing line.

CDM - Entirely dependent on Thorne's fitness, if by January he is back in 1st team consideration we will be with him and Johnson to compete there but if not I'd be looking at bringing in cover on loan.

LW - This is dependent on a couple of wide players being moved on and I'd only dip into the market for an absolutely top drawyer player who can improve us substantially.

ST - A couple of weeks a go I'd have said it was a nailed on certainty than we need to bring in a new striker (or find a way to get back Martin) but with the new and improved Darren Bent (and Vydra being molded into what we need behind the scenes) I'm not so sure. It's still going to be worth keeping an eye for striker who can readily involve himself in build-up play but come January it may not be needed.

I think ultimately january will see 2-3 players leave and hopefully 1-2 top quality players come in to improve what we have. 

If Christie is out long term, then absolutely, scour the market for someone similar...that flying wing back style is the very basis of what we are doing. Oh, and I'm sorry to have to tell you, Anya ain't the answer. No more room for square pegs in round holes, and I don't give a toss what he did in a 3-0 defeat for Scotland against England. 

This idea by the way, that Baird isn't more than adequate cover in the interim, is absolute nonsense.

Can't play more than ten games a year' ... on what basis? Because you said so?

He has barely been given a chance in his Derby career. When called upon this season, he has done perfectly well, and will continue to do so until replaced.

Agreed, he is forward thinking, but he is an old fashioned, collected, reliable full back. Sometimes, that little bit of experience does a team good, someone who knows the position. That will do for me for now.

2 hours ago, brady1993 said:

Honestly, I think this a really tricky question because it's hard to say what will happen between now and January from two perspectives. 1) It's difficult to know how much more the current squad is going to develop just through coaching under McClaren and 2) What position we will be in come January i.e. are we trying to consolidate around the playoffs, push for the playoffs or push for automatics. I also think we probably need to move a couple players in January who don't quite fit or are excess to requirements. With those caveats here's the areas I'd be looking at:

RB - We lack a recognised energetic right back who can fly up and down the flank to cover/compete with Christie. It's possible Anya could be coached into the role or we can just get by with Baird filling in but it's difficult to say. If we do dip into the market I'd personally look for someone who is either better than Christie or is younger and can maybe make the step up.

LB - As of right now I think we are ok here what with Lowe looking like a real player, however I'd keep an eye out for players to potentially bring in on loan because I can see two possibilities happening (I'm not saying either possibility is forced to happen mind): Olsson wants out because of not getting game time and Lowe being selected ahead of him, Lowe's form drops/starts to pick up niggly injuries and we want to take him out of the firing line.

CDM - Entirely dependent on Thorne's fitness, if by January he is back in 1st team consideration we will be with him and Johnson to compete there but if not I'd be looking at bringing in cover on loan.

LW - This is dependent on a couple of wide players being moved on and I'd only dip into the market for an absolutely top drawyer player who can improve us substantially.

ST - A couple of weeks a go I'd have said it was a nailed on certainty than we need to bring in a new striker (or find a way to get back Martin) but with the new and improved Darren Bent (and Vydra being molded into what we need behind the scenes) I'm not so sure. It's still going to be worth keeping an eye for striker who can readily involve himself in build-up play but come January it may not be needed.

I think ultimately january will see 2-3 players leave and hopefully 1-2 top quality players come in to improve what we have. 

I think that is a great analysis. The only thing I'd add is a general feeling that genuine pacy right sided flank players are in short supply at Derby .. in a 433 with Christie being half defender and half winger, a pure right wing might not be the thing but someone right footed who can go outside and down to the bye line is something I feel we should have in our tool box. Maybe I've missed something ? Comments from the wise ones please. 

2 hours ago, brady1993 said:

Lots of sense spoken here. Hard to be definitive before the time eg currently if Johnson got injured or his form dipped again then we would be light in a crucial position...but if not and Thorne is back it would be hard to justify another signing there. 

Personally wouldn't desperately want Chris Martin back, he's not been looking right for a good season or so now. Think Russell, Camara, Blackman, Weimann all got to be looking over their shoulders ...one or two attacking loan signings and any/all could easily be let go.

However if Steve doesn't sign anyone I wouldn't mind..There is plenty more to come from that squad ...such was the level of underachievement!

I'd say we have too many players as it stands. I'd be looking to move on before thinking about incoming. For me there's talent and depth in the youth as well, seeing Lowe come in and stake a claim must have others chomping at the bit.

Only current issues are at RB but I think we've got enough cover and a bit more variety at ST which would be rectified by a returning, fired up Chris Martin.

I'd rather see Mac getting the most out of what he's got and trimming down to a hungry, determined and together squad of players.

First job has only be moving on 3 or so players who don't have a future here and are just collecting dust.

On 23/11/2016 at 18:08, jono said:

I think that is a great analysis. The only thing I'd add is a general feeling that genuine pacy right sided flank players are in short supply at Derby .. in a 433 with Christie being half defender and half winger, a pure right wing might not be the thing but someone right footed who can go outside and down to the bye line is something I feel we should have in our tool box. Maybe I've missed something ? Comments from the wise ones please. 

I have to disagree about needing a 'right-sided get to the by-line winger' and I'll explain why. Firstly I want to make the distinction between a winger (in the traditional sense) and an inside forward. A winger being something close to what you're describing and inside forward being a player who will drift inside, look to support the centre forward and get in on goal.

With the style of football we want to play and with how are system is set up we want to play with inside forwards for a few reasons: to ensure that the centre forward doesn't get isolated, get involved with our passing build-up play around the box, provide a goal threat and so they can have the freedom to take up space to maximally hurt teams. This has been a big key in how we've played under McClaren and is a big part in why we are an effective attacking unit. The inside forwards drifting inside leaves space in the wide areas that our attacking full backs can exploit to keep the opposition stretched and provide crosses into the box as a secondary plan of attack. The fullbacks are essentially the 'get to the byline' players for us as we eschew traditional wingers to have a more fluid and dynamic system.

The ideal for these positions are clever footballers who have an appreciation for where they can most affect a game, who are good dribblers who can take players on in tight spaces in more central areas, have good control to receive the ball and move it on in tight central areas and can finish. Usually they will be 'wrong-footed' (a left footed player, playing on the right side) so it is easier to angle shooting opportunities.

With all that said, I do think having a very dynamic player who could just drive at opponents, someone in the mould of Jordan Ibe could be a real asset but that isn't the player you're describing.

Archived