Which positions if any would you like to see us strengthen in January?

Day

Which positions if any would you like to see us strengthen in January?  

154 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

13 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

You can make an argument that we don't need to bring anyone it all.

Baird's stepped up at RB and we've got Anya and Hanson who can play there. Not to mention Christie will be looking to return by the end of February. By the time we get a RB in, they could not be needed anymore. Outside the cup, the busy period you need depth for is from mid-December to the end of January.

Unless we literally signed them on January 1st or both Baird and Anya's form drops off a cliff, I think a new RB would be a bit of a waste of budget. I like the idea of bringing in a Wisdom type player who is both a RB and a CB, that would add some variety to our squad and justify the budget on them. Particularly if Shackell leaves, that would mean they'd be first choice back up for at least one position.

I'd have made quite the case for a hold up striker a few weeks ago, but Bent's also stepped up to the plate in the last few games and with his prestige, you'd back him to keep up this role as the main striker at the club. Add to that our club record signing patiently sitting on the bench, what would a third striker really add?

There's even Nick Blackman to come back, someone who supposedly joined Derby to play ST. After the way Bent's taken to the role, would you take away the chance for McClaren to coach him in playing as a lone ST?

There's been talk of Crouch and Jutkiewicz, but could you convince the likes those two to come to Derby when they possibly wouldn't even make the matchday squad? It would take a brave manager to upset the current balance we have up front.

I definitely wouldn't bring in a DM, we've got Thorne to come back and Johnson's playing the best we've seen him at Derby right now. Let those two battle it out and if one of them gets injured, we've got Hanson as back-up. Maybe bring in a quicker CAM to offer a different option to Butterfield and Hughes?

We definitely don't need anymore wingers, Ince is undroppable right now and even if he does drop off, we have 5 other wingers to choose from. Blackman and Weimann can play ST too.

For me, it really depends on if we sell anyone, our squad is so big at the moment that we should really looking within it to solve problems rather than adding to it.

I think that is an excellent post.

We've seen in the past that in the January window you can very easily end up buying just for the sake of buying. Your points regarding the form of Baird and Bent are spot on, and our options for defensive midfield/anchor whatever you want to call it, can't get much better, with Johnson looking the player we signed, and Thorne well on his way to the mend. all these guys mentioned are absolute Premier class, and undroppable ...

However, there still for me, remains a gap in cover for Baird's position given that Christie is out of the reckoning until February.

Personally, I think it is a mistake to try and shoehorn Anya into the RB position, it isn't his place, and ultimately, would prove a weakness. Did OK in a short stint there for Derby maybe once or twice, but nonetheless was targeted, that was very clear to me, I think by Blackburn?

Other than that, played there for Scotland when they were royally humped good and proper by England. Doesn't strike me as the best CV for a full back if we're genuinely pushing for promotion. I've no time at all for square pegs in round holes.

As for Hanson, I'm going to upset plenty here (whats new) by stating that I simply don't rate him. He looks all at sea if you ask me. Very limited, not the answer, at least at the moment, either at full back, or in the middle of the park.

If anything, it might serve us well to loan in a full back towards the back end of Christie's lay off ... just for cover. 

We've seen after all, that McClaren can work wonders in the loan market, we've seen it with the likes of Dawkins, and of course Sir George.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived