Which positions if any would you like to see us strengthen in January?

David

Which positions if any would you like to see us strengthen in January?  

154 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I get and agree with your the point about "wrong sided" players cutting in and in our system not really needing old fashioned bye line wingers. ( great, detailed post BTW ) We've seen Ince and Russell do it to good effect. 

I just have a sense that of our forward players we seem to have a disproportionate number of left footers. So who is being our wrong footed player on the left. What are our choices for left sided (but right footed ) inside fowards ?

1 minute ago, jono said:

I get and agree with your the point about "wrong sided" players cutting in and in our system not really needing old fashioned bye line wingers. ( great, detailed post BTW ) We've seen Ince and Russell do it to good effect. 

I just have a sense that of our forward players we seem to have a disproportionate number of left footers. So who is being our wrong footed player on the left. What are our choices for left sided (but right footed ) inside fowards ?

I completely agree we have an overabundance of left footed wide players, thanks to some poor recruitment by Clement. In terms of left sided (right footed) inside forwards we are a bit short. Both Wiemann and Anya are right footed but there are questions marks (in my opinion) about whether they are suited to the role/good enough and is why I think Russell is currently playing there. This is why in my original post I talked (briefly) about looking at the left inside forward spot, it's just I feel if we are going to bring a player in here I want him to be someone who is a step-up on what we currently and not do what we've done over the past few windows i.e. buy players of a similar/worse standard to what we've got.

I think there is an outside chance that Vydra could end up playing well there. He's technically good enough and it would allow him a similar amount of freedom to drift in to space as to what he had when he played off Deeney at Watford.

On 23/11/2016 at 19:20, RodleyRam said:

I'd say we have too many players as it stands. I'd be looking to move on before thinking about incoming. For me there's talent and depth in the youth as well, seeing Lowe come in and stake a claim must have others chomping at the bit.

Only current issues are at RB but I think we've got enough cover and a bit more variety at ST which would be rectified by a returning, fired up Chris Martin.

I'd rather see Mac getting the most out of what he's got and trimming down to a hungry, determined and together squad of players.

First job has only be moving on 3 or so players who don't have a future here and are just collecting dust.

Just out of interest who are the 3 who you think need to move on in January?  I can see Grant going which is fair enough but not many other first team squad members if we had a choice 

On Friday, November 25, 2016 at 20:17, Sparkle said:

Just out of interest who are the 3 who you think need to move on in January?  I can see Grant going which is fair enough but not many other first team squad members if we had a choice 

Yep I'd say Grant, Wiemann (who I actually quite like) and Blackman. I appreciate that's two strikers but I don't see much point bringing players on top of them without moving them on first. I'd rather see Martin back or 1 good player replacing them as I don't think it's worked for either of them here. Nothing personal, I guess I feel they're indicators of when we were buying players for the sake of it and don't see much point keeping players we're not going to play. Also appreciate they've both had injuries but can't see them challenging.

5 hours ago, RodleyRam said:

Yep I'd say Grant, Wiemann (who I actually quite like) and Blackman. I appreciate that's two strikers but I don't see much point bringing players on top of them without moving them on first. I'd rather see Martin back or 1 good player replacing them as I don't think it's worked for either of them here. Nothing personal, I guess I feel they're indicators of when we were buying players for the sake of it and don't see much point keeping players we're not going to play. Also appreciate they've both had injuries but can't see them challenging.

We are probably on the same page there but moving on Blackman will be very difficult for a while and wieman generally disappoints and seems to have no real position within our set up so really it is up the them to produce something so somebody else wants them but I can't see that pair going in January unless it is a short term loan

On 23 November 2016 at 17:01, Daz_The_Ram said:

If Christie is out long term, then absolutely, scour the market for someone similar...that flying wing back style is the very basis of what we are doing. Oh, and I'm sorry to have to tell you, Anya ain't the answer. No more room for square pegs in round holes, and I don't give a toss what he did in a 3-0 defeat for Scotland against England. 

This idea by the way, that Baird isn't more than adequate cover in the interim, is absolute nonsense.

Can't play more than ten games a year' ... on what basis? Because you said so?

He has barely been given a chance in his Derby career. When called upon this season, he has done perfectly well, and will continue to do so until replaced.

Agreed, he is forward thinking, but he is an old fashioned, collected, reliable full back. Sometimes, that little bit of experience does a team good, someone who knows the position. That will do for me for now.

Well said

Good to hear someone put their opinion on the line and be proved right, rather than the usual expertise after the event we normally get 

13 hours ago, BobbyD said:

Well said

Good to hear someone put their opinion on the line and be proved right, rather than the usual expertise after the event we normally get 

Thanks dude! Haha you'll find quite often that, although not purposefully doing so ... I'm a wee bit 'against the grain' on here.

Just pleased for Baird ... I'm slightly biased perhaps as my Dad is a Northern irishman - but then, that means I've seen perhaps seen far more of him than most Rams fans ... he is looking every bit the class act we signed. Became some kind of a pariah early on in his time at Derby, and I thought it was thoroughly unfair.

Long may his good form continue.

There is always a worry when a player is injured and the cover who is playing doesn't have any obvious .. Well ...Cover 

but unless we get bought by a zillionaire Chinese conglomerate hell bent on turning us in to a rival of Man City over night, then I am pretty happy with our squad. I think Weiman hasn't had a run recently and therefore we really haven't seen what he's got. I am not a fan of Blackman. I am sure he isn't a bad player ( but he isn't a promotion chasing team's star striker and never will be ) I think we bought him because Clement knew him as a youngster and he had had a purple patch of form and Mel wanted to be seen to be supporting PC. 

At this point in our development as a club and taking all the FFP stuff into account I'd rather being blooding under 23's than spending 7 figures on overhyped ordinary players. 

Pearce has become a gem, Baird is growing, Lowe is the find of the season. Weiman has ability, Bent has a new lease of life. In midfield we need 3 players and we have Bryson standing by, George on the mend, Hanson more than capable. Then we have Anya, one of the few players to look good under Pearson. 

In short .. Unless we are going seriously shopping at PL level then it has to be about form, management and testing options we already have (difficult when we are fighting for every point )

over the  Mac 2 home games I havent seen another player from another team that I would want to swoop on. Maybe full fans have wider knowledge ? 

9 hours ago, Daz_The_Ram said:

Thanks dude! Haha you'll find quite often that, although not purposefully doing so ... I'm a wee bit 'against the grain' on here.

Not me - I'm for the grain. Mashed for an hour at 66 degrees, sparged, run off, boiled, hops added, chilled, mixed with yeast, fermented, bottled and then drunk.

Not what you meant?

You can make an argument that we don't need to bring anyone it all.

Baird's stepped up at RB and we've got Anya and Hanson who can play there. Not to mention Christie will be looking to return by the end of February. By the time we get a RB in, they could not be needed anymore. Outside the cup, the busy period you need depth for is from mid-December to the end of January.

Unless we literally signed them on January 1st or both Baird and Anya's form drops off a cliff, I think a new RB would be a bit of a waste of budget. I like the idea of bringing in a Wisdom type player who is both a RB and a CB, that would add some variety to our squad and justify the budget on them. Particularly if Shackell leaves, that would mean they'd be first choice back up for at least one position.

I'd have made quite the case for a hold up striker a few weeks ago, but Bent's also stepped up to the plate in the last few games and with his prestige, you'd back him to keep up this role as the main striker at the club. Add to that our club record signing patiently sitting on the bench, what would a third striker really add?

There's even Nick Blackman to come back, someone who supposedly joined Derby to play ST. After the way Bent's taken to the role, would you take away the chance for McClaren to coach him in playing as a lone ST?

There's been talk of Crouch and Jutkiewicz, but could you convince the likes those two to come to Derby when they possibly wouldn't even make the matchday squad? It would take a brave manager to upset the current balance we have up front.

I definitely wouldn't bring in a DM, we've got Thorne to come back and Johnson's playing the best we've seen him at Derby right now. Let those two battle it out and if one of them gets injured, we've got Hanson as back-up. Maybe bring in a quicker CAM to offer a different option to Butterfield and Hughes?

We definitely don't need anymore wingers, Ince is undroppable right now and even if he does drop off, we have 5 other wingers to choose from. Blackman and Weimann can play ST too.

For me, it really depends on if we sell anyone, our squad is so big at the moment that we should really looking within it to solve problems rather than adding to it.

Archived