Derby vs Norwich - matchday thread.

Rev

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Gritters said:

I didn't think we were great today. If we had lost 1 - 0 a lot of people would be moaning about some players. Despite what @NorwichLad thought Norwich were a tough team to beat. They were set up to defend and try to grab a goal. Once we scored I couldn't see Norwich pulling on back their heads dropped. Anyway onwards and upwards. 

If we set up to defend and try and grab a goal we still failed didn't we, seeing as we still conceded and didn't score.

Don't know if you realise but we haven't kept a clean sheet for 16 games, and have lost 6 in a row.

That's a team who have spent 4 of the past 5 seasons in the Premier League, unable to keep a clean sheet in the Championship.

In isolation losing 1-0 away to Derby in your current form and keeping Hughes and Ince quiet isn't a disgrace, but we could only treat this as a bad day at the office if we felt there was any chance of beating Brentford at home next week. 

Derby have got an experienced manager who knew that you just needed to do the simple things right today, and you did, whilst we ran out of ideas again. May as well just let us have the possession if we don't know what to do with it, safe in the knowledge that we were bound to become complacent at the back at some stage. 

McClaren knew what you needed to do and you did it, you don't get extra points for scoring 3 and we don't get any points for dominating possession for 60 minutes. 

Hughes wasn't at his best today, but rewatch the goal and see what he does. In real time I thought he held on to it for too long but what he did was attract 4-5 players towards him and, even though he gets tackled, it gave Johnson the room to get a clean strike. Yeah if it's not a goal he doesn't look too good, but I'll give him kudos for just helping to create it in a tight game.

Also I'm a fully paid up member of the Darren Bent Fan Club now, his movement in and around the box to find two extra yards is sublime at times

Just got back so I'm only basing this on my feelings on what I saw, haven't seen the highlights yet. Ince best winger in the league don't make me laugh. Murphy made a fool out of him a number of times today. Ince is so frustrating in the big games. Baird my motm. The defence were generally solid overall. Johnson had a shaky start but then grew into the game. Hughes and Butterfield both meh but the way they have been playing in recent weeks I'll let them off, although Butterfield was unlucky with his effort and did play some nice lofted balls. Russell worked hard off the ball but his attacking play was anonymous. Bent hassled their backline, should have scored what was pretty much an open goal. Hope this gets the boo boys off Bairds back for the time being, Ince only helped him out when he felt like it so Baird deserves huge credit for doing the defending of 2 men, also didn't know he had such a leap on him.

14 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Ince best winger in the league don't make me laugh. Murphy made a fool out of him a number of times today.

I think Jacob Murphy will be better than Nathan Redmond though, so don't use him as a yardstick. The twins are getting plaudits from all over and linked with all sorts of big teams. 

And Murphy's decision making was actually very poor today from accounts I've heard?

Mark Robins (co-commentator on local radio) was actually complimentary of some of the defensive work / backtracking that Ince did today, despite Ince's reputation as a slacker when it comes to pitching in, and reckons he must be working on that side of his game. 

15 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Just got back so I'm only basing this on my feelings on what I saw, haven't seen the highlights yet. Ince best winger in the league don't make me laugh. Murphy made a fool out of him a number of times today. Ince is so frustrating in the big games. Baird my motm. The defence were generally solid overall. Johnson had a shaky start but then grew into the game. Hughes and Butterfield both meh but the way they have been playing in recent weeks I'll let them off, although Butterfield was unlucky with his effort and did play some nice lofted balls. Russell worked hard off the ball but his attacking play was anonymous. Bent hassled their backline, should have scored what was pretty much an open goal. Hope this gets the boo boys off Bairds back for the time being, Ince only helped him out when he felt like it so Baird deserves huge credit for doing the defending of 2 men, also didn't know he had such a leap on him.

I'm not sure what game you were watching but I thought Ince was excellent once again today, always trying to get on the ball and get things moving, dragged us out of a rut early on and although things didn't always come off he was a big threat to their defence and you could tell how fearful they were of him. Will agree on the rest of the post tho, Baird was brilliant today, and I think it gave Ince the freedom to go forward without fear, Johnsons distribution was woeful first half although he did break up play well, was much improved second half. Will also add that I think bents all round play, especially his touch, was sublime today- he's developed his game well to suit our style of play and I apoligise for thinking he was past it

9 minutes ago, NorwichLad said:

I think Jacob Murphy will be better than Nathan Redmond though, so don't use him as a yardstick. The twins are getting plaudits from all over and linked with all sorts of big teams. 

And Murphy's decision making was actually very poor today from accounts I've heard?

Mark Robins (co-commentator on local radio) was actually complimentary of some of the defensive work / backtracking that Ince did today, despite Ince's reputation as a slacker when it comes to pitching in, and reckons he must be working on that side of his game. 

I actually never heard of Murphy before this game but he attracted my attention. Probably shows how much potential he has that even when he doesn't play his best, he still looks better than a lot of the players on the pitch. Ince's tracking back is usually sound but he only tracked back when he wanted too today for me, which even resulted in McClaren coming down from the stands to tell Ince to track his man. Murphy started on the right at the start but Neil moved him into the other side to target Baird once he saw Ince wasn't tracking back. Thankfully Baird was outstanding today and withstanded most of the pressure. Ince does have ability which is why it frustrates me but I fear he is becoming somewhat of a small team bully and unfortunately the stats back this up. Best wishes for the rest of the season

Archived