Your Biggest Disappointment In Football

G STAR RAM

The original McClaren side never getting promoted. It was a young side and played in such a way which is more suited to the Premier League. I reckon we'd have been the next Southampton or Swansea. 

Pearson. A manager so bad I honestly believe I could have done a better job. **** football, sold fan favourites, tactically inept and a bit of a tool.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

Raheem Sterling, how he keeps getting selected for England is very, very annoying/disappointing. 

And obviously the QPR loss at Wembley... gutting!!!!!

Sterling is a fantastic player with pace, great dribbling and an end product that's improving all the time.

Jesse Lingard on the other hand...

9 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

Sterling is a fantastic player with pace, great dribbling and an end product that's improving all the time.

Jesse Lingard on the other hand...

Got to disagree Leicester Ram, almost every time our attacks break down it's because he either hasn't looked up or has decided not to play a team mate in. 

He infuriates me each time I see him in an England shirt, he is not good enough IMHO. 

1 hour ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

Got to disagree Leicester Ram, almost every time our attacks break down it's because he either hasn't looked up or has decided not to play a team mate in. 

He infuriates me each time I see him in an England shirt, he is not good enough IMHO. 

Fair play, I see why you'd find him frustrating and his decision making is often poor, along with other players like Sturridge.

But who's better?

Oxlade-Chamberlain? Walcott? Zaha? Lingard? Andros Townsend ?

It's not like if he isnt good enough we can go out and get a replacement, he's the best winger we've got. He's young, he's playing under one of the best coaches of this generation and he's having a good season. Why wouldn't he be picked?

Struggling to see how his inclusion in an England squad is so offensive to you that you deem it the most disappointing thing to happen to you in football ever, when you've sat through Derby losing undeservedly at Wembley twice, seen England beaten on penalties a handful of times and Robbie Savage made DCFC captain?

2 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

Fair play, I see why you'd find him frustrating and his decision making is often poor, along with other players like Sturridge.

But who's better?

Oxlade-Chamberlain? Walcott? Zaha? Lingard? Andros Townsend ?

It's not like if he isnt good enough we can go out and get a replacement, he's the best winger we've got. He's young, he's playing under one of the best coaches of this generation and he's having a good season. Why wouldn't he be picked?

Struggling to see how his inclusion in an England squad is so offensive to you that you deem it the most disappointing thing to happen to you in football ever, when you've sat through Derby losing undeservedly at Wembley twice, seen England beaten on penalties a handful of times and Robbie Savage made DCFC captain?

Opinions, that's what it all boils down to.

I would select Andros Townsend before Raheem Sterling all day long. I would even look to Yannik Bolasie or even Mickal Antonio at a push. 

3 hours ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

Have you seen him play for City this season? Watch a few of their games and you'll go 'oh, so that's why he keeps getting picked'.

It has to be the playoff final for me.  i watched it on a big screen in a pub with my Liverpool friend.  The place had just opened and we had it to ourselves.  When the final whistle blew i took it pretty well outwardly but i felt like someone had placed a juicy steak in front of me but snatched it away just before i could stick a fork in it.  My friend however went fully ballistic, shouting obscenities left and right and demanding the shocked barkeeper tell him what the hell Derby thought they were doing owning the game and then throwing it away like that.  Glad he upstaged me, i think i was at risk of crying.

16 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Bar 90, 96 & 98 England at major tournaments...

although, the Waddle penalty, the Gazza slide that didn't connect, and the disallowed Sol Campbell goal in those respective tournaments could easily populate this thread! :( 

30 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

although, the Waddle penalty, the Gazza slide that didn't connect, and the disallowed Sol Campbell goal in those respective tournaments could easily populate this thread! :( 

The tough luck stories you can take, it's the soul-crushing abjectness of the other displays that disappoint.  You had blokes like Gazza, Butcher, Adams, Shearer, Beckham, Neville, Ince, Batty etc. who were proud to wear the shirt & would die for the cause.  Now you've got Stirling, Kane, Henderson & the rest of them fannying about with their hair and looking like they'd rather be sat on a beach somewhere...

There's two that stick out for me.

May 11th, 1991, Ibrox, Rangers v Aberdeen, last game of the season. Winner takes all.

Aberdeen need a draw to win the league, Rangers need the win.

Everything seems to be going in Aberdeens favour. Souness leaves a month prior to go to Liverpool, 4 of their best players are injured or doubtful, and Aberdeen had clawed back a 7 point gap (2 for a win) with 10 games to go and were on an unbelievable run of wins.

The only downside was that we had lost our Dutch international keeper to injury and had a young inexperienced keeper in his place for the game.

I went down without a ticket, we only had 1,500 allocation, but managed to buy one in the away end for £80. Result!!!

The game kicks off in a real poisenous atmosphere, but its the sort of atmosphere that you wish for nowadays. 1 minute in and Gary Stevens swings in a high cross to the back post, our young keeper comes out and gets assaulted in the air by Mark Hatley. Our keeper is down, knocked senseless, and Hatley gets a finger wagging from the ref. 

Then comes the moment when everything could of changed. Peter van de Ven intercepts a back pass, is clean through on goal right in front of us, with only Chris Woods to beat. Three options, either calmly slot it past Woods into the net, blast the bugger past Woods into the net, or skip round Woods slowly roll it into the net and take the adulation from 1,500 fans bouncing about like crazy. 

Peter being a laid back Dutch guy decided to dink the ball about 1mph straight into Woods thankfull gloves. What a chance.....!!!!!

To cut a long and painful story short, just before half time another cross comes in from Stevens and our goalie is stuck on his line, petrified of another hammering, and Hately towers above Mcleish to put them 1 up. Mo Johnston scores another just after half time and its game over. 

Just to rub it in, as the Aberdeen fans are leaving at full time, theres a load of Rangers fans waiting to get into the ground to take our places to witness the Trophy presentation. Awful, awful experience.

The 2nd one is the QPR play off final. I can honestly say that ive never left a ground so stunned as I was that day. I thought it was only a matter of time until we broke through and couldn't see us getting beat. To compound matters we went the wrong way out of Wembley and by the time we got our sense of direction back the vast majority of Derby fans had got away and we were stuck with the QPR fans coming out singing  that effin Zammora song all the way to Wembley  Park. To go from the absoloute wave of excitement and optimisism of the Brighton game the week before to desolation the week after. 

Unfortunately we are still paying for that game now, expectations have risen hence the "support" that comes from the stands is not quite as supportive as it could be.  

11 hours ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

I would select Andros Townsend before Raheem Sterling all day long. 

You sure about that? Townsend been terrible at Palace this season.. 

3 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Blame Mr B Davis for that...  Or if you're Mr B Davis (or @MuespachRam ) blame everybody else...

I didn't expect us to stay up. But plenty of others have come and gone and made a far better fist of it than we seemed to - even when faced with apparently even worse circumstances (eg Hull this season).

56 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

I didn't expect us to stay up. But plenty of others have come and gone and made a far better fist of it than we seemed to - even when faced with apparently even worse circumstances (eg Hull this season).

There's two words that perfectly sum up that whole season for me, Claude & Davis...

Archived