Your Biggest Disappointment In Football

G STAR RAM

17 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

There's two words that perfectly sum up that whole season for me, Claude & Davis...

13 minutes ago, Spanish said:

or eddie effing lewis.  the day I heard the news of the transfer I know we were doomed

The signings of Davis, Lewis...and not forgetting A.Todd, Griffin and Earnshaw in 'preparation' for the Premier League.  We were lucky we got as many points as we did really!  What was Billy thinking. 

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Highgate said:

The signings of Davis, Lewis...and not forgetting A.Todd, Griffin and Earnshaw in 'preparation' for the Premier League.  We were lucky we got as many points as we did really!  What was Billy thinking

surely nothing to do with preparing a football team?

in his revisionist review of history, didn't he state something to the effect that he gave up to 5 price options for each position and on each occasion the Board either went for his cheapest or found someone even cheaper than that!

The Wally With The Brolly.

I'm a big Steve McClaren fan, always have been since his first coaching spell here. Our plummet down the table once he left and Man United's treble showed that he was one of the best coaches in the business. I think international teams require a coach as opposed to a manager, so I was absolutely convinced that Mac was the right man for the job. He was awful. There's no other way to frame it or attempt to put any positive spin on the situation. I'd spent months telling everyone I knew that it was England's time to shine. I basically had to stay in for 6 months until people had forgotten about him.

2 hours ago, Anon said:

The Wally With The Brolly.

I'm a big Steve McClaren fan, always have been since his first coaching spell here. Our plummet down the table once he left and Man United's treble showed that he was one of the best coaches in the business. I think international teams require a coach as opposed to a manager, so I was absolutely convinced that Mac was the right man for the job. He was awful. There's no other way to frame it or attempt to put any positive spin on the situation. I'd spent months telling everyone I knew that it was England's time to shine. I basically had to stay in for 6 months until people had forgotten about him.

Agree with you on the coaching part - England should have a head coach not a manager.

I think Steves downfall was that our "golden generation" didn't really need the overly-matey arm around the shoulder approach. remember the cringy references to "Wazza" etc.....they had no respect for him.

Ironically I think he might do better with the current lot who are a bit younger, more naïve and a bit more fragile. Wazza wouldn't stand for it tho....

1 hour ago, HantsRam said:

Agree with you on the coaching part - England should have a head coach not a manager.

I think Steves downfall was that our "golden generation" didn't really need the overly-matey arm around the shoulder approach. remember the cringy references to "Wazza" etc.....they had no respect for him.

Ironically I think he might do better with the current lot who are a bit younger, more naïve and a bit more fragile. Wazza wouldn't stand for it tho....

His downfall for me was making a big point about dropping becks. I know he was past his best but still better than most.

On 14/11/2016 at 14:16, Highgate said:

The signings of Davis, Lewis...and not forgetting A.Todd, Griffin and Earnshaw in 'preparation' for the Premier League.  We were lucky we got as many points as we did really!  What was Billy thinking. 

Proper shocking, I doubt any of those signings today would be good enough for championship never mind premier league. 

For me, it's got to be Gazza flinging himself at that cross during Euro 96.

It was a brilliant summer, decent music had reclaimed the charts, I'd moved away from home and just met the current Mrs Devil, and to top it all we were playing brilliant football in a tournament we were hosting.

Even now when I watch it back, I think he'll guide it into the net!

I don't know where to start on this topic... As I get older disappointment gets less.. 

If I had to pick one event, one moment in time that went further than one game, it would have to be Man Utd in the cup semi. I was still a time when to cup was at its most magical and I dreamed of Wembley every season. We were good, very good and I was convinced it was our year.. Defeat was impossible.. Even with Charlie out, I just did not contemplate not going to Wembley.. Its a knockout, the whole magical day.. Devastated I was, still not over it.. Still hate Man U with a passion. Never accepted Gordon Hill in a Derby shirt. Never liked going to Hillsboro again, still takes me back every time I go there.. Poxy dump. Mancs everywhere.. scum. 

It marked the end of our golden era, it was all downhill after that. One game ffs killed all my dreams..

Is it it time to move on? I don't think so, not yet :angry:

3 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

You are one weird fella... :)

Change teams... If I was you I would go for Germany :whistle:

Although I have technically changed league teams from York to Derby. I cannot change countries. I am proud of my Austrian heritage and I can never ever change that. Makes me appreciate how much passion posters like DEL have for England because i have the same for a similarly useless collection of footballers but that just come from another country. ;)

Germany? Wash your mouth out son! ?

I guess I am a bit on the eccentric side though.

3 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

I don't know where to start on this topic... As I get older disappointment gets less.. 

If I had to pick one event, one moment in time that went further than one game, it would have to be Man Utd in the cup semi. I was still a time when to cup was at its most magical and I dreamed of Wembley every season. We were good, very good and I was convinced it was our year.. Defeat was impossible.. Even with Charlie out, I just did not contemplate not going to Wembley.. Its a knockout, the whole magical day.. Devastated I was, still not over it.. Still hate Man U with a passion. Never accepted Gordon Hill in a Derby shirt. Never liked going to Hillsboro again, still takes me back every time I go there.. Poxy dump. Mancs everywhere.. scum. 

It marked the end of our golden era, it was all downhill after that. One game ffs killed all my dreams..

Man U fans were complete and utter cvnts that day and I have detested them ever since.

Is it time to move on?

Hell no!

When we sold Tommy Johnson to Villa.

He was my favourite player when I first started following football as a tyke. I didn't understand the concept of players wanting to leave. I felt personally betrayed by him, by the club, by my dad for letting this happen. I cried for hours that evening when I found out. 

But then we bought Igor, and all was forgiven. :D

One or two as a Derby fan for me ... 

The defeat to Leicester in the playoff final was the most hurt I've ever felt watching football. I was a 14 year old lad, my first ever Wembley final ... we battered them, and the nature of their goals was criminal. I can still see Paul Williams inexplicably ducking underneath the ball on the goal line. In a similar vein, the QPR thing still sticks in my craw.

Other than that? When Paul Goddard was sold all of a sudden to Millwall. He and Deano were looking absolutely lethal. We never recovered from the loss of Goddard. I was gutted.

I also remember us getting knocked out of the FA Cup to Port Vale at the BBG c. 1990 ... Rob Hindmarch scored a wonder OG ... and Vale (then in division 4) battered us. I sobbed and sobbed all the way home. It was a realisation that we were actually crap.

As an England fan by the way ... our exit from Italia '90 ... absolutely devastated me ... (I was ten) ... I was convinced we'd win the World Cup. 

1990, clearly not a good year for me then!

Other than that ... being let go by Notts County when I was 16 ... ((sob)) ;-)

On 12 November 2016 at 09:32, eddie said:

Brian Clough leaving - closely followed by Brian Clough not returning when it looked like he would.

What he said.

On 11/16/2016 at 20:56, Angry Ram said:

Took me frigging months to get over that match ,still ++++s me off even to this day.

Archived