Centre Backs... Pearce, Shackell & Keogh.

RamsPolls

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

I wouldn't be disappointed if I never saw Shackell play for us ever again. Whilst clearly talented, I find his effort and performances deceptive.

Keogh did some decent stuff on Saturday, but I had to laugh when I saw him make a mistake and then bollok someone else! Johnson bailed him out a few times too.

Pearce however, was pretty damn good. 

... apart from his heading; He often seemed to head it into dangerous areas where a Leeds player could latch onto it and start an attack. Apart from that very solid, some very impressive blocks, one springs to mind denying a certain goal

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, mumblemumble said:

Yeah, a very poor Leeds side hit the post and the crossbar - very solid

There's a positive slant on them hitting the woodwork though (instead of the net, I mean) - there was enough desperate late pressure on Antonsson for him to take that sort of a shot on around the diving defenders, so maybe they deserve some credit (Johnson and Keogh being two of them) for that.

The crossbar rattling from Bartley was a straight miss though - and as far as I could see from the re-run, it was Keogh who lost his man.

Usually I'd be more interested in how that diamond Ramage is talking about operates in normal play; defending set pieces is a different matter completely and, as I say, I think we got away with one there. And I second all the comments about Keogh and Pearce looking a decent pairing.

25 minutes ago, mumblemumble said:

They hit the bar from a corner with a 6ft 4 Centre back and Hit the post from a nearly top class curling effort. 

Hardly the worlds worst defending.

27 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

... apart from his heading; He often seemed to head it into dangerous areas where a Leeds player could latch onto it and start an attack. Apart from that very solid, some very impressive blocks, one springs to mind denying a certain goal

Agreed, This may just be lack of game time though, at Reading he was one of the best CB's in the league. Shame that he is getting on abit now. 

Still feel Rawson has a big future with us here, Look at Iorfa at Wolves. He came through their academy and is branded one of the best up and coming CB's in this league, From what i've seen of Rawson he can really do well at this level.

Id have pearce over shackell,as hes been solid for us

Hes also got 2 good feet,whereas shacks is very left sided

Calm on the ball too,as that dummy and back heel he sold to their forward,on saturday

7 out of 9 points,pearce has played in all 3 games,no reason to change it

2 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I would like to see a back 3 with Shackell playing the sweeper role with an instruction not to do anything with the ball except sweep up, pass short and that's it.

Push Lowe and Christie slightly further up.

With you other than on the right where I think Anya could fit.

I know Keogh gets slated on here but in a back three I think he would enjoy the freedom to run with the ball.

I also think there are some sides we will struggle against in the air with just Pearce and Keogh.

1 hour ago, mumblemumble said:

If they're very poor, I don't know what you'd call the rest of the league.

Leeds will finish comfortably top half and if Monk isn't sacked when they have a wobbly, they could even finish in the top 6.

We rode our luck on Saturday but let's not pretend that Leeds are poor just to make a point - whatever point it was that you were trying to make.

Shackell is a very good defender but he is not a ball distribution expert and neither are the others, Pearce has done exactly what you should of expected of him ( I think we are more likely to score from a set piece with him if somebody could deliver the ball properly) but when shackell is fully fit and Pearce and Keogh lose form or are injured or suspended then he will be back in and hard to dislodge.

5 hours ago, RamsPolls said:

I was very impressed with the defence on Saturday... as Craig Ramage said on RD after the game, The diamond of Carson - Pearce - Keogh - Johnson looked very solid and impressive.

Pearce had a tough start to his Derby career but seems to be taking his chance with both hands. I am very surprised he didn't even make a league start for the club until 13 months after he signed for us. Would you play him over Shackell when Shackell is fit?

I love Jason Shackell but i'm not sure he has had a very good start to the season, he is with a doubt one of the best in the league but everyone has a expiry date, Maybe Shackell is approaching that time.

Pearce looked solid on Saturday and also impressed me with his distribution from the back. He also has an aerial threat at set pieces with that big forehead :p .

Keogh also looked very impressive apart from that one moment of panic in the first half where he was trying to go round Chris Wood in the RB position and nearly got punished when he was dispossessed. Other than that one moment of madness he was very impressive and Chris Wood was no where to be seen.

The main talking point will be whether Shackell gets put back in the Starting XI. I don't think he will as Alex Pearce has had a great few games, Would you bring Shackell straight back in to the XI?

I was a big fan of Shackell first time around and was delighted when we re-signed him. However, this latest stint has been disappointing. I like the look of Pearce and think he deserves to be given a chance alongside Keogh for now...

4 hours ago, mumblemumble said:

Such arrogance, Leeds are a good side and played some very nice football. They'll be top 10 this season if Cellino doesn't get itchy trigger finger after a couple bad results. You can see Monks ideas there. Can't blame Pearce for them hitting the cross bar, I love Keogh but I'm sure it was his man who ran past him to cannon it onto the bar?? 

9 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Such arrogance, Leeds are a good side and played some very nice football. They'll be top 10 this season if Cellino doesn't get itchy trigger finger after a couple bad results. You can see Monks ideas there. Can't blame Pearce for them hitting the cross bar, I love Keogh but I'm sure it was his man who ran past him to cannon it onto the bar?? 

I agree with you here. I've had another look at the corner and I'm not sure who is supposed to be picking him up. He makes a run from very deep and is helped by the Leeds players shielding his run. Keogh picks up his run but is blocked off by Christie (accidentally) and can't get there in time. I suspect it was just a well worked corner from Leeds.

7 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I would like to see a back 3 with Shackell playing the sweeper role with an instruction not to do anything with the ball except sweep up, pass short and that's it.

Push Lowe and Christie slightly further up.

Bringing in Shackell for whom?

I had my doubts over Pearce but he's done very well I think. I think he's been the standout centre back so far this season. Keogh gives his all and is a good ball player, he will enjoy playing under Mac again I would imagine. Shackell has been solid for us many times over the years, but seems to have struggled since Clement went. All three are good enough at this level. But even if fit and available I wouldn't see Shackell walking straight back in.

1 minute ago, reveldevil said:

Move Keogh out to RB, and we don't have to pick!

I've had enough of Christie, looks no better than the day he arrived.

Whilst I think we might need to seek out a new RB. Moving Keogh out there is not the answer, leave him where he is best in the centre. Also Pearce and Shackell would make for a horrendously slow pairing.

1 minute ago, brady1993 said:

Whilst I think we might need to seek out a new RB. Moving Keogh out there is not the answer, leave him where he is best in the centre. Also Pearce and Shackell would make for a horrendously slow pairing.

Probably right, just thinking they could make a back 3 when defending counters, a la Wisdom when he was here.

I don't dislike Cyrus, but he's had long enough for the penny to drop.

Archived