Centre Backs... Pearce, Shackell & Keogh.

RamsPolls

I was very impressed with the defence on Saturday... as Craig Ramage said on RD after the game, The diamond of Carson - Pearce - Keogh - Johnson looked very solid and impressive.

Pearce had a tough start to his Derby career but seems to be taking his chance with both hands. I am very surprised he didn't even make a league start for the club until 13 months after he signed for us. Would you play him over Shackell when Shackell is fit?

I love Jason Shackell but i'm not sure he has had a very good start to the season, he is with a doubt one of the best in the league but everyone has a expiry date, Maybe Shackell is approaching that time.

Pearce looked solid on Saturday and also impressed me with his distribution from the back. He also has an aerial threat at set pieces with that big forehead :p .

Keogh also looked very impressive apart from that one moment of panic in the first half where he was trying to go round Chris Wood in the RB position and nearly got punished when he was dispossessed. Other than that one moment of madness he was very impressive and Chris Wood was no where to be seen.

The main talking point will be whether Shackell gets put back in the Starting XI. I don't think he will as Alex Pearce has had a great few games, Would you bring Shackell straight back in to the XI?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

I was very impressed with the defence on Saturday... as Craig Ramage said on RD after the game, The diamond of Carson - Pearce - Keogh - Johnson looked very solid and impressive.

Pearce had a tough start to his Derby career but seems to be taking his chance with both hands. I am very surprised he didn't even make a league start for the club until 13 months after he signed for us. Would you play him over Shackell when Shackell is fit?

I love Jason Shackell but i'm not sure he has had a very good start to the season, he is with a doubt one of the best in the league but everyone has a expiry date, Maybe Shackell is approaching that time.

Pearce looked solid on Saturday and also impressed me with his distribution from the back. He also has an aerial threat at set pieces with that big forehead :p .

Keogh also looked very impressive apart from that one moment of panic in the first half where he was trying to go round Chris Wood in the RB position and nearly got punished when he was dispossessed. Other than that one moment of madness he was very impressive and Chris Wood was no where to be seen.

The main talking point will be whether Shackell gets put back in the Starting XI. I don't think he will as Alex Pearce has had a great few games, Would you bring Shackell straight back in to the XI?

Absolutely No.

7 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

It would be nice to know what is actually going on with Shackell, in the absence of solid information you end up with all sorts of rubbish flying around on twitter/forums etc.

Maybe he is genuinely injured?

Most of the rumours are that he had a bust up with Pearson. 

With Pearson gone, I don't see why he wouldn't be back in the match day 18. 

So maybe he does have an injury.

I wouldn't be disappointed if I never saw Shackell play for us ever again. Whilst clearly talented, I find his effort and performances deceptive.

Keogh did some decent stuff on Saturday, but I had to laugh when I saw him make a mistake and then bollok someone else! Johnson bailed him out a few times too.

Pearce however, was pretty damn good. 

Pearce is as good as Shackell at the head it kick it type stuff, but doesn't have pillows for feet, and can pass to someone other than Keogh or Carson.

Seems a bit more professional too - in that he hasn't cracked off at a manager. I like how he hasn't sulked at so little game time too.

Same as Mostyn, wouldn't be too disappointed to not see Shacks return.

The more I read about Pearce the more I think he's in the side on merit and should not be the player making way for Shackell.

I'm one of these old farts that think you shouldn't change a winning side, a if it ain't broke don't fix it merchant you could say, so I'd like to see if Shackell can be as patient and professional as Pearce was when he was being overlooked.

I wouldn't have Shackell back in the team. I still think he's our best defender, but only marginally, and I think that is outweighed by Keogh and Pearce being a better pairing and better team players. I had a problem with us re-signing Shackell in the first place. Not because I thought he was a bad player, but it was literally two weeks after signing Pearce and I didn't understand how we'd fit them both in the team. Pearce's complete inaction last season proved me correct and means we've tied up a decent chunk of our wage budget on a player who will exclusively play reserve team football.

9 minutes ago, EastHertsRam said:

The more I read about Pearce the more I think he's in the side on merit and should not be the player making way for Shackell.

I'm one of these old farts that think you shouldn't change a winning side, a if it ain't broke don't fix it merchant you could say, so I'd like to see if Shackell can be as patient and professional as Pearce was when he was being overlooked.

My thoughts too EHR. I have to confess I don't know a great deal about either player being a new fan although I saw a bit of Shackell back in his Barnsley days and thought him a solid enough CH. Pearce though hasn't done a lot wrong and is still a young lad (Shackell in his 30's now I think) so although I wouldn't have an issue if Shackell came in, Pearce has done well and the side are doing ok so i'd keep him in there.

2 hours ago, RamsPolls said:

Yeah, a very poor Leeds side hit the post and the crossbar - very solid

2 minutes ago, mumblemumble said:

Yeah, a very poor Leeds side hit the post and the crossbar - very solid

We put a lot of pressure on ourselves and still came out with a clean sheet. We rode our luck at the back but so did they. 

Archived