Centre Backs... Pearce, Shackell & Keogh.

RamsPolls

Just now, reveldevil said:

Probably right, just thinking they could make a back 3 when defending counters, a la Wisdom when he was here.

I don't dislike Cyrus, but he's had long enough for the penny to drop.

Maybe you're right but I think we need to stick with him till we can bring in an improvement.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Move Keogh out to RB, and we don't have to pick!

I've had enough of Christie, looks no better than the day he arrived.

The infuriating thing with Christie is he just doesn't learn. It's not like he can't become the player we're asking him to be. He does it sometimes. He'll have little runs where he's THAT player. 

Then we get runs of the donkey that has two left feet and is possibly the thickest player we've had in 5 years. 

How no coach has grabbed him by the neck and screamed "Go with your first instinct!!!!" a million times is beyond me. 

He's bizarre. If he doesn't lock into that Cyrus that's instinctive then he'll have a disappointing career. Because he might never be more than an adequate defender but there's real potential to counter balance that with being a Premier League level attacking RB. 

Saturday was stupid. Dithering, greedy, two left feet. Soon he'll have a game where he links in with Hughes, Vydra, Ince and between them they just have opponents left flank in a knots. Then back to being greedy and awkward.

12 minutes ago, Alpha said:

The infuriating thing with Christie is he just doesn't learn. It's not like he can't become the player we're asking him to be. He does it sometimes. He'll have little runs where he's THAT player. 

Then we get runs of the donkey that has two left feet and is possibly the thickest player we've had in 5 years. 

How no coach has grabbed him by the neck and screamed "Go with your first instinct!!!!" a million times is beyond me. 

He's bizarre. If he doesn't lock into that Cyrus that's instinctive then he'll have a disappointing career. Because he might never be more than an adequate defender but there's real potential to counter balance that with being a Premier League level attacking RB. 

Saturday was stupid. Dithering, greedy, two left feet. Soon he'll have a game where he links in with Hughes, Vydra, Ince and between them they just have opponents left flank in a knots. Then back to being greedy and awkward.

I remember seeing him at Notts County away in pre-season when he 1st signed, and came away thinking, if he keeps this up, it'll be Andre Who?

He's since gone on to play the same game god knows how many times, must be 80 at least.

You can see its in there, but there's little evidence he can do it on a consistent basis.

3 hours ago, RamsPolls said:

Agreed, This may just be lack of game time though, at Reading he was one of the best CB's in the league. Shame that he is getting on abit now. 

Still feel Rawson has a big future with us here, Look at Iorfa at Wolves. He came through their academy and is branded one of the best up and coming CB's in this league, From what i've seen of Rawson he can really do well at this level.

Iorfa, while talented, is still a tad naive, demonstrated by him giving away the penalty on Saturday but I agree with your point.

Experience is one of a defenders best traits and is most influential on their positioning and therefore knowing how to read a game, Shackell does this excellently, hence why he'd still be my first choice CB.

Rawson needs a shot but not right now, not when we've already had the odds stacked against us due to a poor start. He may well be needed at some point and when that time comes it is up to him to make an impression, it's just not the time to start dropping experienced defenders simply to ''bleed him in''

10 hours ago, Animal is a Ram said:

A 'very poor' Leeds side that had won 5 of the last 6..

You honestly think they played well?

Certainly not the Leeds that have won 5 of the last 6, they were poor!

10 hours ago, RamsPolls said:

They hit the bar from a corner with a 6ft 4 Centre back and Hit the post from a nearly top class curling effort. 

Hardly the worlds worst defending.

Yeah and both occasions they had a spare man due to poor defending.

9 hours ago, Duracell said:

If they're very poor, I don't know what you'd call the rest of the league.

Leeds will finish comfortably top half and if Monk isn't sacked when they have a wobbly, they could even finish in the top 6.

We rode our luck on Saturday but let's not pretend that Leeds are poor just to make a point - whatever point it was that you were trying to make.

Exactly they won 5 of the last 6, but didn't turn up at Derby. Hence their performance was poor.

Top 6, comfortably. I'll remember that.

Shackell is a good defender who can't play, Pearce is so much better on the ball that it makes sense to keep him in.

At Shacks age and wage, if we can find someone to take him, I'd let him go. Rawson's ready as cover.

6 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

Such arrogance, Leeds are a good side and played some very nice football. They'll be top 10 this season if Cellino doesn't get itchy trigger finger after a couple bad results. You can see Monks ideas there. Can't blame Pearce for them hitting the cross bar, I love Keogh but I'm sure it was his man who ran past him to cannon it onto the bar?? 

What's arrogant about that??

Clearly weren't watching the game, Keoghs man for the header onto the bar, Johnsons man for the shot onto the post.

3 hours ago, mumblemumble said:

Exactly they won 5 of the last 6, but didn't turn up at Derby. Hence their performance was poor.

Top 6, comfortably. I'll remember that.

Why was it "them not turning up" and not "Derby playing well"

This is what infuriated me last time under Mac. Wins weren't winnier enough. We played better than we have been doing and we won. Why is that not enough? 

And Duracell (who you quoted) didn't say top 6 comfortably in his post

6 hours ago, mumblemumble said:

What's arrogant about that??

Clearly weren't watching the game, Keoghs man for the header onto the bar, Johnsons man for the shot onto the post.

The fact that you're calling them a poor side/suggesting that was a poor performance. They arguably played nicer football than Derby throughout. They're a good side this year and a win against them considering the start we've had is most certainly a good result. The fact we were able to hold on makes it a good performance as it's something we haven't been able to do enough this season. Be interesting to see how many points we've lost from winning positions.

so neither chance was Pearce's fault? Keogh was blocked out by a well worked corner and even Thorne allowed his man past occasionally but the fact is that goal would have been superb and that's what it would have taken to draw with us... A. Superb effort. 

3 hours ago, Alpha said:

Why was it "them not turning up" and not "Derby playing well"

This is what infuriated me last time under Mac. Wins weren't winnier enough. We played better than we have been doing and we won. Why is that not enough? 

And Duracell (who you quoted) didn't say top 6 comfortably in his post

Winnier enough!!Fantastic.

I'm going to try and use that today.We've certainly been a lot less winnier in recent months than on Saturday.

12 hours ago, reveldevil said:

Probably right, just thinking they could make a back 3 when defending counters, a la Wisdom when he was here.

I don't dislike Cyrus, but he's had long enough for the penny to drop.

But it does drop in spells, we've seen him do well. Don't think it's fair to say he's looked the same since he's arrived because he's still had more good games than bad for me. 

45 minutes ago, Tombo said:

But it does drop in spells, we've seen him do well. Don't think it's fair to say he's looked the same since he's arrived because he's still had more good games than bad for me. 

Christie has his best games against big team... it's weird, he won't show up for the smaller clubs like Blackburn and co but when playing Newcastle or Villa I felt he had a good game.

14 hours ago, Duracell said:

Double-check you've read the post before showing contempt. I said comfortably top half.

Twisting things to suit your view seems to be a running theme here.

Contempt. Behave.

Pearce was very good tonight, star man performance, I really like his attitude, and he always gives his all, and he is getting better with the more games he plays. Always goes round the ground at full time clapping all corners of the stadium, I wish some other players shared his attitude.

Archived