Centre Backs... Pearce, Shackell & Keogh.

RamsPolls

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was always comfortable with Shacks because his positioning is so good. I'd happily put up with his lack of adventure because he is a kind of Mr Reliable. But Pearce is a revalation, has everything shacks has got but plays forward passes when he can and displays much more vision in detecting possible outlets. Add in the fact that he is a leader who commands respect and it's clear we have a cracking player. Best thing to come out of Pearson is that Alex got to break into the side. I am delighted. 

1 minute ago, jono said:

I was always comfortable with Shacks because his positioning is so good. I'd happily put up with his lack of adventure because he is a kind of Mr Reliable. But Pearce is a revalation, has everything shacks has got but plays forward passes when he can and displays much more vision in detecting possible outlets. Add in the fact that he is a leader who commands respect and it's clear we have a cracking player. Best thing to come out of Pearson is that Alex got to break into the side. I am delighted. 

Yes. If that's his normal game, then its pretty amazing that he's been overlooked for so long. 

Just now, Ninos said:

Yes. If that's his normal game, then its pretty amazing that he's been overlooked for so long. 

I reckon he has had 3 games on the trot at MOTM or there abouts. He was a clement signing wasn't he ? Yet PC hardly ever played him. Strange 

3 minutes ago, jono said:

I reckon he has had 3 games on the trot at MOTM or there abouts. He was a clement signing wasn't he ? Yet PC hardly ever played him. Strange 

Without checking I think he came in either right before pc arrived or right after but then we got shackell and he was left out pretty much permanently. It's tempting to make him Captain and he may as well be with how he leads. You can hear him barking orders from the stands. All of these managers we have had seem to neglect players, take them out of good form and into bad form, chop and change, never know who their best 11 are, and not create any settled side.  It's staggering. 

9 hours ago, Ninos said:

Without checking I think he came in either right before pc arrived or right after but then we got shackell and he was left out pretty much permanently. It's tempting to make him Captain and he may as well be with how he leads. You can hear him barking orders from the stands. All of these managers we have had seem to neglect players, take them out of good form and into bad form, chop and change, never know who their best 11 are, and not create any settled side.  It's staggering. 

I suspect we signed Pearce after asking about Shackell and being pushed back. Something changed and we ended up with Shackell which meant Pearce ended up purely as cover. If Pearce continues in this vein of form, it's hard to see Shackell getting much game time at all once he's fit.....

40 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

I suspect we signed Pearce after asking about Shackell and being pushed back. Something changed and we ended up with Shackell which meant Pearce ended up purely as cover. If Pearce continues in this vein of form, it's hard to see Shackell getting much game time at all once he's fit.....

Interestingly, in the pre-match interview on rams player he and Colin Gibson both say he was a McClaren signing, but he signed shortly before Mac left and so he hadn't ever played under the manager that signed him before now.

Now from our perspective, that's not strictly true. Considering McClaren left in May and Pearce officially signed on 8 June when his Reading contract expired. So he was apparently a McClaren target and the deal to bring him in had been in place for a while, before signing Shackell was even an idea.

2 minutes ago, Tombo said:

Interestingly, in the pre-match interview on rams player he and Colin Gibson both say he was a McClaren signing, but he signed shortly before Mac left and so he hadn't ever played under the manager that signed him before now.

Now from our perspective, that's not strictly true. Considering McClaren left in May and Pearce officially signed on 8 June when his Reading contract expired. So he was apparently a McClaren target and the deal to bring him in had been in place for a while, before signing Shackell was even an idea.

He could have signed a pre-contract agreement.

Archived