The criticism we have got for re-appointing McClaren

Sexydadbod

Is it me or has it been over the top? A lot of people in the media have criticised us and Mel Morris for appointing McClaren who is widely seen to be past it, a few examples include Alan Shearer and Jamie Carragher in his article for the daily mail. Carragher particularly criticised us for not appointing Ryan Giggs and almost blames people like McClaren for blocking the pathways for young managers like Giggs. It's easier said than done when it isn't your club, I guarantee that at least 90% of Derby fans wouldn't want Giggs here  Carra because he hasn't done anything in a managerial sense to earn it. I watched him as a pundit during the England games and he has such a boring voice who probably couldn't motivate a goldfish. We went down that route with Clement and it wasn't particularly a success, at least we know what we will get with McClaren.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does seem to have received a lot of negative press, hardly surprising because on the face of it it's a completely ludicrous appointment. However once you start to analyse it a bit more, it could be exactly what we need, a great coach to get the best out of the talent we've brought in over the last year and get them playing as a team, which is arguably more important right now then any sort of tactical genius imo

The world outside has such a dismissive attitude to Derby County it baffles me. 

I'm not sure about bringing McClaren back, but the blowback has been completely over the top. I think it has as much to do with Mel's Derby way of doing things as it does "he'll bring us success"

As for Giggs - why the hell should he get a top job just because he's Giggs??? Swansea looked at him but had a better option. Man U clearly are not going to give him the job unless he proves it somewhere. If Giggs wants a career as a manager, he's going to have to take a small job and makes a success of it then get a better job.

We've tried the young aspiring head coach route. We have tried the grizzled no-nonsense veteran manager route.

We're where we are because these routes haven't worked.

That said, we and mac must be wise enough to make sure that he is surrounded by people who compensate for the things that he doesn't do well.

As for blocking talents such as Giggs,  that's completely unproven. Plenty of very good players who made terrible managers. ......****cough****Colin todd ******cough*****

15 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Is it me or has it been over the top? A lot of people in the media have criticised us and Mel Morris for appointing McClaren who is widely seen to be past it, a few examples include Alan Shearer and Jamie Carragher in his article for the daily mail. Carragher particularly criticised us for not appointing Ryan Giggs and almost blames people like McClaren for blocking the pathways for young managers like Giggs. It's easier said than done when it isn't your club, I guarantee that at least 90% of Derby fans wouldn't want Giggs here  Carra because he hasn't done anything in a managerial sense to earn it. I watched him as a pundit during the England games and he has such a boring voice who probably couldn't motivate a goldfish. We went down that route with Clement and it wasn't particularly a success, at least we know what we will get with McClaren.

Not really because from the outside we've re - picked a guy who failed to get us promoted twice with a good squad, failed at wembley with an extra man, who botched up England botched up Newcastle. They're not living in our shoes having to watch Clement and Pearson football. It's fair to criticise but who cares if we play well and win. If we don't there will be a media feeding frenzy on him and us.

and I totally agree on the pundit stuff - Giggs don't seem too football savvy on there in terms of analysis either.

14 minutes ago, McLovin said:

What's really getting on my nerves is how shallow these negative articles are, with very little analysis of the situation. They all essentially boil down to making 5 points:

1)Mac was sacked by Derby before

2)Mac was sacked by Newcastle

3)Need more young Managers

4)Ryan giggs is a young manager

5) Mac = bad, Giggs = good, Derby = joke

There is incredibly little in these article to back up those points. Little to no discussion about why Mac was sacked or why it wouldn't be a good idea to rehire. Little to no discussion about why we need young managers coming through.Little to no discussion about why Ryan Giggs would have been a good fit for Derby or why he is a good coach. It's just garbage journalism.

You get criticised whatever you do in football these days, always loads of laughing hyenas on Twitter and Facebook with no lives ready to post up. Most of these muppets follow sides that have never even won anything so who ******* cares?

As for Giggs, what experience does he have to show he can any of these jobs? He should go prove himself first, you don't just walk in to big jobs in life with no experience.

Wouldn't surprise me if Giggs was gett No his media chums to put out these articles in the hope that some gullible owner will give him a job knowing that the media will then be on their side.

Carra is pretty on the money usually so I can't see why else he'd be making daft points.

3 minutes ago, Ninos said:

And why is Giggs entitled to a premier league or championship job? Same thing with Neville and a top la liga side and look how that panned out. They need to go manage a lower level side first.

Hey, he made cups of tea for Van Gaal so he must have all of his ability by proxy. Come on now.

Archived