Mr Shackell

Derbyram1

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Derbyram1 said:

Out of the BCFC match, injured according to latest news.

who is our central defensive back up if either Keogh or Pearce get injured??

Central defensive cover - Baird ? Rawson ? Not sure of the current status of these players though.

Shackell is our best defender in my opinion. I think in a few weeks he'll be back in the side. Pearce was out of position for Ipswich's goal, although it hard to blame him after the keeping howler. Overall he had a good game without any real pressure.

Don't see why it's bullshit, but hey ho. Players do get injured in training you know. 

Surely Baird is good enough to play CB anymore, would probably opt for Rawson but for a team with our ambition the lack of decent defensive cover is a worry especially now there is no loan window.

Lots of games coming up in December, hope we don't come to regret selling Bucko/Warnock/Albentosa/(not Shotton)

3 minutes ago, RFK said:

Under-committed is an interesting one. Without wanting to argument with you all over, do you have anything to add to that?

yeah, I have said this from his first spell at the club. The bloke is excellent and knowing where to stand to block a shot, but in terms of effort and bravery, unless the ball is within 12inches, he's not committed to winning it.

4 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

yeah, I have said this from his first spell at the club. The bloke is excellent and knowing where to stand to block a shot, but in terms of effort and bravery, unless the ball is within 12inches, he's not committed to winning it.

Against Newcastle he wasn't even within 12 feet of the ball, never mind 12 inches.

And I agree, generally his positioning and heading are excellent but just not looked himself this season.....I guess that could be said for half the team though.

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

wouldn't be too fussed if he never played again. Vastly over-rated and under-committed to the cause. I'd rather have Pearce play.

I feel the same - don't know why he is so loved. He is a pretty good Championship defender, but his attitude doesn't seem great to me - arguing with managers, etc and he can't pass for toffee - slows things down too much for me as well. It probably doesn't help that he is probably on mega wages (for the Championship anyway). I would take Bucko any day - him and Keogh formed an exellent partnership, but in his absence I will take Pearce instead.

1 hour ago, europia said:

Central defensive cover - Baird ? Rawson ? Not sure of the current status of these players though.

I genuinely forgot that we still had Baird. I would prefer Rawson though.

Rawson for me if Pearce or Keogh gets an injury. Cover is promising but physically not quite there yet whereas Rawson is fine and has Championship experience. 

I am pleased that Shackell's injury gives Pearce another chance. He played well on Tuesday and his interview afterwards was articulate and considered. Can't have been easy coming here as a team captain and having to wait 400 + days to make a league start.

A little rest could also help Shackell as he seems to be the current target for the boo boys! Maybe when he's missed a few matches some fans will remember what he does so well for us - and we seemingly take for granted.

1 hour ago, RFK said:

Under-committed is an interesting one. Without wanting to argument with you all over, do you have anything to add to that?

The first Hull goal in the first leg of the playoffs is the classic example of what he does/doesn't do... Totally 50/50 if not 60/40 in his favour but he didn't really want to commit to the challenge... Their forward did... Won the ball and scored...

And before anyone jumps in with "that's just one occasion" I reiterate that is just pretty much the perfect example of him doing it... Like a text-book Shackell moment...

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

YEP

I like him as a player... He's tidy and does his job... Will fling himself in front of a shot when he can and think he's not afraid to take a ball for the team...

However he's NEVER going to be a player who will give everything for 50/50 balls and he's never going to cover for anyone else around him...

1 hour ago, Bridgford Ram said:

I wish Shackell's performances were the biggest problem at the club.

I've seen this sentance in quite a few threads now for various players and it strikes me that this probably is the problem? Not an individual under-performing, almost a team full. 

Whether that's down to struggling with the formation, tactics, confidence etc who knows but half our first XI are struggling to get the basics right at the moment and that is unacceptable for the standard we're at. 

37 minutes ago, angieram said:

Rawson for me if Pearce or Keogh gets an injury. Cover is promising but physically not quite there yet whereas Rawson is fine and has Championship experience. 

I am pleased that Shackell's injury gives Pearce another chance. He played well on Tuesday and his interview afterwards was articulate and considered. Can't have been easy coming here as a team captain and having to wait 400 + days to make a league start.

A little rest could also help Shackell as he seems to be the current target for the boo boys! Maybe when he's missed a few matches some fans will remember what he does so well for us - and we seemingly take for granted.

Or perhaps with Shackell out of the team everyone will be able to see just how much he's been holding us back.

Remember Shackell came here from a side which then went up to the Prem.

He can be forgiven for feeling a bit bitter, especially when we got so close last year. I think he looks a bit sulky like one of two others. He strikes me as being a bit of a flat track bully. Okay when he's bigger than his opponent but not so tough when someone has a go back. He does however have good positional sense and is often able to block crosses.

He might need a rest to find his desire - or he might sulk. It's up to him.

Archived