Mr Shackell

Derbyram1

8 hours ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Shackell is our best defender in my opinion. I think in a few weeks he'll be back in the side. Pearce was out of position for Ipswich's goal, although it hard to blame him after the keeping howler. Overall he had a good game without any real pressure.

Don't see why it's bullshit, but hey ho. Players do get injured in training you know. 

I agree. He is a very good defender. The duties of of a defender, he does very well. He's just not good on the ball. Does that matter? I don't think so. If I was him I would be saying to my midfielders I do my duties well, why am I expected to then not just chip in but act like a midfielder. When we are playing well, Shackell is that good that you don't even notice him. It's the poor movement and positioning from people further up the pitch that makes Shackell look bad. Time and again I watch a team attack us and think how well drilled they are. Look at how fluidly they have just moved the ball down the pitch. Everyone seems to know exactly where they should be and when. 

But it's really not that big of an ask, not of Shackell but of the coaches and manager to improve him on the ball. It really isn't. These are professional footballers and they are professional coaches. You should be able to improve a weakness like this in weeks. What's the point of the big data involved in football now, if you can't even bloody use it to help someone to pass the ball better. 

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, IronRam 70.3 said:

I'll not blab as I'm unsure of the relationship of the pair currently. Could make it awkward!! Footballers can be a bit bitchy in my limited exposure!!

Anyhooo. Ipswich were the least ambitious team I've seen in ages at the Ipro and they managed a win.

Unbelievable Jeff

Coyr.

It was what you could argue to be a 'classic away performance'.

I think we had about 13 of them under Billy Davies.

Anyone want to go back to those days and that manager?

I'm sure that some of our more hysterical idiot fans would.

A bit spooky if I recall when we got him back from Burnley the Clarets guy came on here and said that at Burnley he was great at defending but frustrated with his cross field distribution singling out that left to right long ball he always plays as a flaw in his game. amazing. But that he was a good captain - and that he was happy to let keane get a run. Maybe this will be rawsons blossoming.

12 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

I will never ever ever ever ever accept that it was Wassall that caused that. In footballing terms, we could've been able to have a man sent off at 3 goals up and still see the game out.

Wassall was the victim here in my opinion, perhaps in the same way Pearson is a victim now. Players switch off and go through the motions, and when I single out the likes of Shackell and Keogh, it's cos their mistakes cost points more easily than say Johnny Russell or Tom Ince. (There's a difference between costing points and stopping us getting points).

Managers make substitutions all the time, there's no excuse for the 10 men that were already on the pitch to let their guard down and capitulate, and it's certainly not Wassall's fault and never was.

It's becoming an interesting thread this on, there's a lot I agree with above and also interesting comment saying shacks rant at Rotherham is at odds with the idea he can be under committed ,,, for me shacks response to wass was him looking for someone to blame and that's an issue that I feel may run through too many of the crop of players Pearson took over , there's no doubt that wass perhaps started the ball rolling with the not so clever substitution but mostyn is right in that it in no way absolves those 11 players out there and perhaps when looked at cold and in hindsight gives an insight into some of our players reaction and response to their managers ( whoever that be ) decisions if they don't agree with it ? If we had gone down to ten men I believe their response to giving that first goal back would have been very different and think we would have seen the game out,, for me what I think is the biggest problem Pearson is experiencing is that he is giving players roles within our team and he wants them to take resposability for those roles in the team and perhaps some of our players don't like being forced to take responsibility for their jobs in the team rather than being able to just throw their hands in the air, look round and look for others to blame ,, ala Martin in terms of body language ,, sulking and blaming ,,, I see people saying that it's no good over emphasising work rate but I don't think it's as simple as that ,I think Pearson wants every player knowing his role in the team ,being disciplined and taking responsibility for doing their job in the team and I don't think we have had that for a long time , it deosnt show up so much when we are playing ok and things are running for us but it glares out when we get in great position and the pressure comes on or things are not going for us in any games especially big games ,, just my twopence worth but I like what Pearson is trying to Instill in our team ,,mots the basics ,must haves that are the bedrock of any sucessfull team

9 hours ago, Ninos said:

Yes it is. The last statement isn't true. Like most others, I was horrified at the change right as it happened. Yes Christie and shacks and even Keogh fluffed but if we had an extra defender and Thorne in there there's no chance in hell we lose 2 points. Then to boot, Wassall has the nerve to talk about the players not managing the game ! Shackell was livid at the changes - they made little sense. He was blaming the players when Owen Bradley questioned the necessity of the changes. Wassall justified removing Thorne to protect him if I recall but he sure didn't protect him in an utterly meaningless game where he was flying into tackles pre hull - while Hull rested theirs. Double broken leg he misses the playoffs and we still don't got him. The point here is that DW was tactically inept. 

Against interesting we seem to need an extra defender to shore up the back four , we need an extra man in midfield because a two man midfield can't cut it ,, we either need to get an exemption to play 12 players or perhaps as I said earlier look at whether players are doing their jobs properly and taking full responsibility for their roles in the team no matter what formation we start with or change to in the course of games with substitutions for whatever reason ,,, note to players ,,, get on and do the fxxxxxng job and stop looking for excuses if we line up not exactly how you want or make changes during the game that are not to your liking

5 hours ago, Ninos said:

A bit spooky if I recall when we got him back from Burnley the Clarets guy came on here and said that at Burnley he was great at defending but frustrated with his cross field distribution singling out that left to right long ball he always plays as a flaw in his game. amazing. But that he was a good captain - and that he was happy to let keane get a run. Maybe this will be rawsons blossoming.

Yes I would think that a player at this level needs to have better distribution. Although a solid defender, JS lacks  vision and confidence in passing. Doubt it's going to be improved at this stage in his career.

50 minutes ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

Shackell will be back in the team very soon and he's way better than Pearce... 

He is better, he just needs to play better.

My dad used to say "it's no good being the best player in the team when you're on your own in the back garden, you have to do it on the pitch!", this applies to Shackell, and Ince. 

25 minutes ago, Grantona said:

Just 12 months ago everyone was doing cartwheels when Shackell was prised away from Burnley against the "Ginger Dalek's" wishes. 

Supposed to be the final piece in last season's promotion jigsaw.:(

Were they? I consider myself part of "everyone" and I didn't want him anywhere near Derby. 

I banged on about it last season - but he is no better than Bucko. Like many of our signings last summer he was just different to what we already have. 

Truth be told - for a team that wanted to pass from the back and sat deep we needed a centre-half that was a class above Shackell and Bucko. 

28 minutes ago, Ninos said:

The one thing everyone is overlooking is the almost non existent threat Keogh and Shackell pose on our corner kicks - and we have a lot of them. Bucko was much more dangerous on those, and Pearce or Rawson will both be better. 

Great point Ninos, can't remember getting excited about us getting a corner.

I remember having endless corners at Wembley, a decent attacking central defender and things may have turned out differently.

Archived