Mr Shackell

Derbyram1

43 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

The first Hull goal in the first leg of the playoffs is the classic example of what he does/doesn't do... Totally 50/50 if not 60/40 in his favour but he didn't really want to commit to the challenge... Their forward did... Won the ball and scored...

And before anyone jumps in with "that's just one occasion" I reiterate that is just pretty much the perfect example of him doing it... Like a text-book Shackell moment...

YEP

I like him as a player... He's tidy and does his job... Will fling himself in front of a shot when he can and think he's not afraid to take a ball for the team...

However he's NEVER going to be a player who will give everything for 50/50 balls and he's never going to cover for anyone else around him...

I disagree. I think he's quite dedicated. And can give many examples. The problem is his complete lack of ability to distribute effectively and his total ineffectiveness on OUR set pieces. He was dropped for a reason 1 because you could see NP going totally tonto with those long passes to no one. 

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Remember Shackell came here from a side which then went up to the Prem.

He can be forgiven for feeling a bit bitter, especially when we got so close last year. I think he looks a bit sulky like one of two others. He strikes me as being a bit of a flat track bully. Okay when he's bigger than his opponent but not so tough when someone has a go back. He does however have good positional sense and is often able to block crosses.

He might need a rest to find his desire - or he might sulk. It's up to him.

Truth here. I think he expected (as did we) that he would be made captain and lead Clements team but the dodo made Baird captain. I think that was a bit of a slap in the face then wassall comes in and it's Keezy. Make him the boss he thrives.

2 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

wouldn't be too fussed if he never played again. Vastly over-rated and under-committed to the cause. I'd rather have Pearce play.

It's going to be a long time before I ever bring myself to forgve his petulence at Rotherham.

I quite like Shackell overall, a good Championship defender, he has his faults as do most footballers barring a select few. 

There are sadly much larger issues facing the team on the pitch currently, much bigger fish to fry, so I'll refrain from calling him out right now...

Bit harsh. 

There's new born babies that pass better than him and that's a pretty big issue but I think he's a really good defender. 

People had a paddy when he gave Wassall some grief but in the next breath say he doesn't care?? How's that work? 

And the Rotherham thing was nothing anyway. Just tempers. He apologised. 

You people never been there? ******!!

9 minutes ago, RFK said:

At which one? 

At Shackell letting Leon Best score twice in the last 5 minutes. To be fair, it was a dreadfully unprofessional performance by the player concerned, compounded by his foul-mouthed meltdown at the head coach as he sought to deflect responsibility.

Shackell is a bit of an enigma to me. As defenders go and as some point out decent blocker, not so bad in the air, ask him to pass a ball more than 15 feet forward he's lost. Pearce did seem to move the ball to the wing quicker but I'll be on tenterhooks when someone fast comes up against him, does that mean Keogh or nearest full back adjusts his game to cover? Same scenario with both and I don't think Rawson any better in that respect.

Another in the Shackell not the priority, though pleased to see Pearce get a chance, he spoke well too after the game, which made me feel he might have more presence on the pitch than Shackell, until as Jaguar said Pearce makes a mistake.

58 minutes ago, JaguarRam said:

So just to confirm...

Shackell is bad and Pearce good.. Until Pearce makes a mistake and then Pearce bad and Shackell good?

Pretty much, yes.

1 hour ago, JaguarRam said:

So just to confirm...

Shackell is bad and Pearce good.. Until Pearce makes a mistake and then Pearce bad and Shackell good?

it's not about mistakes, EVERY player makes mistakes. Mark Wright made loads and I loved him. It's about (perceived) attitude. It's about commitment. It's about showing a level of respect to your manager, to your coaches, to your team-mates, to the fans that ultimately pay your wages. I have no sense of entitlement in regards to results or even level of skill and entertainment, but I do lose love for people I think aren't giving it more than a token effort and going through the motions.

2 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

I will never ever ever ever ever accept that it was Wassall that caused that. In footballing terms, we could've been able to have a man sent off at 3 goals up and still see the game out.

Wassall was the victim here in my opinion, perhaps in the same way Pearson is a victim now. Players switch off and go through the motions, and when I single out the likes of Shackell and Keogh, it's cos their mistakes cost points more easily than say Johnny Russell or Tom Ince. (There's a difference between costing points and stopping us getting points).

Managers make substitutions all the time, there's no excuse for the 10 men that were already on the pitch to let their guard down and capitulate, and it's certainly not Wassall's fault and never was.

No you're wrong. It was extremely arrogant to go more attacking with such a big lead. There are intelligent ways to preserve leads and at the moment he made those subs we were all scratching our heads. Even you. NP has much to do to convince us hes a winner but at Preston he preserved the win by adding a centre half. Wassall deserved what he got. 

2 minutes ago, Ninos said:

No you're wrong. It was extremely arrogant to go more attacking with such a big lead. There are intelligent ways to preserve leads and at the moment he made those subs we were all scratching our heads. Even you. NP has much to do to convince us hes a winner but at Preston he preserved the win by adding a centre half. Wassall deserved what he got. 

you're not qualified to tell me I am wrong. Chris Martin has been top scorer for Derby twice in since you're educated opinion came to light.

Any football team should be able to defend a 3 goal lead with 10 mins to go.

Archived