Mr Shackell

Derbyram1

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, eddie said:

Three defensive errors.

Who are you accusing of having 'simple minds'?

Patsy Kensit definitely. Wasn't Chrissy Hynde having a dabble too? If l hear anything more Eddie l will update you.

As for Shackell l would say he is a pretty decent defender personally. Good positional sense. More than acceptable for the Championship. Of course he can't pass adeptly, but who can at the club presently?  

30 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

you're not qualified to tell me I am wrong. Chris Martin has been top scorer for Derby twice in since you're educated opinion came to light.

Any football team should be able to defend a 3 goal lead with 10 mins to go.

Well only a moronic coach goes more attacking with a 3 goal lead with 10 mins to go away from home. Just common sense. Blaming the players was just pathetic 

4 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Well only a moronic coach goes more attacking with a 3 goal lead with 10 mins to go away from home. Just common sense. Blaming the players was just pathetic 

he didn't go more attacking. He put an attacker ON the pitch and shuffled the rest around. Blackman needed that game and goal, but his team-mates let him down, and he'll probably never succeed at Derby now.

3 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

he didn't go more attacking. He put an attacker ON the pitch and shuffled the rest around. Blackman needed that game and goal, but his team-mates let him down, and he'll probably never succeed at Derby now.

Thorne and Martin came off and Blackman and bent went on - that's not more attacking ? It's WAY more attacking. Get real. This is one of the worst arguments I've read on here and you're simply replaying Wassalls pathetic excuse at the time. The best 80 mins we had played all season, a 3-0 lead, and you withdraw the lynchpin of the team - Thorne for a forward. Come on.

5 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Thorne and Martin came off and Blackman and bent went on - that's not more attacking ? It's WAY more attacking. Get real. This is one of the worst arguments I've read on here and you're simply replaying Wassalls pathetic excuse at the time. The best 80 mins we had played all season, a 3-0 lead, and you withdraw the lynchpin of the team - Thorne for a forward. Come on.

what's pathetic is thinking that a 4-4-2 shouldn't still be able to defend a 3 goal lead. Taking Thorne and Martin off shouldn't mean Shackell and co forgets how to defend. If you lose a hubcap on your car, it doesn't mean the wheels stop turning. AS I said before and still say, HAD Thorne been given a red card, and we gone down to 10 men, we should still have held on to 3 points.

8 minutes ago, Ninos said:

More attacking?

You have a couple of Derby players who are so down on form that basically Wassall daren't play them from the start - the crowd are on their back every part of the way. So with 15 minutes to go and the side leading 3-0, he takes off Martin and Thorne and brings on Bent and Blackman. Blackman plays wide, Johnson drops back into defensive midfield and Bent is a natural replacement for Martin up front, especially with Tom Ince absolutely on fire.

It's not even more attacking on paper, let alone on the pitch, but it did afford the opportunity for two out-of-form players (one of whom was already the target of the boo-boys) the opportunity of a 'cheap' win. It seemed an eminently sensible thing to do.

Only our defence, in particular Christie and Shackell, forget their jobs.

Your 'moronic' jibe is, frankly, made with the benefit of hindsight.

Just now, eddie said:

More attacking?

You have a couple of Derby players who are so down on form that basically Wassall daren't play them from the start - the crowd are on their back every part of the way. So with 15 minutes to go and the side leading 3-0, he takes off Martin and Thorne and brings on Bent and Blackman. Blackman plays wide, Johnson drops back into defensive midfield and Bent is a natural replacement for Martin up front, especially with Tom Ince absolutely on fire.

It's not even more attacking on paper, let alone on the pitch, but it did afford the opportunity for two out-of-form players (one of whom was already the target of the boo-boys) the opportunity of a 'cheap' win. It seemed an eminently sensible thing to do.

Only our defence, in particular Christie and Shackell, forget their jobs.

Your 'moronic' jibe is, frankly, made with the benefit of hindsight.

Yes it is. The last statement isn't true. Like most others, I was horrified at the change right as it happened. Yes Christie and shacks and even Keogh fluffed but if we had an extra defender and Thorne in there there's no chance in hell we lose 2 points. Then to boot, Wassall has the nerve to talk about the players not managing the game ! Shackell was livid at the changes - they made little sense. He was blaming the players when Owen Bradley questioned the necessity of the changes. Wassall justified removing Thorne to protect him if I recall but he sure didn't protect him in an utterly meaningless game where he was flying into tackles pre hull - while Hull rested theirs. Double broken leg he misses the playoffs and we still don't got him. The point here is that DW was tactically inept. 

5 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Yes it is. The last statement isn't true. Like most others, I was horrified at the change right as it happened. Yes Christie and shacks and even Keogh fluffed but if we had an extra defender and Thorne in there there's no chance in hell we lose 2 points. Then to boot, Wassall has the nerve to talk about the players not managing the game ! Shackell was livid at the changes - they made little sense. He was blaming the players when Owen Bradley questioned the necessity of the changes. Wassall justified removing Thorne to protect him if I recall but he sure didn't protect him in an utterly meaningless game where he was flying into tackles pre hull - while Hull rested theirs. Double broken leg he misses the playoffs and we still don't got him. The point here is that DW was tactically inept. 

Blaming Wassall for Thorne breaking his leg? You really are scraping the barrel now.

1 minute ago, eddie said:

Blaming Wassall for Thorne breaking his leg? You really are scraping the barrel now.

Would you have played him just for a remote chance of playing the second leg of the playoff at home ?  I think you're too smart for that. He needed resting but he was playing super aggressive ... Thorne isn't like other players: he only plays at 100%+. Bless him. Again the point is that Wassalls decisions were far from optimal. We had a huge playoff series coming up v Hull. Rest your key players. Sometimes your decisions affect your luck.

7 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

yeah, I have said this from his first spell at the club. The bloke is excellent and knowing where to stand to block a shot, but in terms of effort and bravery, unless the ball is within 12inches, he's not committed to winning it.

I know someone that played alongside him in the same side a few years back. He summed Shackell up by saying: "postionally very good, however spends most of his time pointing and shouting at people in front of him. Wouldn't count on him to go into the trenches with him."

Don't shoot the messenger.

1 minute ago, IronRam 70.3 said:

I know someone that played alongside him in the same side a few years back. He summed Shackell up by saying: "postionally very good, however spends most of his time pointing and shouting at people in front of him. Wouldn't count on him to go into the trenches with him."

Was he playing for Burnley too?

Just now, IronRam 70.3 said:

Isn't it good he shouts? We are accused many a time of not having enough leaders on the pitch. I remember the Arsenal teams in the past, the likes of tony Adams and Martin keown used to ******* their teammate's on the pitch if they weren't playing well.

5 minutes ago, IronRam 70.3 said:

Did this player happen to be John brayford?

Archived