James Wilson

Cam the Ram

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Nick_Ram said:

You say that he is entitled to an opinion, but then he's not allowed to have an opinion that makes him feel underwhelmed? It's one or the other.

Read what I said. Having an opinion is not the same as having a right to something. I also feel disappointed with our transfer business so far in this window.

24 minutes ago, satty atwal said:

Maybe i have been spoilt by the near success of the last 3 seasons and have forgot the years of mid table mediocrity and many before that pre mr pickering? Think tbh it's knowing on paper we have a very very close squad to get up bar a few additions.... that arent being made that could have been... expecting them to be made... maybe expecting too much.... i duno

That's not even the problem.

It's the attitude of judgment before you've even seen a player in a Derby kit.

It's the money can buy a title attitude. Have Leicester, Iceland et al not taught you anything?

Players can be great players, but if they don't fit into the team, their surroundings and buy in, it doesn't mean a thing. 

Martin was pretty poor before coming here. Di Maria was phenomenal before and after Man Utd. 

Chucking money about doesn't guarantee you anything other than greater expectation. 

1 minute ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Good signing, I never mind signing a lad on loan from United, they don't all work out but I think Wilson shows great promise.

If we create chances for him, he will score, simple really.

Exactly. A loan move is fairly safe. And Leicester/Pearson had great success loaning and then buying United players over the years, a few still holding down starting places for the champs.

A question to all the fans who feel underwhelmed and disappointed by this loan signing - did you feel like that when we got Ibe on loan? 

Ibe was unproven at this level and a lot of fans would happily have taken him back, similar to Wisdom.

So what if Wilson didnt score that many at Brighton, sometimes players flourish more at some clubs than others and thats at every level of the game...Torres with Liverpool and Chelsea...Di Maria with Madrid and Man Utd to Martin and Swindon then us. Doesnt mean he is a bad player, he is clearly highly thought of at Man Utd and im sure he would have played with a couple of our players before for England youth teams, Hughes Thorne Ince maybe? If so, that should hopefully help him come in and settle quickly

2 hours ago, Srg said:

Not a bad signing but a bit underwhelming having been linked with all sorts of multimillion pound players to just end up with a loan. 

If teams won't sell that is that, just like us, it may just add up to our advantage 

This thread is a load of over entitled, delusional dross. 

Sorry if this doesn't apply to you but for those of you having a go about a player you will have seen no more than 1/2 times is unbelievable. 

As somebody pointed out 5goals in the equivalent of 13 matches if we just look at minutes played. Appearances distort stats as he could come on in injury time and that classes as an appearance. 

Anyway Pearson knows a damn sight more than us because he's paid to know a damn sight more and if he says we will only bring in players who improve us then I have faith Wilson will improve us. 

He's a pacey striker who can finish. We clearly need pace as an option up front because I could beat both Martin and Bent in a sprint. Not criticising them but their games are not about pace and it's an option we should have. 

It's also a loan which makes it such low risk!!! 

1 hour ago, eddie said:

I'm not sure how it happened - Derby fans never used to be as thick as pigshit, but our new generation of bandwagon-jumpers who arrived in the last 3 or 4 years must have purchased record levels of entitlement from Forest or Leeds.

Stop beting around the bush and say what you feckin think @eddie :lol:

31 minutes ago, Srg said:

That's not even the problem.

It's the attitude of judgment before you've even seen a player in a Derby kit.

It's the money can buy a title attitude. Have Leicester, Iceland et al not taught you anything?

Players can be great players, but if they don't fit into the team, their surroundings and buy in, it doesn't mean a thing. 

Martin was pretty poor before coming here. Di Maria was phenomenal before and after Man Utd. 

Chucking money about doesn't guarantee you anything other than greater expectation. 

Could not agree more with this.

Brilliant post. 

We chucked money about last season and it got us nowhere. 

3 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Brilliant post. 

It's also the retorts of "well he was ***** for team x, only scored y amount of goals in z appearances."

Barely matters, other than as a discussion piece. 

Players can be prolific in some places and not others. Players can play ridiculously well and just be unlucky. They could be played wide, played deep, rotated in and out the team... They could have thought their strike partners was a knob, maybe didn't suit the defensive work he was being asked to do.. So on and so on

It's just impossible to compare a player in a previous situation you have little knowledge about and transfer it entirely into a new situation. 

9 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Brilliant post. 

Well it did and it didn't. Carson and Shackell helped secure our defense up considerably. Ince was an obvious incoming. One player in Camara hasn't really had a proper opportunity and considering how much he cost us is going to turn out to be quite a good deal in this market. You can see the thinking in Blackman. Goals at a good rate that would be enough to carry us across the line. But we got none of that. Our downfall was that we didn't give Clement a full season at least and we ignored the loan market. I say we. Sam Rush and Mel Morris. Out of the 12 signings of first team squad players I am only unhappy about 3. But they add up to about £11.5m. Players brought in to score goals based on previous records. A few seasons ago we got it right. We brought those players in on loan first. We should be looking to do that again this season. So I hope we can secure a loan for Wilson. 

1 hour ago, r4derby said:

Exactly. A loan move is fairly safe. And Leicester/Pearson had great success loaning and then buying United players over the years, a few still holding down starting places for the champs.

Being in the Championship our spending is restricted and our revenue limited. Mel has made it clear where he wants to see Derby go. It doesn't really matter in hindsight if it would have been better value to buy players in this league versus when we finally go up. Because our owner appears to want to re-invest that extra money back into the club where as other clubs have owners in it for the big pay day.

Alternative A we buy him for £6m now and he get's us promoted. Alternative B we don't get promoted. Alternative C we loan him, he get's us promoted and they ask for £15m when that happens. Alternative D we say no thanks. Alternative E we don't get promoted. 

As you state a loan is fairly safe. Far less risks involved. If it means that player will cost us almost double a year later...so what. We will have the resources to do so and if we don't want to we don't have to. 

2 hours ago, Srg said:

It's also the retorts of "well he was ***** for team x, only scored y amount of goals in z appearances."

Barely matters, other than as a discussion piece. 

Players can be prolific in some places and not others. Players can play ridiculously well and just be unlucky. They could be played wide, played deep, rotated in and out the team... They could have thought their strike partners was a knob, maybe didn't suit the defensive work he was being asked to do.. So on and so on

It's just impossible to compare a player in a previous situation you have little knowledge about and transfer it entirely into a new situation. 

They could have played under Paul Clement!! 

Archived