Everything must go?

sage

After 3 years of 433, NP seems set on 442/4411. If you look at our players and see who is more suited to the latter than 433 and I think you are looking at Bent and maybe Weimann, possibly Ince. Whereas Players like Martin and Thorne certainly won't operate in this system, Hughes, Hendrick, Bryson and Butterfield are less suited and Chrsitie and Forsyth will see their forward forays reduced without a DCM in front of the centre backs.

With Martin dropped in pre-season and v Brighton for Bent and a bid coming in, it seems the fulcrum of everything we do may soon be on his way. Who else will exit stage left as we change our shape? Certainly Thorne and I struggle to imagine any of our CMs performing well in a two man midfield. 

It seems to me that this season will be one of transition, with this transfer window and the next two needed to complete all the necessary transactions before we can seriously compete for promotion. Obviously some players will adapt, but I can still see 7 or 8 of the senior squad moving on with a similar amount of arrivals.

It's going to be sad to see so many much loved players leave, but what else will we lose? That sense of identity? that connection you make with players over a number of seasons? that attractive, ball to feet, possession based football we have loved over the last few seasons?

It seems our journey along the Derby Way has hit some diversion signs. Maybe this diversion will be a dual carriageway bypassing the quaint country village, speeding us along towards our destination, but in a far less attractive manner. Perhaps this is the most efficient way to reach the Premier League, but I will miss our intricate passing much as I'd miss the narrow lane passing the thatched pub and the mill pond.

It would appear that pace and power are future and the beast will overcome the beauty.

I don't know if and when NP will take us to the Premier League, but I hope it's worth it.  .   

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For 3 years it hasn't got us there, so why not? Martin works with 4-3-3 but like many have said when he gets marked out of games we struggle and there isn't another option 

give it a go, if mels willing to splash again and if we get £8mill for Martin alls good imo 

I believe it will, in time.

I don't necessarily want it to have to be this way, but it was going to happen as time went by. It's what made that first season under Schtevie so special was that we had 11 out there who were all producing something above themselves. But it was a moment I feel has passed. felt it when the wheels came off in 15, never came back under clement or wassall.

Even if we have transition, it's not like we've gone for Billy Davies or regressed to Nigel Clough.

Sad tho,the much maligned Mac brought me back to the fold proper after watching years of drudge under Clough junior....I'll be sad to see it go and many of the current crop of players are the modern derby county to me...martin,Russell,bryson,thorne....I felt bad when wardy left,never mind these heroes.

I just hope they can adapt before the axe falls....

Worst scenario, sage but having watched Leicester beat us 4 - 1 the writing was on the wall.

Zamora changed everything. We might have been promoted and relegated by now. Mel must have decided that getting promotion was more important than not getting promotion.

Only Pearson knows what he's thinking. It will become clearer over the weeks. It's no surprise fo a manager to start out with what he's found has worked before for him, but if he's good he'll adapt if that proves not to be working. Every club sells players and we're no different. If we do sell I want us to get top dollar and move on. If a player's done well for us I clap him when he returns. We have our favourites and stars but some of them are bound to move on at some point. I don't, though, think it's beyond most good professionals to play in different formations. Few of the Derby team would have been brought up in a 4-3-3.

To be really successful in the modern game I think you inevitably need pace and power and Derby's failing has sometimes when it mattered we have been too lightweight. The finest example was probably the 4-1 demolition at Leicester. I want it all so I want beautiful football and pace and power. Will it be evolution or revolution? I simply think it's too early to tell, but I do strongly believe Pearson was a good appointment. I just wish he'd come in immediately after Clement was sacked rather than wasting last season.

2 hours ago, cannable said:

It was gorgeous whilst it lasted.

You notice from those just how few came last season. Those quick, low crosses into the box in the 2013/14 season seemed to disappear as teams suddenly played a deeper line against us while pressing from the front.

Seems like an end to a beautiful era. 

I love the old football but Wigan set the blueprint on how to beat us. It's just to easy. We need change I'm looking forward to soaking the pressure and countering as we have the players to counter with and at pace. I remember everytime we played Leicester you just knew you was going to lose even if we played decent.

With regards to Martin I really like him I'd hate to see him go and score goals for other clubs or even against us. A team will have to build around him but will no doubt get them goals. If we are to get rid we need someone like Gray or Britt someone with pace and power.

4 hours ago, Rampage said:

The best formation is the one that gets us promoted and keeps us in the Premiership.

Question - How many current Premiership teams play 442 or 4411 ?

Closest I think is Leicester. 

Can't think of any others from last season. Everyone seems to favour at least 1 holding midfielder. So 4231 quite popular  (eg Chelsea arsenal ) or what looked like 4141  (man u west brom)

Even big Sam seemed to play 4141 at Sunderland. 

Can look on here....

Www.formation-x.com

Give the formation change a chance. The reason why 4-3-3 was effective in Mac's first season was because it was something new and surprised a lot of teams. I think we saw the beginning of the end of its success at Wembley as QPR set a blue print on how to stop it and other teams have adopted similar approaches. Yes we were top at one point in Macs second season but the performances were not as convincing imo as teams started to work us out .Teams are no longer surprised with us using 4-3-3 and as Ash said above its very easy to play against with the right tactics. Our version of 4-3-3 was good when we were playing well but it relies on 2 players- Martin and Thorne. Without these 2 players the formation becomes nearly useless. I'm going to give Pearson a chance because he obviously knows what he is doing and why none of us on this forum are managers.

Archived