Everything must go?

sage

31 minutes ago, Derbados said:

Pearson is the best Manager we've had in a long time. When he first took over at Leicester, their fans were saying exactly the same things we are saying now. He came in and made controversial decisions, dropped players who were regular starters and started to change aspects of the club internally. 

Slowly but surely he bought his own players in and moved on those who wernt going to fit in with his style. He spread the mentality of fast, counter attacking football, every man dies for the cause type mentality. There are huge similarities here to when Pearson took over at Leicester, a big, bloated squad of egos and large transfer fees. 

Pearson wont budge on his ethos, if players dont buy in to his ideas then they will be out of the door, simple as that. He wont buckle to pressure like clement did and revert to 4-3-3 and he'll almost certainly crush any player cliques and revolts against his methods. He probably wont do it this season, but i am absolutely 100% confident that given time Nigel Pearson will get us promoted out of this league, and he'll do it with style. 

For those having a heart attack over our players being linked with moves away, i ask you - when have they produced when it really matters, are we quick to forget Wembley, reading and Hull? They've had their chance, 4-3-3 has had its day. Now let a real expert at this level prove his methods. 

Totally agree. It was said on here when he first arrived it wasn't an appointment that would see quick results, it was always going to take time and Leicester fans themselves it would take time. I respect Mel for taking the decision to give him the job and hopefully give him the time. 

Even then its been 1 win 1 draw 2 clean sheets ffs

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lots of people keep suggesting we failed with the 4-3-3. No one can say it failed in the first half season when Mac came in, and we lost to QPR. We were top the next season until unrest and injury. And Clement played a totally different version of the 4-3-3, which was extremely rigid and safe.

I'm probably in the minority, but I firmly believe if we had spent all this money we have wasted on players who could strengthen and develop the attacking 4-3-3 we had, we would be successful. (And have a lot more admiration for the way the club was run and the football being played).

5 minutes ago, ramLAD said:

I'm probably in the minority, but I firmly believe if we had spent all this money we have wasted on players who could strengthen and develop the attacking 4-3-3 we had, we would be successful. (And have a lot more admiration for the way the club was run and the football being played).

Had we spent that £25,000,000 correctly we should have had a squad good enough to survive, comfortably. 

5 minutes ago, cannable said:

Had we spent that £25,000,000 correctly we should have had a squad good enough to survive, comfortably. 

I should've probably said that not all signings will work out, obviously, as every signing is a risk. But at least we would have a system and philosophy we could have some pride in and a system which we knew the existing players flourished in.

10 hours ago, sage said:

After 3 years of 433, NP seems set on 442/4411. If you look at our players and see who is more suited to the latter than 433 and I think you are looking at Bent and maybe Weimann, possibly Ince. Whereas Players like Martin and Thorne certainly won't operate in this system, Hughes, Hendrick, Bryson and Butterfield are less suited and Chrsitie and Forsyth will see their forward forays reduced without a DCM in front of the centre backs.

Not sure I agree with you about most of these players being unsuited to the 4-4-2

We've seen a series of teams promoted recently (ALL last seasons teams for example) play a variation on 4-4-2 with 2 deep lying midfielders... Thorne is the perfect version of that because he can actually play football too... Stick Hughes next to him, or Hendrick and you have a decent deep-lying-but-can-play-forward pairing...

Then there have been a couple of approaches for the rest... We saw Norwich 2 yrs ago and Hull last season play more defensive wide mids and attacking full backs (Johnson and was it Olsson's brother at Norwich that year?)... The Hull RB was (the lad from Brentford?) was amazing every time we played them...

Then there's the Leicester approach which was a little more "defensive full backs, ultra fast wingers"... Boro had some combination of the two...

I think there are plenty of players in the squad who could fit 4-4-2 and play it well... He just needs to make sure the balance is right... on Saturday he played defensive LB with defensive LM and it unbalanced the team... I also think Christie kept having the problem with Blackman that they were both trying to run into the same channels...

Wonder what it would have looked like if they'd switched Blackman and Johnson over at some point?

4 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Not sure I agree with you about most of these players being unsuited to the 4-4-2

We've seen a series of teams promoted recently (ALL last seasons teams for example) play a variation on 4-4-2 with 2 deep lying midfielders... Thorne is the perfect version of that because he can actually play football too... Stick Hughes next to him, or Hendrick and you have a decent deep-lying-but-can-play-forward pairing...

Then there have been a couple of approaches for the rest... We saw Norwich 2 yrs ago and Hull last season play more defensive wide mids and attacking full backs (Johnson and was it Olsson's brother at Norwich that year?)... The Hull RB was (the lad from Brentford?) was amazing every time we played them...

Then there's the Leicester approach which was a little more "defensive full backs, ultra fast wingers"... Boro had some combination of the two...

I think there are plenty of players in the squad who could fit 4-4-2 and play it well... He just needs to make sure the balance is right... on Saturday he played defensive LB with defensive LM and it unbalanced the team... I also think Christie kept having the problem with Blackman that they were both trying to run into the same channels...

Wonder what it would have looked like if they'd switched Blackman and Johnson over at some point?

I don't think Thorne is mobile enough to play in a  442, maybe in a diamond 442 

2 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I have it from a good source that Pearson said in his interview that "If you tolerate this, then your children will be next"

Can we for once stop the ridiculous puns and have a serious debate based on the original post.

This is my truth. Tell me yours. 

12 minutes ago, sage said:

I don't think Thorne is mobile enough to play in a  442, maybe in a diamond 442 

I think he's as mobile as Huddlestone is... And he played the role for Hull last year... I think Thorne is a better tackler too... I think he's a match for Barton and Jones too...

I think a lot of people assume that 4-4-2 necessitates two box-to-box CMs... But that doesn't seem to be the case for most of the sides we've seen promoted recently...

6 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

I think he's as mobile as Huddlestone is... And he played the role for Hull last year... I think Thorne is a better tackler too... I think he's a match for Barton and Jones too...

I think a lot of people assume that 4-4-2 necessitates two box-to-box CMs... But that doesn't seem to be the case for most of the sides we've seen promoted recently...

I really would not include Thorne in any future plans. 44 starts at the age of 24 (this season) is awful. Hendrick is 24 and has over 200 starts. He's just a bonus if he comes fit and ready at some point in the future. 

3 minutes ago, Gypsy Ram said:

I really would not include Thorne in any future plans. 44 starts at the age of 24 (this season) is awful. Hendrick is 24 and has over 200 starts. He's just a bonus if he comes fit and ready at some point in the future. 

Don't say things like that Gyspy! I'm hungover and struggling this morning... I don't need you to make me cry with thoughts like that too! :(

19 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

I genuinely think when we played them second leg we would of won if they didn't take Huddlestone off. We was running rings around him and it appeared he was not even on the pitch! We just seemed to bypass him.

Once they took him off and replaced him with someone full of running and closing us down we struggled a bit after. If they kept Huddlestone on I have no doubt we would of won that game or at least gone into Extra Time.

People overdo the formation analysis. Football's much more fluid in practice and a 4-4-1-1 that has two central midfielders and two "wingers" clearly morphs pretty seemlessly into the 4-2-3-1 that most Premier League teams apparently play. In the same way that 4-3-3 can be 4-5-1 when defending.

Every English footballer grows up playing 4-4-2 in some form so they're all comfortable with it. It's not true that it requires wingers as demonstrated by Butterfield coming on and being effective in the wide left role on Tuesday. As long as the fullbacks get up and down we're fine. I still say we should play to our strengths and spread our quality midfielders across the pitch with Bryson and Hughes central, Butterfield left-hand side and Hendrik right-hand side.

1 hour ago, Gypsy Ram said:

Is like to disagree but can't. He,s too injury prone and for a 24 year old that stat is depressing.

Archived