Bradley Johnson

TETRA

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Unfortunately he also split our own defence a couple of times with back passes but I've decided that I should be glass half full.

He got a couple of hefty challenges in. Bloke behind me kept exhorting him to "rattle his ankles bradders!" so maybe pearson is trying to coach him into the dm role in the midfield 2.

Hope so. Listen I think we all see that he's not a consistently good passer of the ball. A lot of wayward passes. Probably why Norwich stuck him out on the left but he's an excellent championship player and for this level he should be regularly starting. Sort of player you can't keep dropping as he strikes one as a confidence player - with his tail up he's a menace in every way : tackle head goalscorer ... 

8 minutes ago, Derbados said:

He also got caught dithering on the halfway line and played Origi clean through on goal 

For every one thing he does well, he does 5 terrible things 

That's very harsh, Derb. Much of his wayward passing is due to how static we are. If people are not open or barely open  someone like Hughes will either shield it, beat the player or fine thread a pass - Johnson can't do that and under pressure with a player barely open he will make mistakes. All the "things" you refer to are passes, and it's not easy to pass on this team. 

6 minutes ago, Ninos said:

That's very harsh, Derb. Much of his wayward passing is due to how static we are. If people are not open or barely open  someone like Hughes will either shield it, beat the player or fine thread a pass - Johnson can't do that and under pressure with a player barely open he will make mistakes. All the "things" you refer to are passes, and it's not easy to pass on this team. 

This. We never have options in front of us. It's either run through a wall of players and lose it or try and play a safe pass. It's not like we have people offering options we seem to have shy players at the moment.

36 minutes ago, dajstrawb said:

Exactly. Easy to criticise a poor pass but if there isn't much to pass to inthe first place your pass becomes 5x as difficult. To say BJ hasn't had a run of games in god knows how long, Tuesday was a steady performance 

And yet he made exactly the same sort of errors when playing in a much more free flowing team in he second half of last season and playing more regularly.

2 hours ago, Ninos said:

Hope so. Listen I think we all see that he's not a consistently good passer of the ball. A lot of wayward passes. Probably why Norwich stuck him out on the left but he's an excellent championship player and for this level he should be regularly starting. Sort of player you can't keep dropping as he strikes one as a confidence player - with his tail up he's a menace in every way : tackle head goalscorer ... 

Yeah I'm tending to that view also. Not to be a numbers misery but we did pay £6m for the bloke so we may as well try and get some value. If Pearson and the coaching team can reinvent him then they should rightly celebrate that as a job well done.

Anyone who has a slight bit of football experience will tell you that you don't focus on one individual error, but a players overall performance. Unfortunately fans are obsessed with pointing fingers

He did well on Tuesday, bit rusty but I like what I saw. But that's all that needs to be said. Show a bit of encouragement and we might start seeing the player looked another level when he first came in. He might be that character we have missed, Liverpool certainly weren't huge fans of him on Tuesday!

3 hours ago, dajstrawb said:

Exactly. Easy to criticise a poor pass but if there isn't much to pass to inthe first place your pass becomes 5x as difficult. To say BJ hasn't had a run of games in god knows how long, Tuesday was a steady performance 

Johnson needs to play games to get back to his best. I don't think we should write this player off. He could be a Pearson type player.

Archived