Philosophy and system

Sexydadbod

Fans of any club CANNOT expect to see pretty football with Pearson in charge....Pearson is a pragmatist and would be happy to win every home game 1-0 and be satisfied with a 0-0 draw in every away game.

92 points = automatic promotion.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, Grantona said:

Fans of any club CANNOT expect to see pretty football with Pearson in charge....Pearson is a pragmatist and would be happy to win every home game 1-0 and be satisfied with a 0-0 draw in every away game.

I think ruling it out is a bit unfair. 

I think, if he's being pragmatic, it would be setting up to beat teams playing nice football but when that is not possible, just to beat them another way. Surely that's what most managers strive for?

14 hours ago, David said:

Whilst it may be written down as 4-4-1-1, I can see it being more of a 4-2-3-1 on the pitch.

Pretty much bang on. At least last game we defended with 4-4-2 and attacked with 4-2-3-1.

2 hours ago, Grantona said:

Do that and we would get some records that would NEVER be beaten!

14 hours ago, cannable said:

So why appoint Pearson then?! We know how effective 4-3-3 is with this current crop of players when everybody is fit. The much maligned Wassall managed to take us in a six game unbeaten streak (four wins), three games of which were against top six sides when we finally had everybody fit.

Certain things Pearson's said seem to go against things that Mel's said in the past;

Alternating style and system depending on who we're playing against, rather than having a definitive style of play (which in turn will leave the academy without a blueprint to follow).

He's spoken a fair bit about winning when not playing well, whereas Mel was big on getting the performances right which would result in wins and then promotion.

I'm starting to get the impression that Pearson was only appointed to appease those screaming for 'an experience manager', whatever that is, rather than somebody to continue with his strategy. 

Pearson might well take us up playing some of the most exciting football we've ever seen, but right now his appointment doesn't seem in line with the vision Mel set out last season.

A stupid post - how can you know what 'way' Pearson is going to use when we haven't played a competitive game yet?

"Alternating style and system  etc"  - why does that have to mean we will have 'no definitive style of play' ? You have to have more than one system and need to be flexible. What makes you think Pearson doesn't "want to get the performances right" ? What you really mean is that he isn't fitting the way  YOU want.

As for Mel's utterances. The 'Derby way' can mean absolutely anything you want since there was no clarity about it and that's why the football commentators just laughed at the whole idea.

In the end it's Mel who appointed him and we must suppose he knew what he would get from Pearson.

30 minutes ago, DRBee said:

A stupid post - how can you know what 'way' Pearson is going to use when we haven't played a competitive game yet?

"Alternating style and system  etc"  - why does that have to mean we will have 'no definitive style of play' ? You have to have more than one system and need to be flexible. What makes you think Pearson doesn't "want to get the performances right" ? What you really mean is that he isn't fitting the way  YOU want.

As for Mel's utterances. The 'Derby way' can mean absolutely anything you want since there was no clarity about it and that's why the football commentators just laughed at the whole idea.

In the end it's Mel who appointed him and we must suppose he knew what he would get from Pearson.

Name me one successful team that has regularly alternated system. 

How often do teams with settled sides outperform teams who chop and change. How do you improve a side that's always alternating system? Players would only fit a few of the many systems you use throughout the season and so would improve you for about 10 games.

Mel thought he knew what he was getting from Clement. Clement said all the same things as Pearson.

The Derby Way was pretty clear, the hordes of imbeciles just chose to not listen and thus didn't buy into the view. Read this and swap "Nicola Cortese" for "Mel Morris" and "Southampton Way" for "Derby Way". 

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/25420261

That's what Mel was trying to do.

By the way, branding an opinion 'stupid' just because you disagree with it is pure ignorance. 

I'm not even saying Pearson won't get us up this season. I'm saying that if Mel still has this idea of 'The Derby Way' then I don't think Pearson is an appointment which would match up to his ideas and vision. 

It's alright saying we haven't kicked a ball under Pearson competitively yet, but in his last year at Leicester he used NINE different systems. He's spoken of doing similar here. 

He wanted a Head Coach and not a manager so that regardless of the man in charge of the first team whoever came in next would be able to come in and the transition be as seemless as possible. Rather than having to rebuild after every new appointment. We had a set style of player we wanted etcetera. A huge chunk of McClaren's success was down to the fact that his system was an evolved form of Clough's.

I'm not saying Pearson won't get us up, I'm not saying he won't bring us exciting attacking football, I'm not saying anything other than I don't think he really fits the vision Mel set out last season - which means he's probably scrapped his vision.

My philosophy and system.

Play better than there 11 players on the pitch, score more goals than there 11 on the pitch. Enjoy the game and celebrate.

5-4-3-2-1 (always include your subs it's a team game and everyone connected with the club is part of the team)

As for Manfred Man....well you gotta do what you can.

4 hours ago, Srg said:

I think ruling it out is a bit unfair. 

I think, if he's being pragmatic, it would be setting up to beat teams playing nice football but when that is not possible, just to beat them another way. Surely that's what most managers strive for?

Unfortunately a lot of Managers end up doing as per this track, here's hoping we don't have to "Run the Paul Jewels" ever again.

1 hour ago, cannable said:

I'm not even saying Pearson won't get us up this season. I'm saying that if Mel still has this idea of 'The Derby Way' then I don't think Pearson is an appointment which would match up to his ideas and vision. 

It's alright saying we haven't kicked a ball under Pearson competitively yet, but in his last year at Leicester he used NINE different systems. He's spoken of doing similar here. 

He wanted a Head Coach and not a manager so that regardless of the man in charge of the first team whoever came in next would be able to come in and the transition be as seemless as possible. Rather than having to rebuild after every new appointment. We had a set style of player we wanted etcetera. A huge chunk of McClaren's success was down to the fact that his system was an evolved form of Clough's.

I'm not saying Pearson won't get us up, I'm not saying he won't bring us exciting attacking football, I'm not saying anything other than I don't think he really fits the vision Mel set out last season - which means he's probably scrapped his vision.

You've summed up my thoughts on the appointment of Pearson in this thread much more eloquently than I could manage, but I completely agree with you.

I also agreed entirely with Mel's vision, and if he has scrapped it I think it would be a terrible shame and down, at least in part, due to the short-termist attitude of many supporters.

2 hours ago, cannable said:

Name me one successful team that has regularly alternated system.

I'm sure we can all name a club who have rigidly stuck to one system for the last 3 seasons; been worked out by other clubs who have frustrated them and scored on the break; and whose fans have been crying out for a Plan B all that time.

20 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

I'm sure we can all name a club who have rigidly stuck to one system for the last 3 seasons; been worked out by other clubs who have frustrated them and scored on the break; and whose fans have been crying out for a Plan B all that time.

Certainly not us. The only thing Clement's and McClaren's system had in common was the shape on paper. 

8 hours ago, OohMartWright said:

This thread is bordering on the absurd. People are speculating on the formation that Pearson will use against Brighton and then slagging that formation off if it isn't 4-3-3. We don't know what his starting eleven will be, nor in what formation they will be asked to play. Can't we just get behind Pearson and the team with a level of support and enthusiasm like that seen at the Hull away leg, and save the post-mortems for later, if it doesn't work out.

What are we supposed to do on a forum? 

Why can't we have this thread and back Pearson and the team like Hull away? 

If every thread was "C'mon Pearson!!!!" the forum would die.

Besides, the discussion is less about formation and more about continuity and mentality 

On a simplistic level, I don't believe our style/formation needed changing but I do feel these players have needed better management. I certainly believe Pearson is the right man to manage these players and the coaches he has got in you would think are the ones to keep our attractive play going. Regardless of formation we should still be able to play attractive football, we have the players. I don't think Mel has scrapped his vision but I think Pearson is there to undo the excess of Clement. A wrong appointment this summer could have seen another huge influx of players and upheaval.

The best thing for this club right now is a manager who will work with what we have and tweak here and there. Exactly what it needed last season...

11 hours ago, cannable said:

I'm hoping they've met in the middle, with both having become more mellow, i do expect to see us

in a 433, at home when we are playing Rotherham, Barnsley etc..

Archived