Darren Bent

Day

3 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Disappointed with this comment. Always had you down as a more balanced and educated poster. 

Labelling Dawkins a headless chicken is ridiculous and probably the opposite of what he is. I don't remember many in the recent past being as composed as he was under pressure. Sometimes he frustrated by cutting in and playing the ball backwards but that's the opposite of a headless chicken.

I like Russell but if you were to compare any of those players to a headless chicken it would be him surely? Head down and run as fast as he can into, usually, danger. 

All right then - a player who ran around a lot with the ball at his feet looking good, but with less end product than British Leyland in the 1980s. And yes, I was at Fulham and Bourremouth - his two ten minute spells in a Derby County shirt where he looked worth his transfer fee. He was a house of cards. Looked fantastc, no substance.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, eddie said:

All right then - a player who ran around a lot with the ball at his feet looking good, but with less end product than ritish Leyland in the 1980s.

Fair enough you can have that opinion of him that's fine. Though less end product for me translates to losing possession. I know he was frustrating at times with not putting the ball in or not shooting but he very rarely lost the ball. This sometimes slowed down attacks but sometimes kept momentum so swings and roundabouts, nothing unexpected from a championship level winger I guess. 

7 hours ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

As long as Bent is scoring goals, I couldn't care less what else he does.

If he scores and we win, I'm not going to be moaning that on 72 mins he over hit a pass to Hughes.

You'll be the only one out of 30,000 :ph34r:

12 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Fair enough you can have that opinion of him that's fine. Though less end product for me translates to losing possession. I know he was frustrating at times with not putting the ball in or not shooting but he very rarely lost the ball. This sometimes slowed down attacks but sometimes kept momentum so swings and roundabouts, nothing unexpected from a championship level winger I guess. 

Nobody could ever accuse Simon Dawkins of losing possession - but he was like the boy who could do a thousand keepy-uppies in the playground and nothing else. Keeping possession was his game - it was all he had.

He played 60 games for Derby - and I summed up his contribution in two words - Fulham and Bournemouth (three if you include 'and').

Bent and Martin are different strikers. Martin plays infront of the defence and needs the ball early and runners beyond to make him truly useful, when that works it is brilliant. Bent plays between and behind the defence, doesn't need anyone to go beyond but needs good delivery.

We have gone with Martin as our focal point the last three seasons, teams expect it. Both players if used correctly will score a lot of goals in this league and it is good to see us not being reliant on one player and style.

Doesn't matter which one or if both play, if we treat Martin as Bent or Bent as Martin then we are wasting our time.

8 hours ago, Alpha said:

Noooo!!!

Rynny my brother! We're trying to forget!! 

2 of those had us all regularly checking back on our own not so glorious football history wondering why we never made it.

And Theo Robinson just confused folk. How can someone so crap accidently do quite a bit of decent stuff yet still remain crap? It's like someone was controlling him didn't know all the buttons so just pressed all of them.

Just showing that Bent is not the worst striker we have had recently, could have gone worse than that. Priskin. *shudder*

Still convinced that when Robinson scored this goal he was trying to control it.

2 hours ago, eddie said:

Nobody could ever accuse Simon Dawkins of losing possession - but he was like the boy who could do a thousand keepy-uppies in the playground and nothing else. Keeping possession was his game - it was all he had.

He played 60 games for Derby - and I summed up his contribution in two words - Fulham and Bournemouth (three if you include 'and').

But it worked. He would drift inside, making triangles with Fozzy overlapping and Bryson underlapping. He'd end up at the base of the triangle much like Hughes on the other side.

And don't overlook his three games in centre-midfield during the backend of 14/15, MOTM in two. Showed enough to be given a chance there if he wasn't fancied as a winger. 

1 hour ago, rynny said:

Just showing that Bent is not the worst striker we have had recently, could have gone worse than that. Priskin. *shudder*

Still convinced that when Robinson scored this goal he was trying to control it.

That ball through from Bucko though :wub:

7 minutes ago, cannable said:

But it worked. He would drift inside, making triangles with Fozzy overlapping and Bryson underlapping. He'd end up at the base of the triangle much like Hughes on the other side.

And don't overlook his three games in centre-midfield during the backend of 14/15, MOTM in two. Showed enough to be given a chance there if he wasn't fancied as a winger. 

A shame that he would then drift out of the picture, Hendrick-like, for the next three months.

I liked the guy, loved his effort, loved the way he kept possession, but you had to make him the focus of absolutely everything because if you didn't, he would anyway.

Headless chicken, a luxury, someone playing on a different plane, flawed genius, a player years ahead of his time or a show-pony - I don't particularly care what label people wish to attach to him.

14 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Darren Bent.... I just don't get it. He offers absoloutely nothing in the final third other than scoring goals. If we want a poacher, why not just land the best poacher in non-league and pay him a fraction of what Bent earns.

I've never seen a forward in a Derby shirt who offers as little as Bent outside the box.

He's a good goal scorer, but his presence makes his weaker overall as we have no outball and he can't defend from the front. Starting him instead of Martin is madness.

Jon Macken? :lol:

Maybe sacrificing any sniff of football from our frontman is what we need, maybe more so when we're away from home playing counter attacking football. Too many times last year our strikers were involved in the build up and then there was no one in the box to finish it 

1 hour ago, EnigmaRam said:

Formation will determine which one of Bent or Martin is best imo

Delete this, no room for common sense and being reasonable in today's current climate.

You're either adore the EU or think it's worse than human trafficking and it's either Bent or Martin, NO MIDDLE GROUND.

#BanEnigmaRam

Bent best finisher in this division bar non but that is what he is a finisher of chances and it took him to the top level and plays off the last defender,movement outstanding.

Martin can finish but also links play better plays with his back to goal more but will not worry defenders by running off them like bent.

The key to both being  productive  in any formation Pearson picks is one Will Hughes who see's the game as if sitting high in the stand with a overview of everyone's position.

Both bent and Martin are capable of banging a lot of goals in if played properly and motivated ,, I'm 100% in favour of neither of them being garunteed a starting place and both knowing that they have an equal chance of getting in the team and holding a place down if they produce ,,, we had a pretence of that last season , be interesting to see if it motivates both players now it's really the case under Pearson ,, that's gonna run through the whole squad now ,, we built a big squad but competition for first team places really was only paid lip service ,,, result was first teamers totally inconsistent and squad players/ subs not motivated enough to grab their chance if it came along ,,,, there's a new sheriff in town 

4 minutes ago, Beagle said:

Bent best finisher in this division bar non but that is what he is a finisher of chances and it took him to the top level and plays off the last defender,movement outstanding.

Martin can finish but also links play better plays with his back to goal more but will not worry defenders by running off them like bent.

The key to both being  productive  in any formation Pearson picks is one Will Hughes who see's the game as if sitting high in the stand with a overview of everyone's position.

Yes sir.

Him and Jacob too.

Both future England players IMO.

With the addition of JK, even for twelve big ones, we could really rip this division to shreds.

Remember, you read it here first !!

Martin would then become a latter day John O'Hare. But with more goals in his locker.

2 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

Delete this, no room for common sense and being reasonable in today's current climate.

You're either adore the EU or think it's worse than human trafficking and it's either Bent or Martin, NO MIDDLE GROUND.

#BanEnigmaRam

2 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

#banEnigmaram

Thanks guys, feeling the love!! Lol

Archived