Darren Bent

Day

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Ewe Ram said:

I've never had a vocal go at him on match day but I have had a whinge about the number of times he gets caught offside. I like him, I like his attitude, I respect his experience and I hope he gives Martin a kick up the ass 

all players who play on last man get caught offside on aregular basis a la andre gray but the times they arnt they usually score its a sin we havent used bent more it would be ineresting to see his goals per game stats

2 hours ago, KBB said:

Start him, but put an announcement out over the tannoy to tell the cretins near me to not moan and jeer him when he gets caught offside and then sarcastically cheer him when he is onside.

he plays on the shoulder of the last man, he is expected to be caught offside. When he stays onside, he is in one v one.

He's only ever scored one 1 v 1 for us and that was a result of a poor back pass

I'd like to see derby in a 4-3-1-2, I think we could do very well

Carson

Christie     Keogh    Shackell   Fozzy

Hughes   Bryson   Johnson/Hendrick

Martin

Weimann          Bent

It would give us two strong strikers, martin doing what he does best and he'll have two very willing runners ahead of him already, Bryson to be the rock in the middle, hughes on the right to link play, johnson/hendrick protecting the left. It would also offer an easy switch to a 4-3-3 to give us width if that is what is required, switch Martin or Bent for the winger, and you're ready to go...

That formation with those players would be a good promotion charge I think

2 minutes ago, DerbyRam! said:

I'd like to see derby in a 4-3-1-2, I think we could do very well

Carson

Christie     Keogh    Shackell   Fozzy

Hughes   Bryson   Johnson/Hendrick

Martin

Weimann          Bent

It would give us two strong strikers, martin doing what he does best and he'll have two very willing runners ahead of him already, Bryson to be the rock in the middle, hughes on the right to link play, johnson/hendrick protecting the left. It would also offer an easy switch to a 4-3-3 to give us width if that is what is required, switch Martin or Bent for the winger, and you're ready to go...

That formation with those players would be a good promotion charge I think

Bryson to be the rock in the middle?

2 hours ago, KBB said:

Start him, but put an announcement out over the tannoy to tell the cretins near me to not moan and jeer him when he gets caught offside and then sarcastically cheer him when he is onside.

he plays on the shoulder of the last man, he is expected to be caught offside. When he stays onside, he is in one v one.

If he can work just a tad harder at staying onside then maybe he can aid the team, however I don't remember him scoring many (if any) 1 v 1's, I'm sure most of his goals are 1yd tap-ins aren't they?!

12 minutes ago, McLovin said:

It's not a case of Bent being sloppy in terms of being caught offside like some are suggesting. It's more of a case that our players take too long to play a through ball to him.

I don't disagree but if we're going to play Bent then that means playing midfielders who are known for playing through balls. As Thorne is injured that means Butterfield. I don't think any of our other midfielders, not even Hughes, are renowned for accurate through balls.

Alternatively if we play Martin then play someone who likes to bomb on like Bryson or Hendrick.

4 hours ago, CumbrianRam said:

Maybe because we played a system which wasn't suited to him this 4-4-1-1 is more his street, he can't play as lone striker but have someone support him.....

Yep I agree with that but ther were plenty of chances to pair him with Martin or give him 10-15 minuts

1 hour ago, StringerBell said:

I don't disagree but if we're going to play Bent then that means playing midfielders who are known for playing through balls. As Thorne is injured that means Butterfield. I don't think any of our other midfielders, not even Hughes, are renowned for accurate through balls.

Alternatively if we play Martin then play someone who likes to bomb on like Bryson or Hendrick.

Today's was a peach - awkward height, first time pass, 2-0.

7 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yes, but unlike many 'wanna-be strikers' he anticipated the keeper not dealing with it.

Which has absolutely no bearing on whether Hughes makes a habit of playing defence splitting passes to put the striker in one one one as opposed to percentage football passes like the one today.

As goal scorers go Bent has got it , it's natural but he seems like a guy who likes to be loved, if the managers got an arm around him and the fans are happy he will perform . He looked like he was happy here when he was on loan and scored 13 goals in half a season . Given a chance I genuinely believe we will see that Darren Bent again this season.  

23 minutes ago, needles said:

Hendrick has produced at least 2 cracking through balls in pre-season.

I thought Hendrick and Bryson were our only players who showed anything at all in the first half today.

Archived