Darren Bent

Day

Nice to see he's had a decent pre season, was on a lot of fans get rid lists this summer, I didn't agree as I like to have different options and not a Martin clone, the new formations we have been playing are more suited to him now.

Will never run around like Tito Villa but we have an experienced, right place right time, stick it in the net striker on the books that should be given a fair crack and not the last 2 minutes of games he's been restricted to.

Have no issues at all if he started ahead of Martin. That's not to say I dislike Martin but Bent is a top striker at this level.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I see it we have a premier league striker of proven ability who isn't as quick as he once and is maybe in the Indian summer of his career but has gained guile and experience along the way. He scores goals, consistently.

Minutes on the pitch ratio to goals scored .. Who wouldn't have in their squad ? 

And I know it sounds daft, but he always looks glad to be there 

Just now, Sparkle said:

I could never understand why we used him so little last season as his buisness is scoring goals and he can do it

Maybe because we played a system which wasn't suited to him this 4-4-1-1 is more his street, he can't play as lone striker but have someone support him.....

3 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I could never understand why we used him so little last season as his buisness is scoring goals and he can do it

because Martin was the favoured CF with system set up around him ......... and he cannot adapt to playing with a second striker.

Start him, but put an announcement out over the tannoy to tell the cretins near me to not moan and jeer him when he gets caught offside and then sarcastically cheer him when he is onside.

he plays on the shoulder of the last man, he is expected to be caught offside. When he stays onside, he is in one v one.

If Ince plays behind Bent the whole season then I'm going to predict they will get at least 35-40 goals between them. They have a telepathic understanding. Like I mentioned in another thread, when Martin plays alongside Ince, they get in each others way which ends up limiting both of their games. In contrast, Bent stretches the game and gives Ince more space to work his magic.

Bent makes me laugh with his goals.

Today was practically a worldie from range. 

There will probably be a thread like this on Hendrick when we have a couple of injuries or someone hits poor form and Hendrick steps up to fill in

Whereas if we sold him it'd be someone not as good. 

You need depth. There's room for em all. It's not do or die

I've never had a vocal go at him on match day but I have had a whinge about the number of times he gets caught offside. I like him, I like his attitude, I respect his experience and I hope he gives Martin a kick up the ass 

1 hour ago, t'oldu said:

because Martin was the favoured CF with system set up around him ......... and he cannot adapt to playing with a second striker.

This is completely unproven - he's never had a role playing so for Derby, not for enough games to judge properly. The number of assists Martin consistently makes suggests he's more than capable of doing so. As does the number of league goals he and Grant Holt scored playing alongside each other for Norwich in 2009/10 - 24 for Holt & 17 for Martin.

For the record, I'd start Bent & Ince together next week but I'm glad we have Martin too. In a 4-4-1-1 Martin is well capable of playing 10 behind Bent or 9 ahead of Ince.

Not sure why a thread in praise of Bent turns into a dig at Martin.

1 hour ago, KBB said:

Start him, but put an announcement out over the tannoy to tell the cretins near me to not moan and jeer him when he gets caught offside and then sarcastically cheer him when he is onside.

he plays on the shoulder of the last man, he is expected to be caught offside. When he stays onside, he is in one v one.

Absolutely, I don't mind him being offside so often. I blame how slow we are to play the through ball for him!!

24 minutes ago, Saul Pimpson said:

This is completely unproven - he's never had a role playing so for Derby, not for enough games to judge properly. The number of assists Martin consistently makes suggests he's more than capable of doing so. As does the number of league goals he and Grant Holt scored playing alongside each other for Norwich in 2009/10 - 24 for Holt & 17 for Martin.

Like this so much - lets hope NP does too, Martin is a fantastic footballer at this level. :)

Archived