We are the only team in the championship not to sign someone

Woodley Ram

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree. I'm happy not signing anyone. After some of the mistakes we've made in the past why should we. it takes time to build a good 'team'. Hopefully our scouts are looking at lower league talent as we can't really afford a good player from our league as even Jeff Hendrick is valued about £7m. Let the team settle 

It's not a problem and I'm sure Pearson would/will move to bring people in when he see's areas to improve. We have an unbalanced squad primarily in midfield now, as the defence has been trimmed a bit. 

I think we will see one maybe two players come in before the deadline, but they will be players who Pearson will have identified to fix an area where we are currently lacking. My guess would be a defensive midfield option and/or a winger. 

There could also be some departures still. 

Last year, we were the 'big spenders' which no doubt caused some unrest in the squad. A squad which is now bloated. All the spending had the day-after feelin of regret. A kind of indulgent mistake. BUT - if you think about it, we've done all of this season's spending last season and as a result spent about 1/4 as much as we'd have to spend this season (alright- that's an exaggeration, but you get the drift). The way that player prices have sky-rocketed in the last few months makes some of the purchases last season seem like bargains!!! Suddenly, 4.5 m for Ince, 3.5m for shacks and 1m for Olsson are looking not so bad. Grant Hanley went for 5.5m ffs.... 

So, I'm happy that we haven't spent anything this season. As we have loads of players that we bought last season at a lower price than we'd have to pay this season. 

I'm surprised we haven't, last season we did buy lots of players, yet still didn't address our inability to change a game by changing the formation that was still limited by the personnel we brought in.  I still don't see us as having a proper winger (Camara may be?), having pace with the ball, and the people to play 2 up top if needed.  Maybe Pearson is the missing piece in the jigsaw, however imo we are still stuck with the core of a side that have failed for the last 3 seasons, and so many midfield options that are good as individuals, yet struggle to play together.

The worry is that we lose points in the first month, as we expect players who weren't able to play a certain way last season, to  suddenly be able to do this, and we are playing catch up.  Still time though, and I'm sure the management team know more than I do having watched them every day :-)

Archived