We are the only team in the championship not to sign someone

Woodley Ram

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, curtains said:

What you got against Baird last year you slated me for having a less than perfect opinion on him. 

Now the lad is trying hard you don't want to give him a chance. 

I have nothing against Baird, I quite like him and want him to stay. Not sure I remember slating you last year about him though, either I have a really poor memory or you're mistaking me for someone else. My point was more towards wondering why you'd start him ahead of Keogh at CB.

In response, what do you have against Martin and Keogh? Keogh has always tried hard, won POTY twice and been part of our best defence in years. Martin has been our best striker in many, many years, top scorer for the past 3 and has also created plenty of goals. They've proven themselves year after year, so why won't you give them a chance under Pearson?

6 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

I have nothing against Baird, I quite like him and want him to stay. Not sure I remember slating you last year about him though, either I have a really poor memory or you're mistaking me for someone else. My point was more towards wondering why you'd start him ahead of Keogh at CB.

In response, what do you have against Martin and Keogh? Keogh has always tried hard, won POTY twice and been part of our best defence in years. Martin has been our best striker in many, many years, top scorer for the past 3 and has also created plenty of goals. They've proven themselves year after year, so why won't you give them a chance under Pearson?

No I think it was you because I called him a journeyman which is not necessarily a bad thing as he has experience. 

Ive told you why I want to replace Keogh and Martin if we can sell them for decent fees and the way to do that is not play them and hope someone comes in for them. 

Keogh goes to ground too early and dives in and makes silly mistakes. 

He has some assets of course he does that's why we would want a fee .

Martin I don't believe is going to be able to play in a 4-4-1-1 and that's my opinion and of course we would get a transfer fee. 

FFP would then be manageable and we could buy a few players and have a fresh impetus 

2 minutes ago, curtains said:

No I think it was you because I called him a journeyman which is not necessarily a bad thing as he has experience. 

Ive told you why I want to replace Keogh and Martin if we can sell them for decent fees and the way to do that is not play them and hope someone comes in for them. 

Keogh goes to ground too early and dives in and makes silly mistakes. 

He has some assets of course he does that's why we would want a fee .

Martin I don't believe is going to be able to play in a 4-4-1-1 and that's my opinion and of course we would get a transfer fee. 

FFP would then be manageable and we could buy a few players and have a fresh impetus 

That's much better, providing reasons for you opinion helps massively. And I even agree with a few bits, Keogh does make some silly mistakes and both would command a good fee. I personally want them to stay because I don't think it would be easy to find a CB better than Keogh who would cost a similar amount (Chester maybe, but he's not had a full season of first team football for 3 years now so would be a bit of a risk) and the only striker I feel is realistic to replace Martin and is better than him is McCormack, but it looks like he's off to Norwich.

Anyway chap, I'm off to cook some dinner so I won't be able to respond for a while, au revoir.

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

Last year I said I thought the signings were poor. This summer I think our lack of activity will also be our downfall.

I admire Pearson for wanting to stick with what he has and not make any rash decisions, but we're so short and should we adopt his favoured 4-4-1-1/4-4-2 formation, we're arguably four players short.

I don't like our lack of CB cover, the fact we look like playing Blackman and a CM in wide areas and potentially Darren 'all I can offer is running in behind' Bent as our lone CF.

Can't believe, 26 months on, how much worse our starting XI is now to the one that played in the playoff final.

I think we're at a bit of a crossroads though. We bought so badly last season that our squad's a mess. Whatever system we go for I'd guess that four or five players, either big buys or members of the old guard, will need to be moved on. 

56 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

I don't agree that we're 'so short.' I'd love us to sign a couple of quality players, not because I think we're short in areas but because I think we can be improved, but obviously that would require 1 or 2 to leave. And I personally quite like our CB cover at the minute, Pearce is decent and is proven at this level and Rawson did well for Rotherham and has looked decent during pre season. If we sign another CB it just defeats the purpose of having a top academy if players like Rawson get pushed further down the pecking order because we aren't prepared to take a risk and play him should Keogh/Shackell/Pearce get injured/suspended.

And the final point about our current team being worse than the play off final team. The team has barely changed. A couple may have gotten worse as they've aged such as Bryson, but then some of the younger players have gotten better, Hughes, Hendrick etc.

Grant - Carson - improved

Wisdom - Christie - not sure if it's an improvement, but there's not a ton of difference between them

Keogh - Keogh

Buxton - Shackell - improved

Forsyth - Forsyth/Olsson - might not be the same after his injury but not much of a change

Thorne - Thorne

Hughes - Hughes

Hendrick - Ince - improved

Russell - Russell

Ward - Blackman/Razza - worse

Martin - Martin

Not quite sure how the starting 11 is 'much worse' now than it was for the play off final.

I think our back five then were much better, a much more close-knit unit.

Midfield, we had the perfect balance with Thorne sitting and Hughes plus either Bryson/Hendrick - IMO the latter two have regressed from the 2013/14 season and no longer have the same roles.

Ward, Russell and Martin as a front three were far better in that season than anything we've had since, and we've spent a shed load of money trying to improve on that and failed miserably.

Where before we had players like Dawkins and Bamford on the bench who could contribute to the side in their own way, now we have Bent and Blackman who actually only make us worse when they step out on to the pitch.

It's so disappointing to see what we had, and since then watch the likes of Bournemouth, Boro and Watford overtake us and now sit currently miles ahead of us in terms of squad quality.

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

I think our back five then were much better, a much more close-knit unit.

Midfield, we had the perfect balance with Thorne sitting and Hughes plus either Bryson/Hendrick - IMO the latter two have regressed from the 2013/14 season and no longer have the same roles.

Ward, Russell and Martin as a front three were far better in that season than anything we've had since, and we've spent a shed load of money trying to improve on that and failed miserably.

Where before we had players like Dawkins and Bamford on the bench who could contribute to the side in their own way, now we have Bent and Blackman who actually only make us worse when they step out on to the pitch.

It's so disappointing to see what we had, and since then watch the likes of Bournemouth, Boro and Watford overtake us and now sit currently miles ahead of us in terms of squad quality.

Chin up bris. 

I keep believing that a number of our rank underachievers are going to have an epiphany moment under pearson. 

I hate the thought of wasting years.....

5 hours ago, admira said:

Three centre backs have left so that's the only area I'd like to see a little investment. Pearce and Rawson (I assume) as cover might not be enough.

I think we are okay there with Hanson and FoZzy both being able to fill in there after the ones you mention. 

I think we have enough quality in reserve the likes of Lowe ,Guy,Elsnik etc will be more than capable as Mr Morris wanted originally instead of spending otherwise what's the point in our academy this is the direction we should be taking in this crazy time of inflated transfer fees and wages. I get much more of a buzz watching home grown players getting to play than new signings.

5 minutes ago, CastletonRam said:

Squad for the play-offs wasn't good enough. Squad this season is exactly same + our rivals have strengthened. Squad is therefore comparably worse than last year since other teams have gone past us. We have to spend just to keep up. 

Not good enough? Did you not watch the 2nd leg?

I'd argue the managers were not good enough not the squad. 

Let's give this one the time he needs with the squad and see what comes. 

He's had a few weeks with them, it may take some time to come right but I won't be writing him off after a few defeats as unlike so many, I have a realistic view of football and know it really not like playing football manager. 

32 minutes ago, CastletonRam said:

Did you not watch the 1st?

When for some reason we totally misused the players and tried to out muscle Hull, an example of this being that we used Bradley Johnson in some sort of weird Fellaini type role, that game? 

17 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

You think we're  a better team with Bent and Blackman in it? 

it's a ridiculous question and you know it. Barcelona's subs make the team worse when it's Suarez, Neymar and Messi coming off. It's a squad game. Derby have had average (at best) substitutes for 15 years!

I'm pretty sure we'll make 1-2 signings this summer, perhaps even a couple next week, but I do like that Pearson has done the groundwork on the players he had at his disposal. 

It's all about maximising what you have available. I think we all know that 90% of the squad were poor to their previously set standards last season, due to whatever reason, and if Pearson can rectify that then we will be laughing. For me, it's more to do with consistency than it is quality. I do agree we're a little short at centre back, and the cover at right back is far from ideal, and perhaps another winger would be nice if we're to play the 4-4-1-1 formation. I don't think, however, that it will make or break our season.

I'd look to bring in a winger as the main priority. I'd then look at bringing in a centre back. I'd then look at bringing in a right back - perhaps one who can cover a number of positions if possible. 

I also don't know what funds we have to work with - it could well be that the pot is completely empty. 

Archived