Tom Ince

DEL

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think part of the problem with Ince is that we can look a better team without. In the playoff game when he was on the bench, Weimans style of running on/ beyond the last shoulder stretched the opposition making it easier for the midfielders to play and find Martin etc.

When Ince came on he was coming back towards us, at one point taking the ball around the back of Hendrick.

It is not that I do not rate him, it is just that when he plays and we do not have the 'stretcher' up front we are closing up our own space. As an earlier poster questioned, is this an Ince and Martin playing together thing. I would hope not. Seeing as Martin is great at playing others in, and I am sure I have seen Ince score from a Martin layoff, but maybe it is.

Maybe we should try Ince behind Martin and Weiman ? But then I would be tempted to use Hughes.

After all this I realise we do have a great squad though !! We can only really play 3 of Ince, Martin, Bent ,Hughes, Russell, Blackman, Camara,

which leaves us only 3 of Thorne, Hanson, Hendrick, Butterfield, Bryson, Johnson, Hughes

Eager awaiting Nigels solutions to this lovely problem

1 hour ago, rynny said:

A match winner??

A match winner that shows inconsistencies and can go missing during games.Dont get me wrong not knocking the lad has exceptional ability just hope NP can sort out a few issues with him as he has the ability to become an exceptional player.

My mate watched his Huddersfield side get beaten against us and after said that ince is **** hot. Said he was easily the best player on the pitch and cant understand why he is in the championship.

Obviously he hasn't watched him enough times to see the frustrating side of him but if we are honest I think he's our most talented player alongside hughes.

19 minutes ago, ram1964 said:

A match winner that shows inconsistencies and can go missing during games.Dont get me wrong not knocking the lad has exceptional ability just hope NP can sort out a few issues with him as he has the ability to become an exceptional player.

Simple answer is that when he goes missing, substitute him until he gets the general idea. same for all the other players. Just increasing effort and concentration levels is worth 10 points per season, if not more. See Leicester for details.

Thorne, Hughes and Ince are the three players in our squad with the highest amount of ability and potential.

Ince will contribute 20 goals a season without getting out of second gear! If Pearson can do what McClaren did to Ince then he will be in double figures before December. 

I'd say he's comfortably our best player in the final third. 

I rate Ince, but not convinced it works with him and Christie down the right. The price you pay for Ince's attacking prowess is that the full-back gets a little bit more exposed - which is fine if it's a full-back like Craig Forsyth, but not if it's Christie who's marking the Steve Bloomer bust. I think that pairing exposes the weaker points in Christie's game.

I'm so glad he's our player though. He can be a bit frustrating at times, but you'd be nervous every time he ran at Your Average Championship Full Back if he played against you. 

1 minute ago, Duracell said:

I rate Ince, but not convinced it works with him and Christie down the right. The price you pay for Ince's attacking prowess is that the full-back gets a little bit more exposed - which is fine if it's a full-back like Craig Forsyth, but not if it's Christie who's marking the Steve Bloomer bust. I think that pairing exposes the weaker points in Christie's game.

I'm so glad he's our player though. He can be a bit frustrating at times, but you'd be nervous every time he ran at Your Average Championship Full Back if he played against you. 

Who was Hulls full back in the first leg 3-0 playoff semi final defeat then. 

1 hour ago, ram1964 said:

If he didn't show those inconsistencies to begin with we would never have signed him.

17 hours ago, Alpha said:

Was always against him signing and now I'm one of his biggest fans. 

Genuinley creative. Some of last season he just had so few options due to the lack of speed in our attacks. But he's unpredictable. 

I take that over somebody being sent down the line "beating his man" for an easy to defend near post defender. The praise heaped on Russell for "showing passion" (running) makes me more critical of him. And the criticism aimed at Ince for "not caring" (not running) makes me want to defend him.

Ince is good at football. It's easy to make a team of athletes look busy. But to get the best out of Ince and Martin etc is much more difficult. You have to provide certain situations for them. But these are genuinley quality players who actually have a product.

(I do like Russell btw. I just get annoyed that he gets praised for doing things others get criticised for but allowances are made because he runs a lot.)

Russell has admitted he wasn't good enough after games and over this summer in interviews. Hopefully he gets in the groove this season and is more effective, he's got all the attributes.

I think Ince is a great player and I much prefer him on the left than the right, or playing more central off Martin. 

I think he's the exact opposite of arrogant and needs a bit more belief in himself. 

Sometimes makes the wrong decision in a tight situation and it is this that I hope Pearson can help him with. 

1 hour ago, angieram said:

I think Ince is a great player and I much prefer him on the left than the right, or playing more central off Martin. 

I think he's the exact opposite of arrogant and needs a bit more belief in himself. 

Sometimes makes the wrong decision in a tight situation and it is this that I hope Pearson can help him with. 

Ince and Martin's confidence never seems to be related to the team performance. We could be 3-0 up but if things aren't coming off for them they just start getting caught a little bit more flat footed. They start snoozing a bit.

I'd imagine they're harsh on themselves (and probably others) 

Once a few things go right, regardless of the team form, they just suddenly switch on to everything. 

Ince more so than Martin. And the last thing he needs is moaning from the stands. 

He's a bit of a kid really. Can't seem to remain level headed. We need him thinking he's awesome because then he's usually brilliant 

4 hours ago, curtains said:

Who was Hulls full back in the first leg 3-0 playoff semi final defeat then. 

You first have to look at the distribution in the first third before pointing the finger at front players. It was shocking. 

Any I've seen many suggest that Derby looked a better team with Weimann in the 2nd leg. That's true for that game.

And in far more too many to mention Ince has looked better than Weimann

• 4 months later...
On 14 July 2016 at 18:39, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

Will have a great season ahead (this season coming up) and will score around 15+ goals, between 10-15 assists too. Back him rather throwing 'abuse' at him that is all. 

Look like it then.. 

:whistle:

Archived