Tom Ince

DEL

Will have a great season ahead (this season coming up) and will score around 15+ goals, between 10-15 assists too. Back him rather throwing 'abuse' at him that is all. 

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

Will have a great season ahead (this season coming up) and will score around 15+ goals, between 10-15 assists too. Back him rather throwing 'abuse' at him that is all. 

He had a great season last year

i still find it bemusing that the two players that have gotten the most flack from our 'fans' are both our highest AND second highest goal scorers AND assisters 

I think Blackman will come good this season, all this talk of a fast pacey striker... I really honestly do think he deserves a chance, he's had stick and yes has deserved it but why not give him a proper chance like he said today he's been given a fresh start and he seems very keen to take that chance unlike others have, I think Martin weimann Blackman and bent will be fine, they at least deserve a chance over pre season to show what they have. 

I may be wrong but he deserves a chance 

i hope he has a great season like every other Derby player.  Criticizing his sometimes low work rate is not abuse and if he has any sort of character it will spur him on and if it doesn't, well that will show something else eh.

Was always against him signing and now I'm one of his biggest fans. 

Genuinley creative. Some of last season he just had so few options due to the lack of speed in our attacks. But he's unpredictable. 

I take that over somebody being sent down the line "beating his man" for an easy to defend near post defender. The praise heaped on Russell for "showing passion" (running) makes me more critical of him. And the criticism aimed at Ince for "not caring" (not running) makes me want to defend him.

Ince is good at football. It's easy to make a team of athletes look busy. But to get the best out of Ince and Martin etc is much more difficult. You have to provide certain situations for them. But these are genuinley quality players who actually have a product.

(I do like Russell btw. I just get annoyed that he gets praised for doing things others get criticised for but allowances are made because he runs a lot.)

14 minutes ago, Lord_Ram said:

He had a great season last year

i still find it bemusing that the two players that have gotten the most flack from our 'fans' are both our highest AND second highest goal scorers AND assisters 

welcome to derby county football club mate

I'm going to go against the grain and say that Ince isn't arrogant, I actually think he plays within himself at times which is why he doesn't beat his man often, maybe due to lacking confidence at times. I do think he is better behind the striker than as a winger.

18 minutes ago, McLovin said:

I'm going to go against the grain and say that Ince isn't arrogant, I actually think he plays within himself at times which is why he doesn't beat his man often, maybe due to lacking confidence at times. I do think he is better behind the striker than as a winger.

Definitely better in a " number 10 " sort of role .

24 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Don't think you're really going against the grain. 

Most of the people who think he is arrogant had probably decided that before he had even kicked a ball for us, based on his father.

He gets branded as having a bad attitude by some people, as well as being lazy and not caring... Personally I couldn't disagree more with them.

Under Clement I was impressed with Ince's work rate in terms of tracking back, which you could also say takes a good attitude.

Also, I seem to remember a few goals where Ince has scored when we've been behind and he's run to get the ball from the net to try and get the play going again to get another goal, really not the actions of someone who 'doesn't care'.

50 minutes ago, philmycock said:

If he could take on a player and cross I'd be happy!

He can take on multiple players and crossing isn't essential to players like him. It's Cyrus who's crossing needs work. And Russell who uses old fashioned racing down the flank and hammers it into the nearest man

Corner given

Huge applause

Repeat until death 

3 hours ago, Alpha said:

Was always against him signing and now I'm one of his biggest fans. 

Genuinley creative. Some of last season he just had so few options due to the lack of speed in our attacks. But he's unpredictable. 

I take that over somebody being sent down the line "beating his man" for an easy to defend near post defender. The praise heaped on Russell for "showing passion" (running) makes me more critical of him. And the criticism aimed at Ince for "not caring" (not running) makes me want to defend him.

Ince is good at football. It's easy to make a team of athletes look busy. But to get the best out of Ince and Martin etc is much more difficult. You have to provide certain situations for them. But these are genuinley quality players who actually have a product.

(I do like Russell btw. I just get annoyed that he gets praised for doing things others get criticised for but allowances are made because he runs a lot.)

I was in the a same position, really wasn't sure it was a good idea to sign him. I was worried about his attitude and effort, etc.

However he's been fine and I find his work rate is overlooked, a lot of people accuse him of being lazy, he isn't at all and I'm not sure these people are watching the same player, the only thing I would say is that sometimes his body language gives the impression he doesn't care, but like with Martin I don't think it's a true reflection. 

I think he also suffers from not having a perpetual smile on his face all the time which is really important to some fans and I think this breeds some of the views you hear about him being arrogant, not caring and narcissistic. 

Unfortunately I also think some of the views that he is lazy, arrogant, has a chip on his shoulder etc comes from him being a young black footballer. I've read similar comments about Christie and it does make you wonder. I think this is symptomatic across most football forums and quite often when your linked with a young black footballer, the usual cliches appear. 

I'm not saying  everybody who has levelled this type of criticism at Inces door is going at it from that angle but I fear there are too many who are.

20 minutes ago, Orphanram said:

I think he also suffers from not having a perpetual smile on his face all the time which is really important to some fans and I think this breeds some of the views you hear about him being arrogant, not caring and narcissistic. 

Unfortunately I also think some of the views that he is lazy, arrogant, has a chip on his shoulder etc comes from him being a young black footballer. I've read similar comments about Christie and it does make you wonder. I think this is symptomatic across most football forums and quite often when your linked with a young black footballer, the usual cliches appear. 

I'm not saying  everybody who has levelled this type of criticism at Inces door is going at it from that angle but I fear there are too many who are.

Barnes springs to mind.

He's a devout Christian you know? Barnes that is.

Barnes is a symbol of everything many hate,

Flashy, Showy, artistic, flair, arrogance etc.. the days of this type of british footballer expressing themselves are long gone .

We then  moan when Janes Milner gets picked for England. The problem is these days people expect genius without amy of the flaws that come with that. They want results without taking the pragmatic approach that is required sometimes with regards to tactics. They expect  fotballers to turn up to training with their boots in a carrier bag, after jusy getting of the local bus mixing with the fans and doffing their flat caps to the elderly. It takes all sorts, it always has.

My personal view on Tom Ince is that he and Chris Martin don't compliment each other.

Both rely on other players working hard and moving the opposition to create space.

When Ince has players moving for him, he can exploit the gaps and is skilful enough to do so, either for himself or for others.  Martin is never going to do that as his strength is in receiving the ball and playing in a nice knock down for a player to run onto. Which is not Ince's strength.

It's reasonabl to suggest that both players have looked at their best when the other was not available for selection.

I think we need to be selecting players that compliment each other and that is either an Ince/Bent or Russell/Martin style partnership.

Obviously, that's an isolated selection, but in the attacking third, we would benefit by selecting the right combination.

Archived