French police **** up again.

davenportram

French police allow a 300 strong mob to attack in the old port in Marseille. A good atmosphere turned sour.

No police in the stadium and Russians attack our fans

Reports of local hooligans provoking England fans. Since Thursday.

Now in Nice local hooligans spark a riot by attacking Irish and Polish fans. Police criticised for "letting Nice Ultras walk into town and start it"

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/violence-nice-northern-ireland-poland-8171259?a

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, davenportram said:

its shocking how the reporting of events is different by media too.

Even more shocking that some of our politicians can't wait to score some EU brownie points by describing our fans as embarrassing, before the full facts have even emerged.

How much of a " No..not going to that" is Russia World Cup 2018!!!

And how moronic is the Russian sports minister for saying " why is Russia going to be worse than this.. It's a different tournament"!!

Has he zero clue about the football hooligan problems in his country... It's going to be like a " hello...welcome to being beaten senseless regardless of age, sex, culture" festival.,, bugger that. I won't be setting foot in that place. 

I see the apologists for English hooliganism have come from under their stones. Nothing changes,when violence happens it generally involves drunken,racist English thugs,who always blame everybody else for picking on them. I think everbody else now have had enough of it. Finally EUFA have threatened to boot us out if it happens again,about  time too.

3 minutes ago, top 6 finish said:

I see the apologists for English hooliganism have come from under their stones. Nothing changes,when violence happens it generally involves drunken,racist English thugs,who always blame everybody else for picking on them. I think everbody else now have had enough of it. Finally EUFA have threatened to boot us out if it happens again,about  time too.

What a crock of ****. 

Until you have followed England away you will never ever understand what goes on. It is without doubt the best and the worst away trip ever watching them. 

They aren't a bunch of angels that is for sure but the supporters that go these days are nothing at all to worry about, 95% have painted faces, kids and wives with them and have zero intention of causing any trouble. The ones that are dangerous are the 18-25 crowd who THINK they are big tough guys and have a couple of beers and start to sing songs about a political situation that happened long before they were born and they know nothing at all about. These are the ones that attract the trouble, but it is so so so easy to walk away from it and not get involved at all. I have been all over with England and have seen a lot of trouble (none of these "hooligans" would have survived a second in Poland in the 80's) but have managed to keep myself out of it mainly because I'm not stupid. 

From what I saw on the telebox the England fans were just hammered by a much bigger, stronger more organised mob of divs. 

It isn't the England fans fault, it is probably more accurate to say that it is the fault of hooligans in the 80's making the modern day fan a target. 

There are plenty of england fans trying get out of the way. Why punish incented england fan trying have a good time. But one who are fighting find out who they are and were they are staying take there tickets off them and send them home to face legal action.

14 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

Why punish incented england fan trying have a good time.

Because the papers and TV media think all football fans are scum and get everything they deserve. You, me and everyone on this site are scum and every copper who ever attended policing a game is a hero for risking their lives against our disgusting behaviour.

58 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

What a crock of ****. 

Until you have followed England away you will never ever understand what goes on. It is without doubt the best and the worst away trip ever watching them. 

They aren't a bunch of angels that is for sure but the supporters that go these days are nothing at all to worry about, 95% have painted faces, kids and wives with them and have zero intention of causing any trouble. The ones that are dangerous are the 18-25 crowd who THINK they are big tough guys and have a couple of beers and start to sing songs about a political situation that happened long before they were born and they know nothing at all about. These are the ones that attract the trouble, but it is so so so easy to walk away from it and not get involved at all. I have been all over with England and have seen a lot of trouble (none of these "hooligans" would have survived a second in Poland in the 80's) but have managed to keep myself out of it mainly because I'm not stupid. 

From what I saw on the telebox the England fans were just hammered by a much bigger, stronger more organised mob of divs. 

It isn't the England fans fault, it is probably more accurate to say that it is the fault of hooligans in the 80's making the modern day fan a target. 

Probably a lot of truth in this.

I was in Marseille for my first England international and am not one of the get drunk at all costs brigade that appeared the mentality of a lot of the English. As an example, our flight out ran out of beer on the second row of the plane because everyone was buying 10 cans each. Madness. We'd booked a nice hotel in the historic old port of Marseille as it looked (and was) a beautiful area, but it was also fan central. As you came out of the metro you were greeted by thousands of English fans drinking and chanting, every second of the day. Not my cup of tea, but generally all good natured. But madness that booze was being served in bottles and glasses, which seemed and was a recipe for disaster.

A mega payday for the French riot police who were absolutely everywhere, earning their overtime for standing around.

On the Saturday (yesterday) we were wandering round seeing tourist sights and shopping, but five times tear gas blew down a street we happened to be in and engulfed us. People were running in all directions and if the police saw anyone running they'd fire teargas at them, so there were often cannisters spinning around us. Very nasty stuff. We and others were trying to tell people to stay calm and just walk away from it all, out of the smoke, but a lot of people were panicking. Almost everyone was trying to avoid incident, but of course there were some who were acting all macho and going off to look for trouble.

Then we'd stopped for a bite to eat down a historic alleyway, sitting outside a nice cafe (drinking water in the heat) when all of a sudden 20 or 30 Russians in masks with knives stormed up the street towards us. The Russians were in some sort of uniform and organized as MR says. Bottles were flying every which way and we scarpered. At that point we decided to abandon the old town completely and walk to the stadium, expecting security to be better.

For the game I was in the posh seats overlooking the halfway line. Absolutely no segration, but it was fine. All wives and girlfriends and little kids. Absolutely no police anywhere, but no trouble at all. You could drink beer thoughout the game and indeed at your seat while watching the game, those people with beer tankers on their backs wandering through the seats trying to flog it. But it was only 0.5% Carling (I kid you not!).

Disappointed the (brilliant) Russian anthem was booed, but the pregame and during-game atmosphere was all good. There was an announcement over the tannoy for all the Russian fans to stay behind in their seats after the match, but then there were the fireworks at the end and an almighty bang very like a bomb.

And the Russian end emptied. Was it people running from the bang or was it people wanting to get at the English? Or was it people trying to get out of the stadium quickly before being held back for half an hour? Hard to tell, but it didn't look pretty and Russians and English in my part of the ground all got out together in a well-behaved orderly manner.

I wish the English weren't just crazily on the piss to excess and it must be intimidating for locals and others to be faced by this wall of red-faced drunken youth/middle age. And I hate how every story begins, "we were just having a drink when...". Plenty of them were way too far gone to make it anywhere near the ground let alone watch the match. But on the converse I was impressed by how many were actually trying to speak a bit of French, rather than simply franglais. And I definitely didn't see any of them instigate trouble and most were trying to get away from it. But as MR says, we have a reputation from the 70s and 80s of hooliganism and every trouble maker from another country will want to test themselves against the English.

What's the solution? I would perhaps say a complete alcohol ban, but for most that seems the reason they go. If that can't be done, then everything should be in plastic. But the French organization and policing should both have also been a lot better.

Just watched our sports news. They told that Brits and Russians have been fighting for three days and that ended Russians attacking Brits. Also Polish, French and some other fans (missed the third one) have been fighting and breaking things.
So most of the countries that have had a game have already caused trouble.

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

Probably a lot of truth in this.

I was in Marseille for my first England international and am not one of the get drunk at all costs brigade that appeared the mentality of a lot of the English. As an example, our flight out ran out of beer on the second row of the plane because everyone was buying 10 cans each. Madness. We'd booked a nice hotel in the historic old port of Marseille as it looked (and was) a beautiful area, but it was also fan central. As you came out of the metro you were greeted by thousands of English fans drinking and chanting, every second of the day. Not my cup of tea, but generally all good natured. But madness that booze was being served in bottles and glasses, which seemed and was a recipe for disaster.

A mega payday for the French riot police who were absolutely everywhere, earning their overtime for standing around.

On the Saturday (yesterday) we were wandering round seeing tourist sights and shopping, but five times tear gas blew down a street we happened to be in and engulfed us. People were running in all directions and if the police saw anyone running they'd fire teargas at them, so there were often cannisters spinning around us. Very nasty stuff. We and others were trying to tell people to stay calm and just walk away from it all, out of the smoke, but a lot of people were panicking. Almost everyone was trying to avoid incident, but of course there were some who were acting all macho and going off to look for trouble.

Then we'd stopped for a bite to eat down a historic alleyway, sitting outside a nice cafe (drinking water in the heat) when all of a sudden 20 or 30 Russians in masks with knives stormed up the street towards us. The Russians were in some sort of uniform and organized as MR says. Bottles were flying every which way and we scarpered. At that point we decided to abandon the old town completely and walk to the stadium, expecting security to be better.

For the game I was in the posh seats overlooking the halfway line. Absolutely no segration, but it was fine. All wives and girlfriends and little kids. Absolutely no police anywhere, but no trouble at all. You could drink beer thoughout the game and indeed at your seat while watching the game, those people with beer tankers on their backs wandering through the seats trying to flog it. But it was only 0.5% Carling (I kid you not!).

Disappointed the (brilliant) Russian anthem was booed, but the pregame and during-game atmosphere was all good. There was an announcement over the tannoy for all the Russian fans to stay behind in their seats after the match, but then there were the fireworks at the end and an almighty bang very like a bomb.

And the Russian end emptied. Was it people running from the bang or was it people wanting to get at the English? Or was it people trying to get out of the stadium quickly before being held back for half an hour? Hard to tell, but it didn't look pretty and Russians and English in my part of the ground all got out together in a well-behaved orderly manner.

I wish the English weren't just crazily on the piss to excess and it must be intimidating for locals and others to be faced by this wall of red-faced drunken youth/middle age. And I hate how every story begins, "we were just having a drink when...". Plenty of them were way too far gone to make it anywhere near the ground let alone watch the match. But on the converse I was impressed by how many were actually trying to speak a bit of French, rather than simply franglais. And I definitely didn't see any of them instigate trouble and most were trying to get away from it. But as MR says, we have a reputation from the 70s and 80s of hooliganism and every trouble maker from another country will want to test themselves against the English.

What's the solution? I would perhaps say a complete alcohol ban, but for most that seems the reason they go. If that can't be done, then everything should be in plastic. But the French organization and policing should both have also been a lot better.

Sounds like you had an interesting trip to say the least. 

I am pretty sure I said on here when the draw was announced from experience not to go anywhere near Marseille...it is a dump of a place, don't let the "old port" area con you, it is just where all the prostitues and thieves are, such a shame because the area around the city is beautiful. 

Are you going to Lens.? We went in 98, it was an awesome time, great little city that was also on a "alcohol ban" when we were there, but all this meant was that you couldn't buy beer without food, so all the English (and I expect this to happen again) were just sitting outside bars with a plate of spag Bol and 10 pints each.

Archived