Jonathan Kodjia - Signed for Villa

DcFc Dyycheee

Just not heard from a untrusty source who's the big daddy of sauces that we have a new trainers supplier !  Some guy who has more trainers than sports direct.  

Not sure if I should post it here in this tread but if I've put my foot in it don't blame me for giving you the run around.  I couldn't bite my tongues any longer...

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, TopRam said:

Looks like Wiki has agreed with Ramspolls

Never trust Wiki for anything, its open for anyone to edit. I could put that my dog plays for Derby. Wikipedia is good for getting a basic understanding of something be that history or similar, but anything else I would take with a pinch of salt.

1 minute ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

Never trust Wiki for anything, its open for anyone to edit. I could put that my dog plays for Derby. Wikipedia is good for getting a basic understanding of something be that history or similar, but anything else I would take with a pinch of salt.

Did you not read the full post?

4 hours ago, deanoakaram4life said:

I'd love it if we got kodjia! Great striker and is exactly the mould of striker we need! Please sign him Mel.....

How much do you know about him, exactly?

"He's very fast and he scores lots of goals" seems to be about as much of an understanding as people have reached.

Well...

monkey-island-2-big-whoop.jpg

I'm not saying he is or isn't, because I don't know, but I'd rather we didn't spend untold millions on yet another striker who's potentially useless outside of the box!

6 hours ago, Coconut said:

How much do you know about him, exactly?

"He's very fast and he scores lots of goals" seems to be about as much of an understanding as people have reached.

Well...

monkey-island-2-big-whoop.jpg

I'm not saying he is or isn't, because I don't know, but I'd rather we didn't spend untold millions on yet another striker who's potentially useless outside of the box!

Why not go and look at his goals or some highlights on YouTube then?

He most definitely isn't useless outside the box. He can be frustrating, because he can be a bit greedy, and doesn't always spot the obvious pass.

He scores all types of goals, although not a natural finisher.  Scored a few headers, and one with his left foot (against you).

He is very creative, and if we'd had a poacher last season to go alongside him, he'd have assisted half a dozen tap-ins.

He's not the hardest worker off the ball, but you want to save him doing shuttles between the opponents back four, so that he can be explosive when you've got the ball.

I would be gutted if he left, because we don't need to sell.  I would think if there was truth in Derby doing a deal, some other lower end Prem clubs would come on for him.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Why not go and look at his goals or some highlights on YouTube then?

...because YouTube highlights videos  can be a really, really bad way to judge a player. The ones posted at the start of this thread were useless, they showed him sticking the ball in the net, and nothing else.

Testimony from someone watches him regularly is better, so thanks for putting some meat on the bones - nobody had actually mentioned his general play until now, the issue needed forcing!

Your description does make him sound like Tom Ince with the addition of being able to head the ball though, and we already threw £5m at one of him. The last thing we need is to to spend double that amount on another "frustrating player who can be a bit greedy, and doesn't always spot the obvious pass"

If it is possible to get a copy of the City v Ipswich game last season, City won 2-1), get it.  For me it was a game where the fickle City fans thought he did nothing...because he didn't have any chances, didn't score etc.  Yet for me it was the performance that said he had adjusted to The Championship, had got used to what was expected of him as a team player.  The boo-boys came out and criticised his performance, yet the manager came out on the radio in that week, and praised the way he ran the channels, helped the team get up the pitch, and our midfielders into advanced positions.

Judging by his past season at Bristol he seems to be a very good striker that scores goals. What I want to know, why didn't we know about him last summer? If Bristol can sign him for £2m unchallenged, then 12 months later ask for £10m+ surely our scouting team needs looking at. 

12 minutes ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

Judging by his past season at Bristol he seems to be a very good striker that scores goals. What I want to know, why didn't we know about him last summer? If Bristol can sign him for £2m unchallenged, then 12 months later ask for £10m+ surely our scouting team needs looking at. 

The worst thing about this is that surely our scouts saw him at Angers when they were scouting Camara! Pretty sure the club said we had been watching Camara for a year, so how/why didnt we spot Kodjia to and get him for £2m

1 hour ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

Our scouting's needed looking at ever since Clough left! 

When Kodjia signed for Bristol, he'd only played for Angers in Ligue 2, he left in the summer. I don't believe we were watching Camara until after last season started, to be honest. 

Pearson's transfer history has a lot of signings from lower leagues in England and Europe, so perhaps we'll see an improvement in scouting but I've seen no evidence from our previous regimes to suggest that they'd have even looked at a Ligue 2 side, unless it was to find youth.

In fairness, from what I've seen our recent surge in European youth scouting is really, really good. Obviously, you don't see any reward in that for a couple of years minimum but they look a talented bunch. 

I think looking abroad is certainly a hit and miss; for every Kodjia there's an Albentosa. 

For what it's worth, though, it seems our scouting network is somewhat lazy and unimaginative. I think any person with half a brain cell could say Kodjia would be a good signing. He scored 19 goals last season, he's been consistent over his career...etc and we know he's going to have huge valuation. 

I don't necessarily think Kodjia is a must signing. We've got a good squad, and I do think we can afford to take a few chances. 

An example would be Will Keane. He's not in the picture at United, he's not been outstanding out on loan and at the minute his valuation is down. He bagged 10 goals in 8 games in the past season for the under-21s. I would see him as a player we could potentially grow into a good striker. On the other hand, even if we sign him on low wages, for a low fee, and he doesn't live up to his potential, we haven't lost much. 

I'd like to see us invest more into promising young players and trust ourselves to develop them. 

Of course he's not worth £10m, unless you don't want to accept this is an over-inflated market, on the back of a record tv deal.  Nor do City need to sell.  Supply v Demand.

Would think our signing of Tomlin this morning (to be announced), shows our intent to build a team that can finish much higher up the table.  Would expect Tomlin and Kodjia to be a key part of it.

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Of course he's not worth £10m, unless you don't want to accept this is an over-inflated market, on the back of a record tv deal.  Nor do City need to sell.  Supply v Demand.

Would think our signing of Tomlin this morning (to be announced), shows our intent to build a team that can finish much higher up the table.  Would expect Tomlin and Kodjia to be a key part of it.

Prepare to be disappointed. 

27 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Where did you finish last year? Because Tomlin is a classic mid-table signing if I've ever seen one...

It's true that you entirely control the supply here... But I suspect the demand side is the questionable angle... £10m is the price for a proven goalscorer NOT a one season wonder... At the moment he's way too much of a gamble to pay that much for... He needs another season of the same form before he'd be worth even close to £10m...

Archived