Jonathan Kodjia - Signed for Villa

DcFc Dyycheee

20 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Where did you finish last year? Because Tomlin is a classic mid-table signing if I've ever seen one...

It's true that you entirely control the supply here... But I suspect the demand side is the questionable angle... £10m is the price for a proven goalscorer NOT a one season wonder... At the moment he's way too much of a gamble to pay that much for... He needs another season of the same form before he'd be worth even close to £10m...

Totally agree, I wouldn't want to pay it in your position either.  Just the state of football these days.  Take Nahki Wells instead if you want more than one season's girls to fall back on.  How much would he cost?  £8-10m also.

Re Tomlin, he was a pretty decent player in Middkesborough's promotion push the season before....that prompted the move to Bournemouth.  So not sure mid-table is fair.  Personally I don't think we will get anywhere near play-offs like some City fans think.  It didn't work out there, but some Bournemouth fans think that Callum Wilson's injury (just as the two were forming a partnership) was the key moment in Tomlin;s game time.  Obviously once he'd fallen out of favour in Howe's new formation, his tweeting let him down.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Totally agree, I wouldn't want to pay it in your position either.  Just the state of football these days.  Take Nahki Wells instead if you want more than one season's girls to fall back on.  How much would he cost?  £8-10m also.

Re Tomlin, he was a pretty decent player in Middkesborough's promotion push the season before....that prompted the move to Bournemouth.  So not sure mid-table is fair.  Personally I don't think we will get anywhere near play-offs like some City fans think.  It didn't work out there, but some Bournemouth fans think that Callum Wilson's injury (just as the two were forming a partnership) was the key moment in Tomlin;s game time.  Obviously once he'd fallen out of favour in Howe's new formation, his tweeting let him down.

I think you'll be there or there abouts next season. Good squad and a good manager 

53 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I remain unconvinced... I think upgrading on players like Tomlin is what got Boro promoted last season... I still think his signing for Bournemouth was bizarre and felt like one of those "well he always plays well against us so he must be decent" signings...

Yep, but they weren't far away the season before, that's what I'm trying to say.  Our form with him in the side was around 7th / 8th.  That against a backdrop of relegation worry.  He is better than mid-table, whether the rest of the side is or not, is still to be seen.

There are plenty of players who you think can make the step up to Prem, and don't, and those of the flip-side too.

There are plenty who thought Wes Morgan was tripe in the Championship, yet he's just gone on won the Prem at Leicester.

Tomlin certainly improved us and sone if our players, e.g. Kodjia's goal return, Bobby Reid's emergence.  He will be a great signing for us.

Back to Kodjia, who else would you go for if you can't get him?

We paid £6m for brad Johnson and £3m for nick Blackman. Of course we'd pay £10m for another championship p layer. Football is daft these days.

Enjoyed going to Bristol away a few months ago, the new stand will be nice when it's opened and the cricket club was friendly so all the best weather design the bloke or not.

Not said you won't or can't, just suggesting that the asking price is likely to be in that region because of the market forces in play.  Wells was used as a comparison, as suspect held be same ballpark too.

Do you see your club going for it?

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Not said you won't or can't, just suggesting that the asking price is likely to be in that region because of the market forces in play.  Wells was used as a comparison, as suspect held be same ballpark too.

Do you see your club going for it?

There are a limited number of clubs in the league who would be prepared to stump out £10m for a player... Newcastle and Villa are going to go for players of a more proven calibre... And I can't see anyone in the Prem coming down for him...

I would imagine if we were thinking of spending that kind of fee on a player we'd go for McCormack...

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, but they weren't far away the season before, that's what I'm trying to say.  Our form with him in the side was around 7th / 8th.  That against a backdrop of relegation worry.  He is better than mid-table, whether the rest of the side is or not, is still to be seen.

There are plenty of players who you think can make the step up to Prem, and don't, and those of the flip-side too.

There are plenty who thought Wes Morgan was tripe in the Championship, yet he's just gone on won the Prem at Leicester.

Tomlin certainly improved us and sone if our players, e.g. Kodjia's goal return, Bobby Reid's emergence.  He will be a great signing for us.

Back to Kodjia, who else would you go for if you can't get him?

Could see Nhaki Wells being 2nd choice. 

Kodija's obviously a good player but, as I said earlier in the thread, it's a strategic error trying to buy from a club that is ambitious, strong financially and actually flush with cash. That means he's never going to be a good-value signing. As we saw with Butterfield (with Huddersfield in nothing like as strong a position) when the other team had no reason to sell, the selling club could keep asking for more and then more and we ended up going on to pay it.

Part of the job of a recruitment department should be to look beyond the player but also evaluate the selling club's situation. otherwise we're going to waste an awful lot of Mel's money.

Kodjia to Derby for £4m all but done. They've got themselves a bargain there #dcfc 

only a a fan of Bristol city but 15k followers 

If we sell Hughes for 7m after buying this 27 year old with one good season under his belt for 5m.... then the football world has gone bonkers. 

I trust the ostrich man though, having the ostrich man is enough for me this summer lol

16vkrw.jpg

Archived